ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

I restored and flipped Triumph TR3s, TR4s, 250s and TR6s back in the 70s and 80s. I'd typically put one of two bumper stickers on a finished car,

Lucas: The prince or darkness

or

Englishmen drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators

The second was my favorite.

Years later I read that they got the contract with Boeing to supply all electrical components for their airline fleet. Scary.

A friend had a bumper sticker on the back of his TR6 - “Lucas: Father of the intermittent wiper.”

I restored and flipped Triumph TR3s, TR4s, 250s and TR6s back in the 70s and 80s. I'd typically put one of two bumper stickers on a finished car,

Lucas: The prince or darkness

or

Englishmen drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators

The second was my favorite.

Years later I read that they got the contract with Boeing to supply all electrical components for their airline fleet. Scary.

A friend had a bumper sticker on the back of his TR6 - “Lucas: Father of the intermittent wiper.”

As I have noted in other posts, there was a shop in 1983 in Santa Clara, CA that specialized in restorations of old MGs. They had a bumper sticker that I should have bought for my MG - "I'll have you know that the parts falling off this car are of the highest British quality!"

Limey cars; loved them as a kid in high school, but i developed a keen awareness of the shortfalls of Lucas electrical components, and then played the no-win game with dual SU side-draft carburetors. Finally came to see that Mazda's Miata captured and perfected what Triumph and MG had set-out to do.

As a new hire flying the Shorts in '88 I strapped in for my first flight and saw that the electrics were Lucas. I was not brimming with confidence about the ship after this.

Back