TIme + Tragedy = Comedy

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
I don't think I've seen a weather description quite like this in an accident report. Certainly doesn't paint the CFI in very good light, so to speak....

----------------------------------

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 32033 Make/Model: PA28 Description: PA-28 CHEROKEE, ARROW, WARRIOR, ACHER, D
Date: 03/19/2005 Time: 1500

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
PILOT WAS TRAINING STUDENT. HE SIMULATED AN ENGINE OUT AND WHEN HE PULLED
UP THE WING THE TIP HIT A HIGH TENSION WIRE. THE WINDSHIELD WAS CRACKED AND
THE WING TIP BROKE OFF. ACFT LANDED SAFELY. MINOR HEAD INJURY TO THE
STUDENT. EASTMAN, GA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 1 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY.

OTHER DATA
Activity: Training Phase: Other Operation: General Aviation

Departed: EASTMAN ,GA EZM Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: EASTMAN, GA EZM Flt Plan: NONE Wx Briefing: N
Last Radio Cont: NONENONE
Last Clearance: NONE

FAA FSDO: COLLEGE PARK, GA (SO11) Entry date: 03/21/2005

wsuffa said:
I don't think I've seen a weather description quite like this in an accident report.

I have. Different WX but the same mindset behind the report.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=55306&key=0

FACTOR(S)
WEATHER - LOW CEILING
WEATHER - UNFAVORABLE WIND CONDITIONS
WEATHER - TURBULENCE, ASSOCIATED W/CLOUDS AND/OR THUNDERSTORMS
WEATHER - DOWNDRAFT,UPDRAFTS
WEATHER BRIEFING - BRIEFED BY FLIGHT SERVICE PERSONNEL, BY PHONE
WEATHER FORECAST - FORECAST SUBSTANTIALLY CORRECT

I think there are at least a few NTSB types out there that really do understand.

And yes, I am very aware of the above link. It happened at my family's farm runway, or more to the point, the hill just around the corner from said runway. Not family or our plane however :( :( anyway.

100% * 2 easily preventable IMNSHO.

I can't say about the CFI, but wires are a leading cause of crashes in helicopters -- you can't see them from above -- I was taught to fly over the towers and NOT in between them.

What I won't do in a helicopter, you shouldnn't do in a fixed wing!

I had something nearly similar happen to me at a Wings Weekend. We fly in an area far from home.

The CFI had me simulate an engine failure. I pulled the power and I went through the emergency 1,2,3.. checklist and then "I'll aim for that field ahead...NO! THAT ONE, Left". I was on on downwind when I realized there were power lines about. Luckily he was satisfied I would make it and let me fly out before we hit anything. Once again, bless my roaring, "overpowered" 235 HP engine.

It's one thing making a quick choice and taking chances when it's a real emergency. There's no need to risk it when it isn't.

I waited 15 years. It gave me a chuckle, but I'm not sure it is comedy. Will check back in 2035.

;)

I came around for memory's sake and ended up deep in the archives - surreal to think of the early days of the yellow board exodus.

There was a fatal here 10-15 years ago. Got too low on simulated engine out, hit power or phones, crashed and burned. Student pilot languished in burn ward for months before finally succumbing. Instructor survived.

Back