Bose X replacement cord?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
My Bose X is now 14 years old. It has been great. But the cord is getting a bit "worn". First it was splitting near the strain relief, which I replaced with some heat-shrink tubing a couple of year ago. Now it's starting to split a few inches lower down in two places (one shown in the pic). Temporarily, I have wrapped it up with electrical tape. I am handy with a soldering iron and could possibly cut off this section and re-solder, but within the mic attachment piece there are a couple of small connectors with multiple pins and it seems like it would be a PITA.

Plus I'm sure other parts of the cord would soon start splitting too as it's all the same age.

If I could buy just the cord itself that goes between the headset and the battery box/control unit, with those internal connectors on it already, I think this would be about a 5-minute fix.

I do see that I can buy the whole cord assembly, with plugs and battery box and all, for about $195, but that's definitely more than I want to spend at this point on this headset.

This headset gets almost daily use, so I'd really prefer a way to fix it myself rather than send it off.

Any ideas?

KhBV4dzmN0D1T04PVjTxEnhrL9Yzv9IULYWiKuAEKEPev6izj07QMaom8UxV-72BgJlHOQu-TY54O9pGaPlXPB92puMjBn5Enp52Aj0M2dBtfCCTGo43hFm6blHixuZX-Dm5J8yPCdv-gTNSI6BRBJc5kvw2wDuOuPbrJQQ3w7j7gzGakfkGrZ21rNUidZugPdRnWJEFEaG3Xf9tc6DPbVqQRKDY_x4A7jxibDlNofZVjT2tjVKAD7FETs37dzeyUBHrYB6JBVXgAUeosLyBNLvF8d8WBVuLSv4QLS2eHT5oWXoowxcczdB0B2L3s7P4WVKgUiy-PhtNIKpeUTLJI4pu2af_OkU352hF7IxrPJpmy3x1fvFODHgR9aGNODV2wmTzNmxVj_XUSWRC7I35LopRHe9aQxudo0JugL4wmb057AZ2jHcTZz3mx6dYtPjXl-uxo1LYfXuWZTZqWDV9rOXLWMAzBhRnHEeLNWE3GpFzrAP_L3fEsNqIW6hjkMYa2HyAiIENaU6y6Ve66xTeCXo-SZanF1jB91LOBWdwrVvt7bXjWvfdfUr1MCTRUDI-Zkvr7GI_TfK6ea1bDheeVh4C2BlfGigO8JeSEKNEwNICP8a5z-sRURChGhbDNb8m5DD2N-d7A56Nov4MIuOkeeqs01UtPeVKC90hSb9Hzjj0LibP4eZOlrYPwoxHmA=w703-h937-no

Honestly... Sell it on ebay and buy a new headset. The Bose X is old and they are all getting very fragile and breaking.
I always get emails with people looking for parts because the plastic it brittle and cracking. The stirrups on the earcups will be broken soon.
I think the cord you see for $195 is for the Bose A20. As far as I know parts for your headset are no longer available.

Yeah I need a microphone for a bose X. Pretty much impossible to find.

I have a pair of Bose-X headphones. They work well, but as @pigpenracing stated, the plastics degrade and fall apart. I replaced the stirrups with ones from eBay that are reinforced with carbon fiber and they work great now. Except the rubber around the wiring that run along the stirrups are now all falling apart. I can heat shrink them in place for now, but it's a matter of time before I have to start looking for a new headset.

anyone found a good place to get Bose (A20) earcups, or is OEM the only way to go?

Call Bose. They replaced some parts for me long after warrantee was over. Yours is truly old, but maybe they'll give you credit toward a new set, can't hurt to ask.

Back