SLSA to ELSA Conversion EAA Webinar

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Just over a week ago, EAA hosted a webinar titled “Fast Track to Experimental”. Normally, you have to be an EAA member to view, but this one was presented by my friend, Professor Paul Shuch, who owns a flight school in Lock Haven, PA, specializing in Light Sport. He is allowed to post his own webinars on his website, and here is the link to this one if you’re interested...

https://avsport.org/webinars/videos/elsa.mp4

It goes into the regulations and paperwork involved in converting an SLSA to ELSA, and covers the potential benefits and drawbacks and legalities in doing so.

It was of special interest to me, since the professor had asked to use the 2009 conversion of my Sky Arrow to ELSA as a “case study”, which I readily agreed to.

Anyway, if you own an SLSA or hope to one day, and have considered converting it to Experimental, this webinar might be of interest.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Honest, we need more SLSA's that can be used for instruction... and hopefully someday aerial photography

I was online too as was a few pilot buddies of mine. Great presentation and Q&A afterwards.

I already converted to E-LSA (thankfully no "gotchas"), but this was still excellent information. The freedom of going Experimental is very refreshing!

Last edited:
I watched live also.
No regrets for going E-LSA here.
We will never know if it was a mistake . . until the day we sell.

I watched live also.
No regrets for going E-LSA here.
We will never know if it was a mistake . . until the day we sell.
Bill, when I decided to convert my S-LSA to E-LSA I didn't consider resale value at all; the advantages of doing my own maintenance, modifications (ADS-B) and condition inspections trumped everything else. Surprisingly my insurance premium was virtually unchanged.

Back