Sure is. Mini 4 with the Ram mount I linked earlier :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20200720_224412.jpg
    IMG_20200720_224412.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200720_224502.jpg
    IMG_20200720_224502.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 20
A couple of questions.... VFR or IFR flying? How is the 172 equipped?

Most of my flying has been in a 172. Originally I was using a 9.7" ipad pro on a yoke mount. I used this for years including for my instrument training. After my plane was upgraded with a GTN 650, I changed to a ipad mini using a suction mount on left side of the windshield.

The X-Naut does a great job at keeping the iPad mini cool.

Yep. Same here, iPad mini 5 in X-Naut cradle mounted to the control bar of my Bonanza with RAM mount. Never had it overheated since I went with this setup 3 years ago, and I had a black iPad mini 4 before this year.

e51f9e2b65e98b510c4c1ada8db71060.jpg

Having said that, looking forward to my future panel upgrade to Dynon HDX, so I could have a clean panel and no iPads obstructing the view.

iPad mini 5 in X-Naut cradle mounted to the control bar of my Bonanza with RAM mount.

Could you show us a picture or explain how you mounted the Ram mount to the yoke bar? Much appreciated.

I use a cell/gps equipped iPad mini-5, with a Ram x-grip and suction cup. Works good. I don’t even have to remove the iPad from the case. I think a bigger iPad would probably be too big in a 172. I haven’t had overheating problems, but I’m also using outboard gps from a stratux, so that probably helps. I’m using FlyQ, which also has an iPhone app, so the phone can serve as backup in a bind. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Get whichever iPad meets your size and budget, but absolutely get the Cellular one, even if you don't pay for the plan (which I would argue you should also get, makes the iPad 10x as functional, but you can decide that later.) It's absolutely critical for the iPad to know where it is without relying on an external GPS source and cabling. If you can't afford the extra $150 for a vastly superior navigation device you might want to seriously consider if aviation is right for you. Buy a used Mini with Cellular for a few hundred bucks if your budget is tight.

I don’t have cellular on either of my iPads, and don’t miss it. If I need GPS, my phone has it, and I can connect the iPad to the iPhone if I need to, or just use the iPhone as a backup.

If you can't afford the extra $150 for a vastly superior navigation device you might want to seriously consider if aviation is right for you. Buy a used Mini with Cellular for a few hundred bucks if your budget is tight.

That’s just stupid. I’m on my fifth iPad now and none of them have had cellular. That’s $750 that I saved and spent on fuel. Every plane that I fly either has a panel mounted ADSB-In device or Stratus or Stratux. My home airport can get weather and TFRs on the ground from an ADSB ground station, but if I am somewhere else, my phone can get the weather just fine. Why should I spend $150 on something that I literally will never use.

ForeFlight will probably run just fine for quite a while on older devices, but it’s never made sense to me to buy used computers and iPads. Moore’s law is still working and buying something that is a couple of years old doesn’t make any sense for most of us.

I bought my Mini 4 refurbished specifically because I didn't want to spend the money on a new one to get cell/gps since my Air 2 had neither and was essentially useless for what I wanted. Different strokes.

Get whichever iPad meets your size and budget, but absolutely get the Cellular one, even if you don't pay for the plan (which I would argue you should also get, makes the iPad 10x as functional, but you can decide that later.) It's absolutely critical for the iPad to know where it is without relying on an external GPS source and cabling. If you can't afford the extra $150 for a vastly superior navigation device you might want to seriously consider if aviation is right for you. Buy a used Mini with Cellular for a few hundred bucks if your budget is tight.
Way overstated and unnecessarily snarky, but I do agree that an iPad with GPS/cellular is likely to be more useful than the straight wi-fi version. It's only $150 and I think that it's wiser to have that capability. I find it useful and well worth the $150.

In addition to the gps (which doesn’t matter much due to stratux) I use the cellular for convenience checking weather, filing flight plans, ground navigation, etc. But yes, for most of that I could just make my iPhone into a hotspot and get data service to the iPad that way. To each his needs.

Anyone use an Air 3? Seems like it would be a good compromise between the PRO and Mini.

I went with the Logitec keyboard for both my iPad Pro 13 and iPad Pro 11...both around $120, and very functional. I don't really see the point to the Apple Magic keyboard. A touch panel on a device with a touch screen seems a little redundant, especially at that price.

I also went with the Apple pencil. Reasoning is, using the scratch pads in ForeFlight, I can now go totally paperless. No need for a kneeboard anymore for writing down clearances, frequencies, etc. I'll try using the ipad as a kneeboard to see how it goes.

Thanks for all of the feedback I'm going to start narrowing down my options starting this weekend. Money isn't the issue here but always good to get feedback on what others have experienced.

Chris

I also went with the Apple pencil. Reasoning is, using the scratch pads in ForeFlight, I can now go totally paperless. No need for a kneeboard anymore for writing down clearances, frequencies, etc. I'll try using the ipad as a kneeboard to see how it goes.

Is the Apple pencil the only stylus that works on an iPad?

Is the Apple pencil the only stylus that works on an iPad?

Probably not, but the fact that it attaches and charges via magnetically clipping to the side of the ipad was attractive. Like I said, kind of a splurge buy. My old iPad Air was 7 years old, and will live on as my wife's even older iPad recently died. So, she gets the iPad Air gen 1, which still functions fine, and I upgraded to take advantage of the coming features in ForeFlight. There are other areas where I'll put the power of the iPad Pro to good use, so I'm good with it.

I've been doing fine simply writing with a fingertip in a Foreflight scratch pad window. Yes, it's even messier than my normal handwriting, and admittedly I don't have to write down IFR clearances, but for my VFR flying it has been working out pretty well.

Probably not, but the fact that it attaches and charges via magnetically clipping to the side of the ipad was attractive. Like I said, kind of a splurge buy. My old iPad Air was 7 years old, and will live on as my wife's even older iPad recently died. So, she gets the iPad Air gen 1, which still functions fine, and I upgraded to take advantage of the coming features in ForeFlight. There are other areas where I'll put the power of the iPad Pro to good use, so I'm good with it.

I just upgraded my wife's iPad I think she had a Gen 3 it runs like a dog and I got her the Folio keyboard will she if she will need the magic keyboard later. Thanks for the info!

• Mini
  • 64MB will do okay if you don’t load it up with space hungry apps, movies, or your entire life’s music library
  • Cell data service, you don’t have to get any SIM card or activate cell data, but you get the GPS chip set
  • RAM mounts provide lots of options.
You convinced me. I've been using my iPhone 8 Plus, which does pretty good but I can't split the screen and I wanted something a little larger. My iPad 2 doesn't work for Garmin Pilot anymore. My girlfriend is learning how to fly and mentioned an iPad the other day. All of this combined, plus the comments here, made me decide to buy exactly the iPad Mini you recommended. I'll have it next week!

You convinced me. I've been using my iPhone 8 Plus, which does pretty good but I can't split the screen and I wanted something a little larger. My iPad 2 doesn't work for Garmin Pilot anymore. My girlfriend is learning how to fly and mentioned an iPad the other day. All of this combined, plus the comments here, made me decide to buy exactly the iPad Mini you recommended. I'll have it next week!
So.... can we talk about a photo shoot of the club 182 as commission?

(all seriousness, ping me next time you’re working in North Texas. Might take advantage of you being here)

Glad someone else got something out of this thread besides me!

My iPad Air 2 has been my flying companion for years. No issues. If the rumored iPad Air 2020 is actually released this fall, I will do a trade-in to get that model.

A couple of questions.... VFR or IFR flying? How is the 172 equipped?

Most of my flying has been in a 172. Originally I was using a 9.7" ipad pro on a yoke mount. I used this for years including for my instrument training. After my plane was upgraded with a GTN 650, I changed to a ipad mini using a suction mount on left side of the windshield.

Pictures of both set-ups shown. Only issue I ever had with overheating was when flying a piper arrow when I left the Ipad on the yoke while on the ramp.

2019-08-30 16.36.20.jpg 2018-12-12 11.41.49.jpg

I’m in the same situation. My iPad Air has been working just fine, although slower than what’s out there now, so I just ordered the 11” Pro to keep up with ForeFlight.

Ipad Mini works great. Nothing can beat the size of a 12.9. I have both, with RAM mounts, on defender covers, with a Garmin GDL39.

I keep a couple microfiber rags in the cockpit and I try to throw one on top of the iPad if it’s in direct sunlight during cruise flight.

Back