Craigslist Scams

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
I've been browsing ad's for older Airstream trailers. I'm in no hurry to find one and (obviously) it would be easier if I could find one locally. Which ultimately lead me to Craigslist.

So, here's what I don't understand. There are a number of bogus ad's out there. Too nice of a vintage trailer for the money. Campers listed for maybe 10% -20% of market value. Obvious scam, right? But what's the angle? I don't see how a bogus ad leads to profit. BTW, I've called and e-mailed on a couple of these and never heard back.

Someone please explain how this scam works?

When I used to naively reply to similar ads the seller was invariably selling it for a friend or relative that was out of the country, usually on a military deployment. The item was usually in immaculate condition, priced way below market value, and located far outside of the Craigslist region I was searching. I never made it past that point but my assumption was that I would soon be asked for a deposit to hold the item and would never receive the item or see my deposit again.

When I used to naively reply to similar ads the seller was invariably selling it for a friend or relative that was out of the country, usually on a military deployment. The item was usually in immaculate condition, priced way below market value, and located far outside of the Craigslist region I was searching. I never made it past that point but my assumption was that I would soon be asked for a deposit to hold the item and would never receive the item or see my deposit again.

I haven't received a response with a story like that. In addition to being dishonest, these scammers are lazy.

There's tons of livestock trailers around me on craigslist that are obvious scams.

For reason, they can't give you an address.
or, they can't give you an address.

Most ultimately want some form of deposit or other BS story. Best hope is they find an out of area buyer that will pay full amount sight unseen to hold or ship in hopes of a killer deal then poof, they are gone. Yes, there are people that stupid.

I have bought and quite a bit on CL but know every scam in the book. Only deal I ever do is in person in cash first one here wins, rest I tell to take a hike.

But not to worry, the deposit is held by an escrow company. So it's 100% safe. You just have to pay the $99 fee of the escrow company with a western union gift card. But you are saving so much on the trailer, so it's worth the minor expense. Just make sure to send the escrow company your bank routing information, because it's 100% safe, with an escrow company. And you save money.
His 'agent' and 'the shipper' will contact you fortwith once the item is ready to ship. Yu will receive a FedEx number. He is currently deployed to a top secret location and so he can't give you an address to inspect the trailer. But you are saving money.

My rule for Craigslist is that I always start with two back and forth exchanges using the masked email function in Craigslist. Ask a question, answer a question, discuss times to come see the item, whatever. The suspicious ones all seem to disappear if they don't get a real address, email address or phone number up front.

Last edited:
Why would anyone even use Craigslist if there are so many scammers on there?

Just bought a canoe and kayak last week using Craigslist. Good deals to be found. As GaryM said above, use their email function for initial contact.

They are pretty easy to spot, you just ignore them. I sometimes think CL has a bot that creates scam replies just for the ambience. Sort of like the yelling fishmongers, you don't actually buy their fish but they are an expected part of the market.

A common scam is to get you to except a bogus cashiers check for far more than the value of the item and wire the difference back to them. The wire is instantaneous cash transfer, and by the time the check bounces they are long gone.
I forgot the reason they come up that they have to do it this way. I call the bank, they verified the check was bogus. I strung them along as they wanted me to wire the funds for a while. This was back in 2005 timeframe.

Craiglist = cash and you shouldn't have any issues. Of course if you're bringing 1000's to the transaction, probably smart to bring your carry piece too.

I had a co-worker who contacted someone in a nearby city that was offering a very nice inexpensive car. He contacted them via e-mail, and they gave him the whole "I'll ship it to you" thing. He said, "I'll just come and get it, you are only and hour away" but they insisted they had to ship it, and the whole escrow thing as mentioned above. Wisely, he stopped communicating with them.

BTW, there's a very inexpensive Airstream on CL in Cincinnati. It's a big-un, and looks kinda beat, but it doesn't look like a scam. I know it's a long way from you, but I just took a quick look, as the Airstream factory is just "up the road" from where I live.

One of my favorite CraigsList features is the 'Free' section. If I need to get rid of something, and it is too junky to donate, I list it as free, and someone will pick it up in short order. I do this a lot, since my town charges a $10 bulk waste fee to take anything that won't fit in a small trash can, and considering what I pay in property tax (I'm in NJ, highest property taxes in the nation), I'm kind of a crank about handing over any extra money.

I'm consistently amazed at what people are willing to take if it's free--and there is no haggling over price or item condition. I don't even have to admit to being home--just tell them when they can pick up the item at the curb, and it's gone.

I'm consistently amazed at what people are willing to take if it's free--and there is no haggling over price or item condition. I don't even have to admit to being home--just tell them when they can pick up the item at the curb, and it's gone.

Around here when it is time to get rid of something just put it on the curb. Usually within hours someone will take it.

One time I threw out a treadmill that was no longer functional. An hour later I noticed it was gone.

At least your city will pick up large items, even for a price. Here they pick up large items one day a year. But no charge.

Around here when it is time to get rid of something just put it on the curb. Usually within hours someone will take it.

I think it mostly works that way around here as well; we just happen to live on a cul-de-sac, and a fairly well hidden one at that. No traffic driving by, so I have to advertise when I want to give something away.

I have sold some end of life cars on CL. I mention everything that is wrong in the ad (needs timing belt, radiator leak etc.) and a firm price that reflects the condition. The ad says 'cash as in US currency, not a check from your uncle, money orders or some hinky escrow company deal.'. Buyers are usually young car mechanics who can fix those things using their own labor and expect to be able to make a profit on the deal.

One time I threw out a treadmill that was no longer functional. An hour later I noticed it was gone.

At least your city will pick up large items, even for a price. Here they pick up large items one day a year. But no charge.

I’ve had useless stuff disappear out of a rented dumpster. My only guess is that the crackheads my grandmother takes in called their buddies to come get it when they saw me throwing it away.

Our county allows two free bulky pickups a year. The kick is it may take a week for them to show up.

Got a big, quality entertainment cabinet I've had listed as free for years. The only bites I get want me to deliver it.

Ron Wanttaja

Craiglist = cash and you shouldn't have any issues. Of course if you're bringing 1000's to the transaction, probably smart to bring your carry piece too.

Yes--there have been confirmed cases where a prospective buyer was told to bring cash to an agreed-to meeting place (a parking lot or some other out-of-the-way location) where he was robbed by the "seller".

Tim

Got a big, quality entertainment cabinet I've had listed as free for years. The only bites I get want me to deliver it.

Ron Wanttaja

Put it out front with a sign that says $250, and someone will steal it.

All of my quickest sales on vehicles, boats, and trailers have been via CL. You just gotta know what you are doing and wade though all the scammers which is usually at least 30-40% of the contacts. If you know how to shut them down they go away pretty quick. Some I just keep messing with for fun.

The "Free" section is a great way to offload stuff that is not worth selling but still has some value and you don't wanna take to the dump.

The scammers are everywhere, CL is no exception.

Fun CL story... Every couple years I do a bulk CL listing. Usually 10-20 items of stuff that I don't need that are worth something. I put blowout prices (bought item for $100 and sell for $10) and people still haggle.

Last summer I was in the middle of dealing with 500 emails per day about outdoor folding tables and chairs. "Is this still available?" all day. Then I get an email about the aviation literature I'm giving away for free. The email stated that if I'm able to give stuff away for free, delivery should also be free. I kindly replied back with some unkind words.

The next day I get an email from a guy saying he's on his way to grab the free stuff. He sends me his number and I call him to discuss the pickup. He says he is the dad of the kid that I harassed via email the day before. It turns out the person asking for free delivery of free stuff was 9 years old. So I apologized and didn't bother telling him that a 9 year old shouldn't be on CL, and offered to ship the items to him, for free.

You never know who you're dealing with on that site. I will say the model airplane crowd is awesome!

Put it out front with a sign that says $250, and someone will steal it.
Heck, I'd pay money to watch them try. The thing is made out of hardwood, six feet tall, three feet wide, two feet deep, with two corner units with glass shelves. Probably weighs 300 pounds. Took three trips to haul it all to the hangar with my mini-pickup. I swore I'd never move it again, other than taking it to the dump.
cabinet1.jpg

It's a great unit, but it was designed for big CRT TVs...can't fit a big modern TV in it.

I actually don't fault (too much) the people asking if I'd deliver it to them. Most folks don't have access to pickup trucks. Right now, it's on top to becoming the world's fanciest hangar toolbox.

Ron Wanttaja

That looks nice. I'll take it off your hands. Deliver? :D

Can I send a cashiers check for $2000, and you wire me back the difference?
I'll deliver the difference in cash along with the item once the check clears.

Most ultimately want some form of deposit or other BS story. Best hope is they find an out of area buyer that will pay full amount sight unseen to hold or ship in hopes of a killer deal then poof, they are gone. Yes, there are people that stupid.

Yep ... a couple of years ago I found a vehicle of the sort I was searching for. Looked great and the price was right. I contacted "Jessica" and learned that she was in the military and being deployed soon and had to sell the vehicle quickly. Not a problem until I wanted to come and see it. It was supposedly three states away in a crate and ready to ship. All I needed to do was send a deposit and they would ship it to me. If I liked it I could pay the rest and if not I could get a refund through an eBay escrow account deal.

What my dad taught me has proven to be true many times as he said, "If it seems to good to be true ... it is!"

Back