So, homebuilders...who are we and where do we stand?

I just want to ask. Does beacon light indicate running engine or something else? Thank you.

Some people leave the beacon light switch on to indicate when the master is on. When I had a beacon light, that's what I did.

Makes it nice when you close the hangar door and wonder why there's a pulsing red light and you slap yourself because you left the master switch on. I um, heard that from a friend. :rolleyes:

Makes it nice when you close the hangar door and wonder why there's a pulsing red light and you slap yourself because you left the master switch on. I um, heard that from a friend. :rolleyes:
I'd like to have one on my current plane. So for now, I have my nav lights on to "remind" me that the master is on. ;)

9D3B086E-A944-464F-9BA3-F3BEF6D2B587.jpeg

Making a split mold to construct a fiberglass boot cowl for my Hatz Classic. Five layers of mat/polyester resin. Now I get to do the bottom half!

Finished fitting the windshield. This took a lot longer than I expected!

upload_2020-12-13_16-24-4.jpeg

I'd like to have one on my current plane. So for now, I have my nav lights on to "remind" me that the master is on. ;)

Necropost, but you can find little tone generator chips that make various levels of sound when they have power. The power draw is pretty low. I've thought about installing one on the main buss so if the power is on, there is a 70 or 80 db sound from under the panel. My electric T&B used to perform that function, but it is long removed.

Sad part is they discontinued it this year.
I didn't realize that. Too bad because it really does fill a niche as a simple, affordable 4 place aircraft. It kind of makes sense though. For whatever reason they never really caught on. Also, it shares most of its parts with the Allarus (CH2000) which went out of production in 2011. Hopefully they will continue to support current owners and builders who are part way through the project.

I didn't realize that. Too bad because it really does fill a niche as a simple, affordable 4 place aircraft. It kind of makes sense though. For whatever reason they never really caught on. [...]

What could also have to do with that they didn't really promote the CH640. At least in recent years, they didn't even have it on their US website or at AirVenture.

What could also have to do with that they didn't really promote the CH640. At least in recent years, they didn't even have it on their US website or at AirVenture.

My brother built a CH640. It's not really a 4-place airplane, more like a 2+2. The back seats, and legroom were MAYBE big enough for a couple of very small pre-teens.

Are your wings on? Trimming the top edge to the skylight and the wing roots is a treat, eh? Are you drilling or melting the holes for screws?

I’m just starting to plan the assault on the wings. will be interesting to see how everything comes together (windshield, skylight, wing root fairing, rubber channel, etc).

I’m planning on drilling out the #40 holes with a specific bit I got from Aircraft Spruce. I saw the melted nail trick but it’s a little too foreign to me!

I am building a very non-quick build RV4. Fun but challenging process. Third to include pictures but can’t seem to get them into the post.

I'm building a Zenith CH750 Cruzer (last 5 years or so) Viking 130hp with Dynon & Tablet setup in Tavares, Florida , if anyone is interested I can post photos....

I'm building a Zenith CH750 Cruzer (last 5 years or so) Viking 130hp with Dynon & Tablet setup in Tavares, Florida , if anyone is interested I can post photos....

Yes I always like to see photos

This is what you do if you don't want guest to stay overnight in the extra room.... (it sleep there for almost 3 years) I will post some build photos shortly.

Attachments

• 20150814_211210.jpg
    20150814_211210.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 34
Zenith CH-750 Cruzer Build ...... (note the dates on the file names) (yyyy_month_date_time) and yes the the last photo has 3 fuel pumps / filters... (In the end it was wired up to be Master 1, Backup Pump 2 and Automatic backup pump 3 (when armed the pump 3 will start with out input from pilot on loss of fuel PSI... (This aircraft has 5 fuel tanks (Aux Left 8,Left 15,Header 2 ,Right 15,Right Aux 8gal )

Attachments

• 20150810_144004.jpg
    20150810_144004.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20151207_210625.jpg
    20151207_210625.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20161203_164224.jpg
    20161203_164224.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 29
  • 20170118_205615.jpg
    20170118_205615.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I just got the -10 up on the gear!

67145ded7c07d64a19ab070ad567c780.jpg

I know this thread has been dormant for a while - like two years - but I don’t think it’s bad to resurrect it.

This past weekend I drove 850 miles round trip to pick up a crate with all the spruce and plywood to finish my wings. All four of them. And the horizontal stab and elevator. A guy had bought a wing kit and didn’t have enough time to build it, so I got it at a significant savings over ordering spruce and aircraft plywood from Aircraft Spruce and paying truck freight.

I’ve got my last two wing ribs in the jigs now while the epoxy cures, and am about to start on the wing spars. Who knows? I may get this thing built some day. At least I can start making progress again after a couple years of little or no progress.

In other news, if you’re contemplating building a Fisher Celebrity, I have a full set of plans for sale.

I know this thread has been dormant for a while - like two years - but I don’t think it’s bad to resurrect it.

This past weekend I drove 850 miles round trip to pick up a crate with all the spruce and plywood to finish my wings. All four of them. And the horizontal stab and elevator. A guy had bought a wing kit and didn’t have enough time to build it, so I got it at a significant savings over ordering spruce and aircraft plywood from Aircraft Spruce and paying truck freight.

I’ve got my last two wing ribs in the jigs now while the epoxy cures, and am about to start on the wing spars. Who knows? I may get this thing built some day. At least I can start making progress again after a couple years of little or no progress.

In other news, if you’re contemplating building a Fisher Celebrity, I have a full set of plans for sale.
What airplane?

What are you planning for engine?
I don't have a plan as yet, really. I've considered an O-200, a reworked C-85, Rotec, Verner, Aeromomentum, Rotax, UL Power, and I even looked into a Corvair engine - though that's about the bottom of the pile, to be honest. I figure I've still got a couple of years until I have to make that decision. If I had my choice right now, cost being no object, it would be a Verner 7-cylinder radial. Cost is indeed a factor, though, so at this point I'm just keeping an eye out for candidate engines just in case something good drops into my lap.

I don't have a plan as yet, really. I've considered an O-200, a reworked C-85, Rotec, Verner, Aeromomentum, Rotax, UL Power, and I even looked into a Corvair engine - though that's about the bottom of the pile, to be honest. I figure I've still got a couple of years until I have to make that decision. If I had my choice right now, cost being no object, it would be a Verner 7-cylinder radial. Cost is indeed a factor, though, so at this point I'm just keeping an eye out for candidate engines just in case something good drops into my lap.

I looked at some pictures of the airframe -- I think a radial would look great! Best of luck with your build.

I've got a build log that I try to keep up to date. I've started on the main spars. A friend is letting me use his large, climate controlled shop to do the building. He's a cabinet guy, so the shop is well equipped for very precise cutting and there are some tools that would make the average woodworker drool (and not a hand saw to be found). I think yesterday afternoon was the first time it started to sink in with him just how involved and lengthy this build will be. I told him that I'm very appreciative of whatever time he's happy to have me working there, but if at any time it gets to be too much all he has to do is say the word and I'll move it all somewhere else.

IMG_2803.jpg

Last edited:
Been awhile since I posted to this. So, here's the latest on my RV-8 extra-slow build:

52827702162_f275466231_z.jpg

53151057161_a7ef9a27de_z.jpg

Pacific Coast Avionics cut, engraved and powder coated the instrument panel for me. I've been buying the avionics over the last several years.
Just finishing up the wiring with a VP-X Pro electronic buss system. Waiting on a connector kit that has been back ordered forever.

53261191325_27bbfc0567_z.jpg

Initial test fitting of the canopy frame. Still have hours and hours of fiddling and head scratching to get it right.

I'm in the "daydreaming about retirement and thing about talking my wife into letting me build a kit to keep me busy" stage of this process.......

Looking at some of your rag and tube projects here reminds me of how much fun I had in the little bit of time logged in the 7AC Champ. I keep flip flopping thinking that something like that would probably make more sense for me...over to wanting something more cross country capable....because I really see my mission focus to be more of a traveler.
For a while I was really eyeballing an RV-14...then I started looking closer at the RV-15 coming out...I'm not so interested in the "backcountry" aspect around here...not really that many places to use that 'feature'...but otherwise I like a lot of what I see in that design....but I know it'll be pricey and may not be all that realistic for my purpose.

I'm wondering if this is a bright idea. The 'net is full of haters who seem to dislike every single thing.

I fly a Hummel Ultra Cruiser that I built myself. It is powered by a lightened, tricked-out, Predator 670 with billet rods, roller bearings and more. In its basic form the riveted polished 6061 sheet aircraft is completely flyable at less than 254 pounds (including engine, ground adjustable e-prop, and engine oil), plus pilot and fuel. With all the "niceties" (instruments, a spinner, canopy, seat cushions, and a full recovery 'chute) it is under 278 pounds, and fully complies with the statutory restrictions of FAR 103 pursuant to the applicable worksheets.

Monocoque (Really... On an aviation site the spell checker doesn't include the word monocoque?) construction from riveted aluminum, 4-stroke power, conventional gear... It's a REAL airplane, just lighter than most.

I'm wondering if this is a bright idea. The 'net is full of haters who seem to dislike every single thing.

I fly a Hummel Ultra Cruiser that I built myself. It is powered by a lightened, tricked-out, Predator 670 with billet rods, roller bearings and more. In its basic form the riveted polished 6061 sheet aircraft is completely flyable at less than 254 pounds (including engine, ground adjustable e-prop, and engine oil), plus pilot and fuel. With all the "niceties" (instruments, a spinner, canopy, seat cushions, and a full recovery 'chute) it is under 278 pounds, and fully complies with the statutory restrictions of FAR 103 pursuant to the applicable worksheets.

Monocoque (Really... On an aviation site the spell checker doesn't include the word monocoque?) construction from riveted aluminum, 4-stroke power, conventional gear... It's a REAL airplane, just lighter than most.

No reason for haters or shame. That's a fine ultralight and yes it is a real airplane. I'm currently flying a Corvair powered tailwheel Sonex but a number of moons ago I flew various ultralight & fat ultralight aircraft such as Challenger, Rans, Hawk, Legal Eagle, etc. It takes skill to fly a light plane well ...

I’ve got my first wing (of four) close to being done, just finishing up the aileron.
View attachment 124259

now that looks like a real homebuilt.... hand crafted, complete with the curled wood shavings on the bench!

Me, I'm still in the daydreaming phase. Looking forward to retiring as soon as I can get the wife to come around to the idea and figure out things like health insurance. (and build the pile of $ up just a bit more!) Then starting a project to keep me busy

I'm just thinking about a kit of some kind. Probably a pre-punched sheet metal variety...

The more I bounce around in that space the more it seems that there aren't all that many plans and raw materials type builders out there anymore.

Back