So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Gleim will help you to drill and kill but to actually understand the PHAK/AFH are good resources as are a number of online courses out there. I used Gold Seal and was very happy with the content. I highly recommend checking them out.

I just used the PHAK and the ASA study guide. Passed with 83%, FWIW. The ASA on-line practice tests were pretty good - lots of 'trick wording' of the questions to throw the unsuspecting off!

No flying since March 9th. Not quite to solo.
Wife had heart surgery June 3rd now into advancing dementia at an alarming rate.
Not sure when we can continue flight training .
My 172 had annual completed June one . The A&E IA kindly picked it up flew it to his shop and returned it.
It's lonely waiting for me in hanger 40 miles away.
Not very encouraged at this point .
Had wanted all this done by October and my 80 th Birthday.
Re heart surgery, sorry to hear, but hang in there cause that’s plumbing and fixable. Sometimes dementia is temporary from surgery trauma.

I'm studying for my PPL written, is buying a study guide like the Gleim Pilot Test Prep effective, or is the PHAK and AFH good enough?

Really depends on how you study and such. The information is all there but some commercial products organize it more efficiently.

Working with an instructor who can ask questions and find your knowledge gaps is highly recommended, also. The old “you don’t know what you don’t know” problem.

At last - solo! Only 37 hours to get there! :( (After that much time at the yoke, it seemed almost anticlimactic.) Written passed last week, so now on to some cross-countries. Got to be more interesting than grinding around and around the pattern.

Y'all - I finally landed the Archer all by myself today! :) The last two landings - almost greasers, both of them! I think the first part of the "click" finally happened. I was really struggling with roundout timing, but it worked out today! Instead of rounding out 15 seconds early, it was less than a second for the vast majority of landings I did. I'll probably have to work back to it again next week, but I am so stinking thrilled that it is all starting to come together!

Y'all - I finally landed the Archer all by myself today! :) The last two landings - almost greasers, both of them! I think the first part of the "click" finally happened. I was really struggling with roundout timing, but it worked out today! Instead of rounding out 15 seconds early, it was less than a second for the vast majority of landings I did. I'll probably have to work back to it again next week, but I am so stinking thrilled that it is all starting to come together!

Congratulations!

crawdaddy........profile says ur in N Ga.........are u aware of any golf courses that are very close to any airports near u, in the mountains? a few of us are always looking for fly-in golfing destinations............thanks!

crawdaddy........profile says ur in N Ga.........are u aware of any golf courses that are very close to any airports near u, in the mountains? a few of us are always looking for fly-in golfing destinations............thanks!

Why, yes i do! KDZJ and there is a course less than 5 minutes down the road! Butternut Creek GC.

Got some more landing practice in today. My instructor made me land on the grass runway because of how well I was doing. Ever since I started using one cushion on the seat and one behind me, it's been going swimmingly. Landing is so much easier when you can see the runway... When your instructor starts talking about taking a nap, that's a good sign, right? :)

We went over my presolo test today, and I got to sign a paper saying if I messed up the airplane by my own fault, I'd better be prepared to pay up. I think I might finally get to solo soon!

Got some more landing practice in today. My instructor made me land on the grass runway because of how well I was doing. Ever since I started using one cushion on the seat and one behind me, it's been going swimmingly. Landing is so much easier when you can see the runway... When your instructor starts talking about taking a nap, that's a good sign, right? :)

We went over my presolo test today, and I got to sign a paper saying if I messed up the airplane by my own fault, I'd better be prepared to pay up. I think I might finally get to solo soon!

You'll never forget your first solo. You got this.

Outstanding! Go, girl!

BTW, you might consider renter’s insurance, just in case. Not trying to spook you; just suggesting prudence.

For someone like me, who knows very little about insurance, and less than that about renter's insurance, where should I look for more info/cost? I definitely can't afford to fix the plane, so I am planning on not doing anything that would be considered pilot negliance, but having some level of protection would be nice!

For someone like me, who knows very little about insurance, and less than that about renter's insurance, where should I look for more info/cost? I definitely can't afford to fix the plane, so I am planning on not doing anything that would be considered pilot negliance, but having some level of protection would be nice!

Call AOPA or Avemco. $40k or $50k should be a few hundred dollars a year.

https://www.ap-aerospace.com/aircra...MIqN681ZOe6wIVheiGCh0oug9eEAAYASADEgKj2PD_BwE

7+ hours dual with nearly 50 landings, just passed my Sport Pilot ground school today, taking the Sport written Tuesday. I start Tailwheel training later this month

Check out page 11 in the Sep issue of Flying magazine. Renter’s insurance by the month.

Had my checkride scheduled for today. Was to fly from KLVK (Livermore) to O22 (Columbia). DPE has asked me to plan the XC from O22 to KHAF (Half Moon Bay). Had everything done then late yesterday 3 TFRs popped up due to brush fires and allowing for tanker traffic. Tons of smoke, winds 16kts, gusting to 22 with a healthy XW component and I chose to postpone it. Glad I did. Visibility kept deteriorating to it now being IFR at KLVK due to the haze and smoke from the brush fires. Am I bummed? A little. More so I was pumped up for the day and now have to settle back down. But at least it gives me more time to go over my notes.

Had my checkride scheduled for today. Was to fly from KLVK (Livermore) to O22 (Columbia). DPE has asked me to plan the XC from O22 to KHAF (Half Moon Bay). Had everything done then late yesterday 3 TFRs popped up due to brush fires and allowing for tanker traffic. Tons of smoke, winds 16kts, gusting to 22 with a healthy XW component and I chose to postpone it. Glad I did. Visibility kept deteriorating to it now being IFR at KLVK due to the haze and smoke from the brush fires. Am I bummed? A little. More so I was pumped up for the day and now have to settle back down. But at least it gives me more time to go over my notes.

You made a solid decision. Today was no day to fly unless you were trying to put out fires. You’ll get there. I love lvk. Beebs restaurant is a constant dinner stop for me and the wife. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You made a solid decision. Today was no day to fly unless you were trying to put out fires. You’ll get there. I love lvk. Beebs restaurant is a constant dinner stop for me and the wife. Good luck!

Yes, Beebs is fantastic. Got it rescheduled for Sep 13th so all is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have scheduled and rescheduled my long xc but weather has had other ideas. I have had to cancel at least 5 times. At least im getting really good at planning for it! it seems it is always raining at one or both of my planned airports or raining at home. Hopefully i can get it done in the next week or so.

Due to work restraints, weather issues and a few other Murphy's Law eventualities, I hadn't flown since late July. Today, I was back at it. Loving every second of my primary training, and man did I miss that feeling over the last month or so. Good to be back!

Did the ‘long’ cross-country today: 260+ nm, with a 63 mile leg, 5 landings (all at little uncontrolled country airports) a couple stops, and one at a quiet field where the r/c jet guys were flying. Was a neat way to drop in on them, several of which I know from my r/c club. Just wish I’d thought to bring some lunch Nice weather, no Bravo airspace, and very flat terrain in Michigan, make it easier. Just don’t expect high ceilings.

Soloed last week, and did my first dual cross country. I got another hour of solo time in today, too! I am hoping to fly my long dual cross country tomorrow, but the winds are not looking too favorable.

I realized today that I am about 10 hours away from fulfilling all the requirements. It's really weird to think of that!

Completed my solo long cross country today! Perfectly clear skies and light breeze. I was anxious before getting to the airport but when i got started doing the preflight i relaxed a bit. Once the engine fired up i was good to go and ready to get it going. My first stop into a charlie- got cleared to land as soon as i announced airport in sight. I was the only one inbound except for a helo i passed heading out to my next stop. next airport was a busy spot. I guess with it being a holiday they all wanted to buzz around. Followed one in the pattern and he cleared the runway as i turned final but then a guy decided he could get lined up and gone before i got there and i ended up announcing a go around which he apologized for. I was fine and just went around and did it again. Had a nice greaser! Left there and headed home. Had another greaser with my instructor watching- which always makes me feel great! Ended up logging 2.1 hrs and total distance of 158 miles.

Now i only need to go on a quick cross country on wednesday to complete the 5hr requirement.
All in all it was a great day and i cant wait to do it again!

Attachments

• 4B944294-F20D-42DA-B82F-781176168CCE.jpeg
    4B944294-F20D-42DA-B82F-781176168CCE.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 3262C0E8-039E-4B60-B17A-B52B2FC3EEE4.jpeg
    3262C0E8-039E-4B60-B17A-B52B2FC3EEE4.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1335A5CB-2ADF-4EE3-BB13-0CCD79C3560B.jpeg
    1335A5CB-2ADF-4EE3-BB13-0CCD79C3560B.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 14
Wrapped up my solo cross country requirement. Got some foggle time today. I just need 1 hr to complete that requirement.

scheduled my written exam for Thursday morning... i guess i will do some studying between now and then lol. Im averaging 90’s on my practice tests and i feel ready just anxious. Fingers crossed!

Wrapped up my solo cross country requirement. Got some foggle time today. I just need 1 hr to complete that requirement.

scheduled my written exam for Thursday morning... i guess i will do some studying between now and then lol. Im averaging 90’s on my practice tests and i feel ready just anxious. Fingers crossed!

Git er done!

Back