What spaceship should I buy?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
The choices are so hard...which space flight company should I buy a flight on?

SpaceX? Just have to worry about Musk shooting you out into space, chasing his Tesla.

Virgin Galactic? Probably the coolest company anywhere.

Blue Origin? Origin Span? Boeing?

Do civilians get an astronaut pin?

Nothing on Barnstormers, Controller or TaP.

What is your mission? $1,000,000 freeze-dried hamburger run? Or taking the wife, two kids and bags to Mars?

May want to check useful load - probably only fill to tabs with all that weight.

edit - answer here is Space Bonanza, by the way

High wing or low wing spacecraft?

My wife won’t like the single door.
And one engine just doesn’t seem safe. I think I need a twin since I will be dining longer XCs and I worry about what happens if a single engine fails. Or is this equipped with CAPS?

Anything new will be too expensive. See if you can find a 1970 or 1971 Saturn V that’s had a recent annual. Put a flyer on the bulletin board in the VAB and see what turns up.

All the Saturn Vs and Redstones have run out engines with lifter spalling.

The Soviet Buran. I know of one in a Kazakstan hangar. Needs a little work but you’ll get a killer deal. Problem is you’ll need the AN225 to ferry to the
U.S.

upload_2020-7-17_19-41-22.jpeg

5d8c6e4815e9f91bdb2451f4.jpg

Hold out for one with The Infinite Improbability Drive, a wonderful new method of crossing interstellar distances in a mere nothingth of a second, without "tedious mucking about in hyperspace."

Hang on... are you looking for a RIDE on a spaceship, or to buy a spaceship?

Last I heard none of them have done the necessary paperwork to carry passengers for hire. So, they'd all be illegal to take you on a flight through any controlled airspace.

Kind of looks like a project. Was looking for something a little more turn-key and then learn about aerospace systems and rocket propulsion during owner assisted annuals.

does it have a WAAS GPS? How about autopilot?

And can I log PIC as sole manipulator even if I don’t have a type rating? Or does it matter in airspace above 60,000’?

Too bad the script writer didn't know that a parsec is a measure of distance (~3.3 light years) and not speed!!!

And one engine just doesn’t seem safe. I think I need a twin since I will be dining longer XCs and I worry about what happens if a single engine fails. Or is this equipped with CAPS?
Try this one, it is in Texas. Twin engine, able to carry the family plus some gear and good for most atmospheres. Recently restored! It could probably use a panel update and ADSB, though.

upload_2020-7-18_2-43-9.jpeg

Hold out for one with The Infinite Improbability Drive, a wonderful new method of crossing interstellar distances in a mere nothingth of a second, without "tedious mucking about in hyperspace."
The perfect ride for that $100,000,000 burger run to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe!

I’m leaning toward one of the classics...love the lines. I understand the robot is included.

If I can’t get it flying, I’ll resort to riding someone else’s.

Klaatu Barada Nicto

504A946B-DDF3-466C-AB6F-86BDD48545BF.png

Last edited:

Doors? Doors are so bourgeois! What a real world traveler wants is a transporter! And this one fits all the needs, twin main engines, impulse engine, docking thrusters, aforementioned transporter, separable disk (Who needs CAPS?), and even a small fleet of shuttle craft, so even the kids have fun! You should be able to get a good deal on one of the original models. Dilithium crystals not included.

upload_2020-7-18_7-26-58.png

Doors? Doors are so bourgeois! What a real world traveler wants is a transporter! And this one fits all the needs, twin main engines, impulse engine, docking thrusters, aforementioned transporter, separable disk (Who needs CAPS?), and even a small fleet of shuttle craft, so even the kids have fun! You should be able to get a good deal on one of the original models. Dilithium crystals not included.

View attachment 87838

How many photon torpedoes come with it?

E-LSA is the cheapest way to go. Plus, take the two day repairman course at Rainbow aviation and you can do ALL your own maintenance.

I’m leaning toward one of the classics...love the lines. I understand the robot is included.

If I can’t get it flying, I’ll resort to riding someone else’s.

Klaatu Barada Nicto

View attachment 87837
Nice, but kinda hard to find parts for, like a Commander or a Swift.

View attachment 87838
Nice, but warbirds are expensive, and almost impossible to maintain without a team. If you have wads of cash to throw out of the airlock, they are Cool, but not practical.

The Soviet Buran. I know of one in a Kazakstan hangar. Needs a little work but you’ll get a killer deal. Problem is you’ll need the AN225 to ferry to the
U.S.

View attachment 87826

This thing looks like the space travel equivalent of the Raptor so-called kit plane.

Back