DME Arc Procedure in SoCal

Sergio Gutierrez

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
sergio8234
Hi everybody, does anybody know of any airports that contain a DME Arc in their IAP? I've searched everywhere online and even called FSS to see if they had a clue. The only airport I found was KVCV however as of 7/24/2020, their DME is out of service as well as their ILS. Any suggestions?

Hi everybody, does anybody know of any airports that contain a DME Arc in their IAP? I've searched everywhere online and even called FSS to see if they had a clue. The only airport I found was KVCV however as of 7/24/2020, their DME is out of service as well as their ILS. Any suggestions?

VOR RWY 30 at TRM. Not much of an Arc, but it’s there

How far do you want to fly? ILS or LOC/DME Rwy 21R at Yuma KNYL has a good one.

Depending on your definition of SoCal, Paso Robles has two. KPRB VOR-B and VOR Rwy 19. I flew the Rwy 19 for my IFR checkride.

VOR RWY 30 at TRM. Not much of an Arc, but it’s there
This actually will work finem granted like you said it is small, at least it will give me practice to experience it, I fly out of Long Beach so it not to far. Thank you!

How far do you want to fly? ILS or LOC/DME Rwy 21R at Yuma KNYL has a good one.
Thank you for the suggestion, it is a bit far as I mentioned I do fly out of Long Beach, but this one a really good DME Arc. Does the Marine Air Station allow civilian aircraft to fly the procedure?

Depending on your definition of SoCal, Paso Robles has two. KPRB VOR-B and VOR Rwy 19. I flew the Rwy 19 for my IFR checkride.
Wow I did not look that far up north. Paso Robles also seems like a good section option to do it on. Will keep that one saved just in case. Thank you!

Me and my CFII make them up... Last time we overlapped the VOR/DME into Runway 15 at KMTN using the FIM VOR

Either the ILS or LOC Rwy 17 or VOR/DME at Victorville (VCV) use a DME arc, the closest one to my home base, WHP, in SoCal.
Bonus: you get to see the 737 Max 8's as well as hundreds of others grounded there due to Covid-19.

Either the ILS or LOC Rwy 17 or VOR/DME at Victorville (VCV) use a DME arc, the closest one to my home base, WHP, in SoCal.
Bonus: you get to see the 737 Max 8's as well as hundreds of others grounded there due to Covid-19.
Defintley! That is the one I was originally looking at, the unfortunate part is the DME is out of service there and well as the ILS or LOC Rwy 17 as of right now.

Me and my CFII make them up... Last time we overlapped the VOR/DME into Runway 15 at KMTN using the FIM VOR
My Instructor did mention about making our own up, but he said he would prefer to fly a published approach with an actual DME Arc rather than making one up.

My Instructor did mention about making our own up, but he said he would prefer to fly a published approach with an actual DME Arc rather than making one up.

I’m not sure why it would matter. The procedure is the same until you get to the IAF and most (all?) DME arcs are at the same altitude until the IAF. If you pick a VOR approach, you can do the arc and then fly the rest as a normal VOR. I’ve done it a bunch of times using the MQO and GLI VORs. In fact, the examiner here often has IFR candidates do a simulated DME arc using GLI.

My instructor even had me do a simulated ADF approach using the local radio station.

Back