Garmin problems today?

Probably started from some executive responding to a phishing scheme. Just because they were attacked doesn't mean they have to pay a ransom to get back online They are probably backed up but it may take time to restore form their offline server replicas or backups and make sure the hole isn't still open. Will be easier for the IT guys to finally get the higher ups to buy into multi-factor identification.

Cyber criminals should be sought out and strung up.

Cyber criminals should be sought out and strung up.

Probably should string up the OS makers and their customers who don’t demand better and pay for it.

Desktop computing as a commodity priced thing is basically useless when 90% of business use truly only needs a dumb terminal incapable of running any code, let alone malicious stuff.

Sending files through email overall, has always been a relatively stupid solution for business purposes.

Bur it’s really difficult to pry people away from Outlook, which has probably caused more destruction in its lifespan than nearly any other popular piece of software yet created... if you don’t count WordPerfect and lawyers. :)

I won’t be able to try for a few hours, but just got this update from a customer service query I sent a couple of days ago:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by our outage from 23 July to 26 July 2020.

For more information, please visit https://www.garmin.com/en-US/outage/.

Aviation Services have been restored. For status updates on our aviation services, please visit and subscribe to updates at: status.flygarmin.com.

Thank you for being a loyal Garmin customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I laughed at one of the headlines today.

“Millions of workout people cried out in pain as Garmin systems fail.”

LOL. My God man! I can’t count my steps and get likes on social media for walking around today! :)

This is why I go old school when it comes to QuickBooks and my business. The cloud does nothing for me except leave my information more vulnerable to these sorts of things.

Looks like it is back at it again. These items were syncing earlier today.

Screenshot_20200726-191651_Pilot.jpg

I laughed at one of the headlines today.

“Millions of workout people cried out in pain as Garmin systems fail.”

LOL. My God man! I can’t count my steps and get likes on social media for walking around today! :)

My Garmin fitness tracker is still counting my steps. I just have to read them on the built-in display instead of on my phone.

It is up and appears to be working this morning, I am downloading my charts now. We'll see what happens!!
edit: The G600 update loaded with no error messages and the GTN750 is loading now!

Last edited:
I was finally successful updating 430W cards on Windows this morning as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad system if they can't recover quickly. I don't have the budget of monster IT departments and my sites will only lose a day's worth of activity in the WORST case. And there are more things than just hacking that can take you down. One bad third-party software update that trips a bug not able to be detected in testing can cause issues as well. In actuality, in addition to snapshotting the entire system once a day, I do multiple database backups several times a day. The only time I've ever been hacked was on demo systems that I left up with no security because I figured I'd just be deleting them in a few days anyhow. That claimed to be a "ransomware" attack as well, but in fact, they didn't actually take the data, just erase the visible tables. It turns out they were just fishing for bitcoins to be sent to them. Those who were stupid enough to send money to them, never heard anything further.

My Garmin fitness tracker is still counting my steps. I just have to read them on the built-in display instead of on my phone.
Yeah, I laughed when I read the earlier comment but realize it has some validity as there are people out there that only track steps/running times, etc... for a social media account they run. Some actually make money at it but I believe the majority just do it for extra likes. You know, your not living if you don't have likes on your social media account.

However, I can still see what I need to see and my running averages don't change by the availability of the app.

Just tried to buy the database for my unit, and the web site says it cannot process orders at this time.

Way to encourage this kind of behavior. Nice, Garmin, nice.

I wonder how bad it would have been if they’d just restored from backups?
No kidding. I would much prefer things be down for a week or two than give $10MM to these asshats.

Kinda hints they didn’t have any or the backup servers got hit.

Wouldn't that require having backups that were disconnected from their networks from the time of infection to the time the problem was discovered?

Wouldn't that require having backups that were disconnected from their networks from the time of infection to the time the problem was discovered?

Yes. Or at least properly shielded from network shenanigans and/or on multiple OSes to alleviate attacks on any particular one.

At their size some on site for speed of recovery and some off site for disaster prep also. Multiple layers.

And a decent guess at retention times for short, medium, and long term restores. But stuff like databases go too stale too fast to retain for lengthy times, so the OS and application layer are retained a long way back for stuff like this and the database data is then rolled forward from much newer database only backups since these sorts of payloads don’t live inside that data.

It’s... a serious planning project. Almost nobody gets it exactly right. But if you have the “critical, must have this stuff to do business” portion of it right, sometimes you just lose the non-critical stuff in a worst case scenario.

The non-critical stuff wouldn’t be worth the ransom money.

Back