PBY Catalina at NAS North Island

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I was at NAS North Island (7/25/20)yesterday and as I was heading to the beach I saw a PBY Catalina do a low pass and then turn downwind for landing. It was very cool.

Then while driving around the base I saw two Avengers parked on the far side ramp. Im not sure what they were doing there.

I posted the video on Youtube.

Going to hitch a ride on the Wasp to Pearl. Got a buddy that's going, along with his T-6. I think there's about 24 aircraft involved. Movement is to support 75th anniversary of VJ Day in Hawaii.

The Wasp???

The Wasp???

Just another boat.

File:USS_Wasp_(LHD-1)_Osprey_2.jpg

Thanks for the video. I like Catalinas.

The Wasp???

Sorry, habit of dropping the USS part. Spent lots of time getting my bird ready for initial deck and flight ops qualifications via the Wasp. Unfortunately only the Pax River guys from the company got to go aboard.

Was the your plane sitting on the deck? I didnt get a picture of it but on the other side of the base there was a plane that looked like an Avenger sitting on the deck of an LSD. I assumed they were filming a movie.

I was at NAS North Island (7/25/20)yesterday and as I was heading to the beach I saw a PBY Catalina do a low pass and then turn downwind for landing. It was very cool.

Then while driving around the base I saw two Avengers parked on the far side ramp. Im not sure what they were doing there.

I posted the video on Youtube.

Damn! Jealous you got to see that. PBY is one of favorite planes.

Nice. And, as a random thing, the other day I done learnt that the flight engineer actually sits up in the pylon in a PBY.

Going to hitch a ride on the Wasp to Pearl. Got a buddy that's going, along with his T-6. I think there's about 24 aircraft involved. Movement is to support 75th anniversary of VJ Day in Hawaii.
Where are you based? One of the guys at my airport south of Dallas just got his T-6 ready about a month ago for this trip.

Where are you based? One of the guys at my airport south of Dallas just got his T-6 ready about a month ago for this trip.

I'm in between airports right now. My buddies are based at Propwash, Aero Valley and Addison for the most part.

Any details on the celebration at Pearl for VJ day you can share? When/Where/How? Hopefully there will be some good coverage.

That is cool. One of my last solo flights before my checkride (in 2006) was just before Sun-N-Fun. I flew to Leesburg (KLEE) to spend some time doing T&Gs. As I approached (it was a pilot controlled field then) I heard someone calling position reports as Catalina. Sure enough, I got to share the pattern with a Catalina who proceeded to land and taxi in. I have no video (I was a student pilot and was way to busy to bother even if I'd had a camera) but it was very cool!

Pugs: From what I know, they are going to do a bunch of flybys, and some ground displays. Lots of the plans were up in the air so to speak over the Covid garbage. They were supposed to load yesterday I think. Last time I talked to my buddy was about 3 weeks ago, so no clue about the final details.

That's a PBY-5A. The -5A was the first of the amphibian Catalinas. It sure looked good in the video, thanks for sharing.

Looks like they are loading onboard the Essex instead of the Wasp. Don't know if that was the original plan or things got changed. Rumble is that the PV2 lost an engine enroute and isn't going to load. Bummer for the Fort Stockton guys and gals that have her.

Back