So you paid all that money to earn your license...

so much for telling the flight attendant you are a pilot and can land the plane.

Yeah that pushes all us private pilots down another rung on the ladder. I might as well not even bother showing my credentials, reading AOPA Pilot or overtly using Foreflight from economy class. Probably still should let passengers around me know that I am a pilot, though. I mean, that's required per one of the FARs, right?

Well all the flight attendants could die too.

So I should continue to let the pilots know that I can land the 738 in x-plane most of the time with no problem? I mean, just in case...

Met a group of Icelandic Air Stews in a Hotel in Minneapolis . Never seen such a group of beautiful ,tall ,blond women one spot since.
Was back in the 80's while at a CHS convention. I was impressed to say the least . Wife not so . They took up a whole elevator by them selves . Next morning met them all boarding a shuttle Van back to Airport.
One of my once in a lifetime wishing I was young and single moments . ;)

How embarassing...I do that, although not overtly and I use iFlyGPS. Oh well.....

I guess it's not a big deal if you don't point out to your seat-neighbour which SID you are flying and show them on your iPad...

Met a group of Icelandic Air Stews in a Hotel in Minneapolis . Never seen such a group of beautiful ,tall ,blond women one spot since.
Was back in the 80's while at a CHS convention. I was impressed to say the least . Wife not so . They took up a whole elevator by them selves . Next morning met them all boarding a shuttle Van back to Airport.

I think all those young beautiful women are still the same flight attendants working now. I have yet to see a hot one on that airline.

What pilot would get in on that??
break
Will those pilots be seen as scabs after the dispute is resolved?

I guess it's not a big deal if you don't point out to your seat-neighbour which SID you are flying and show them on your iPad...
Is it ok if my seat partner is my wife, who's actually interested?

I'm Icelandic with close ties to my family back there. After a visit to introduce my cousins to my wife and my oldest son, I was told I could never return without her. I guess my wife felt a little threatened by how beautiful the women were and everywhere we stopped they were chatting me up. Nothing bad, just friendly..

It would be interesting to learn more about the contract “requests” by the cabin crew. Somehow I think we are only hearing a fragment of the story

for the pilots the advantage Is they are paid to fly not sit on the ground. I’m sure there will be some humbling moments for them doing whatever COVID limited cabin service there is.

Was back in the 80's while at a CHS convention.

Community Health Services?
Catholic Health Services?
Children's Home Society?
Cenex Harvet States?
Combat Health Support?

There was a time when it was common to define initialism's and acronyms the first time they were used.

What pilot would get in on that??
break
Will those pilots be seen as scabs after the dispute is resolved?
Pilots that were already not being paid and without jobs due to the current crisis...

You can have twenty extra pilots on board in the US and you still can't fly passengers without the flight attendants. I'd be surprised if that worked in the EU either.

You can have twenty extra pilots on board in the US and you still can't fly passengers without the flight attendants. I'd be surprised if that worked in the EU either.
Based on a 5 minute skim and a Google search, the EASA continually said "cabin crew" in regards to how many were necessary on a flight.

Without exception?
Widely accepted?
In the US, I suspect only a few would.

Per the article... "Will instead replace them with pilots, not all of whom are currently required for flying duties due to the Corona crisis." I believe this is specific to Icelandair

I'm not a professional pilot, and I as such I may be overly optimistic about the decency of pilots, but...

How many pilots would be willing to participate in such an obvious union-busting tactic?

Get past the union issues and give them proper training like is mentioned here and they certainly could.

The "proper training" is "training them as flight attendants." In that case, I'd agree. Of course you better hope ALPA (or whoever is representing the pilots) doesn't call shenanigans on that activity.

From the article:

"The extra pilots will assume the normal positions of flight attendants in the passenger cabin and will be given expedited training in safety and emergency procedures. Similar tactics have been used by other airlines in the past, most notably British Airways, which used pilot volunteers to break a cabin crew strike in 2010." [emphasis added]

And then one of the pilots will show up wearing this.....

5dce939c5feb19088f4ddb56

You could probably file it as a negotiating tactic. They've come to an agreement with cabin crew now.

Community Health Services?
Catholic Health Services?
Children's Home Society?
Cenex Harvet States?
Combat Health Support?

There was a time when it was common to define initialism's and acronyms the first time they were used.
Cenex Harvest States , Back when John Johnson was CEO

What if a pilot failed flight attendant training?

Not smart on the part of the flight attendant union, but probably makes for some happy pilots that had been without a paycheck.

The "proper training" is "training them as flight attendants."

Something tells me pilots won't have a difficult time learning to open and close aircraft doors, knowing airport codes, or using emergency equipment since they know those things already.

"AIrport Codes" is entirely irrelevant. There's a definite aircraft-specific training that needs to be accomplished. Yes, a pilot shouldn't have any problem with the concepts, but they need to go through it. It covers not only the emergency equipment and procedures but down to how to handle mundane things like lighting and circuit breaker trips in the galley. But you just can't plop a pilot in the FA seat without doing the required procedures training. Even if they don't have to serve drinks.

Back