Headset vs. iPad for new student

allPrimes

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
allPrimes
I'm a new student with 7.4 hours in a C172. Given I have an iPhone and a subscription to Foreflight, is the consensus that a quality headset would be more useful to me in the short-term than an iPad with ForeFlight?

Personally, I specifically avoided using gps during my training. I wanted to learn to get along without it. After I passed my check ride of course, I made full use of the tools.

Good ANR headset first. iPad later.

You will replace the ipad more frequently than a good headset

The headset is not so much useful in the short term as it is in the long term. By that I mean the damage to your ears from 40 hours of flying without a headset can be significant, but you likely won't know it for many years.

You don't need to buy a brand new top-of-the-line headset. You can get one which will meet your needs for not that much money, maybe less than a single flight lesson.

Jon

Headset, you already have a EFB solution.

Go with a good headset,your hearing will thank you.

If you were my student, it would be headset. They don’t use Foreflight until the back end of training.

Hmmm... nice shiny iPad and a bacteria infested flight school headset, or a nice, personal headset and use of your tried-and-true iPhone? :p

For me personally, I bought my own headset (cheaper pair) to avoid the germs from a communal headset. I actually got really sick once, and I think it was from a communal headset where the mic required being placed up against my lips in order to pick up anything. That got me buying my own quickly after that.

Check out what @pigpenracing has to offer. Better to get a good quality headset and spend the money once at the beginning than to spend money on a pair that you'll end up replacing later (and your older set becomes a paperweight or passenger set that rarely gets used.)

I'll hook you up with a like new Lightspeed Sierra for $525 shipped :)
Yes a headset is more useful for a student...
Do this, once, instead of trying to "save" money, buying inexpensive headsets, multiple times...

Back