Magnetometer installed on battery tray?

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I have had my GMU11 Magnetometer installed on my battery tray next to my ELT for years and it has performed okay.. It was on the edge of being out of spec on the interference test... After I had my autopilot installed I wanted to bring that tolerance down.

Here is what doesn't make sense. If I move the GMU11 to right behind the battery box the max interference is only about 40% or so. I would expected that to be the last place I would want it installed.. I guess if it passes the tests then it's a good location?

If not then out to the wing it goes..

We are talking about DC vs AC electricity, but it doesn't pass my "sniff test".

magnetometer and proximity to electrical devices, particularly the battery, just don't go hand-in-hand.

We are talking about DC vs AC electricity, but it doesn't pass my "sniff test".

magnetometer and proximity to electrical devices, particularly the battery, just don't go hand-in-hand.
it's really odd.. if I move it away from everything else then the interference goes off the charts..

Batteries have what magnetometers crave.
My only other option is to move it aft on the tray but then my LED beacon interferes.. Maybe the wing is what I need to do.. I have an access panel about 2 feet from the fuselage.

Does anyone have a picture of the mount they fabricated or purchased for mounting in the wing of a Cherokee?

I would think wires and antennas would cause more magnetic field disturbance than a battery. But wherever it works is fine. Mine's in the right wingtip and no issues out there. The strobes and nav light are shielded enough or far enough away to not be a factor.

Have a look at the G3X installation manual, that has a section on where to locate the GMU11 magnetometer.

A lead-acid battery *should* be non-magnetic in itself: a Nicd probably would affect magnetic flux (due to the nickel). Any current going into or out of a battery (of any kind) will produce a magnetic field.

Back