Building a hangar

mxalix258

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mxalix258
There is a potential opportunity at a local airport to build a hangar - minimum size is 60x60. Part of me is interested in building this (mostly) myself if possible. How feasible is this given the right plan, equipment and support from a friend or two?

Given local building codes, I assume there will be some constraints around engineered plans. Initially, I thought a post frame construction may be more cost effective, but still pricing out steel truss structures or another approach.

Any advice from those who have built their hangar in the past? Given current steel prices, does a steel structure make more sense longer term?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Which state are you in?

Around here it's kind of a wash between steel versus wood construction. Materials costs go down where as labor costs go up, etc...

Of course, how much you want to sink into it depends a lot on what the terms of the ground lease is. Usually, you lose whatever you spend at the end of the term.

In Minnesota - that's where I was thinking wood construction would allow me to save a bit of money if I could do some (or most) of the labor myself. Land lease is 30 years and is a reasonable rate, has the opportunity to extend after 30 years or remove structure - but I assume at that time updates or enhancements would be required anyway.

One advantage of using one of the prefab or even often with just buying premade trusses is that manufacturer can often provide the engineering that your building departement would want to see. Note that there are likely specific fire resistance (special or heaviery drywall usually suffices) that are required for hangars as well as very specific electrical requirements.

Wood framing results in a quieter hangar. I have friends who have engineered steel hangars and steel insulated panel hangars. Mine is wood framed with finished drywall. I prefer mine.

The other advantage is cell phones and other radios work within with the doors shut. I had a neato cellphone preheater system but as soon as I closed my hangar doors in the all metal hangar, it lost signal. I did end up stuffing an antenna out the eaves to get it to work.

Based on your guys' experience, is it feasible to construct a wood framed hangar as more of a "DIY" project or is it more advisable to contract that out? The size itself would necessitate some special equipment to hang trusses and other things, and I'd want to subcontract concrete pour, but wondering the right balance of doing it myself vs. paying a professional.

"A man's gotta know his limitations" ... oh wait, wrong thread. I thought this was the "reply with movie quotes only" thread. :)

I'm right there with ya - would be very tempted to take this on myself ... until I honestly assess how many unfinished projects I already have looming over my head.

Where I live it would require engineering for seismic codes, snow loads, shear, and hold downs but once that's determined it's easy enough to frame the walls. Truss manufacturers should deliver to the roof. Rolling 60' trusses will require a crane. Figure out who's door you'll use so you can do structural mods if necessary. Different doors have different requirements.

The other advantage is cell phones and other radios work within with the doors shut. I had a neato cellphone preheater system but as soon as I closed my hangar doors in the all metal hangar, it lost signal. I did end up stuffing an antenna out the eaves to get it to work.

Our hangar is all metal and our cell phones work fine with all doors shut. Some fiberglass skylights are in the roof. I wonder if they are enough to let the RF in.???

The skylights probably helps. Mine works fine until the doors are fully closed. Even if they're ajar enough for me to walk between the cell works..

These hangars actually had wood for the interior structure, metal sheathing for the roof, sides, and door. My "wood" hangar has mostly wood stuff but the lintel over the hangar door is a metal box beam and there's a honking metal I-beam down the middle of the hangar to get sufficient clear space without making the roof too tall.

Whatever you do, don't build one with a north facing door in Minnesota.
Got that right.

@mxalix258 - Which airport are you planning to build at?

A guy at our airport (KGYL) did quite a bit himself and managed the slab, roofing and siding. Damn is his hydraulic door nice and quite, snug and provides a ton of shade out front when open. Its awesome how efficient it is (ie warm!). I don't really have a way for you to call him. But if you were to drive or fly in for a few hours I am sure he would give you pointers. There can be quite a bit of city/airport stuff in addition to the hangar like the amount of land in front you are responsible for paving, etc. Plus getting the permits can be a hassle and get spendy depending on who has to review it all.

I would personally not build it myself, but I have finished out two machine sheds on my farm (one of which houses an airplane). Airport requirements and local codes will be a major determinant. You might check with insurance to see if there is a big difference in costs or coverage.
Are you licensed to do the work? Are you competent to do the work? Who inspects it? Airport? City? County?
My daughters and I ran the pex for the in floor heat and did the re-rod for the floor. I let a plumber do the head and water. I wired it. We did the sidewall insulation and dry-wall, but the ceiling was cheaper to let the contractor put up and the overhead insulation I hired done for the same money it would have cost me for materials.
I acted as general. Hired the framing (including siding and roofing) and the concrete floor. My daughter and I put up the High-Fold door, insulated and sheeted it. What is your time worth? Do you have the tools and equipment?
I had access to cheap scaffolding - that can be expensive. We manhandled everything so didn't need a lift for the drywall. I have a tractor with a loader.
By-and-large, I'd hire it done but I don't know all your particulars.
I'd be leery of post-frame lasting 30 years. Mine are post frame but if they rot off you have quite a job of replacing posts. At least, I'd think of post on columns rather than post in the dirt.

Back