Bonanza for off airport use.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
would this be good advice?
airport is an unimproved dirt/gravel relatively smooth, no big pot holes. but not level 100' rise in 2500' and it is not a airport, not marked in any map.

not sure on loading.

If it were up to me, I’d pull the charts and run a range of performance calculations before I’d even think about even looking at the location.

Bonanza being the answer for every question on PoA, I'd still consider about 15 other planes before the Bo in this scenario.

Are you going to takeoff downhill and land uphill?

You can always look at Navions :)

i hear good things about Bo's in this regard, if using that airstrip routinely, it'd be worth looking for one with a three blade with shorter tips and a big engine to get off the ground more easily, but unless they have to fly a long ways after takeoff, this screams 182 to me

I’m surprised how many are saying no. Certainly a low wing has its drawbacks as a back-woodsy bush plane, but the Bonanza, with ruggedly stout gear and good prop clearance, might be a good choice. They’re faster, roomier, and should be able to handle just about any grass strip a 182 could.

Thanks for the comments, the land and aircraft are already bought.

I’m not saying no, just would want to run the takeoff performance numbers and climb numbers for the area the strip is in first. A 100’ estimated change in strip elevation is about a 4% grade. Depending on conditions, you could get yourself into a situation where you can’t get off the ground safely, even going down hill. Lost a good friend, his wife and son to an accident like that. The difference in their situation was much smaller grade. Stall/spin on takeoff, where climb performance was under 200 fpm.

Is the question if the gear and plane will take non-paved runways? The answer is yes, the gear and plane are rugged enough for grass strips. If you are asking on performance numbers, then you gotta check the charts or get them from bonanza.org.

If the numbers work, then it will probably be fine. There is an great app called Bonanza Performance. Plug the numbers in and good

I’d be more worried about the tail coming from together necessitating a vertical descent, than landing it on a dirt road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This video is more proper than Matt Gutmiller's fine productions, I think. Notice that it even includes a significant incline.

The Bonanza was introduced in 1947, when most small airports had turf runways.
Very stout gear. Same as the Baron. No changes were necessary for the Baron's greater weight.

I know I’ve taken a 2ish year hiatus from PoA, but I guess sarcasm is dead?

Bo’s are okay off field. There are many better purpose built airframes for it at every price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back