Don't be this guy...

Not only has he not logged any of his flights, he's not gonna pay the gummint $5 every 3 years just so they can add his name to some database where randos on the internet can just look him up....

That's a really bad decision, by the way.

Sounds like the guy that made several circuits around our airport on a very busy day with student pilots doing landing practice, returning traffic (including me) and some planes doing practice instrument approaches. This was pre-EFB days. He made not a single call, and was cutting off aircraft right and left, causing students to flee the pattern and land, and me to make a go around after a long trip. "Silent Joe" finally landed to get fuel, as did I. When I found him in the FBO, I asked him why he did not use the radio (didn't look like a NORDO plane, and indeed was not) and he said he used it the whole time. Except he was using the wrong CTAF. "I've been flying a long time, and everybody knows to use 122.8," he lectured everyone in the FBO. Except our airport CTAF is 123.0. He didn't have any maps on board, or an AF/D, and said he never carried them. I offered to give him a map so he might know the area CTAFs, and he declined. I guess real pilots don't use maps. And when he left, he did not use CTAF then, either.
That was me once upon a time, but it was simply because I'd input the wrong frequency in the radio. The difference was I couldn't hear any of the evident traffic, so I boogeyed elsewhere and worked it out. Radio isn't required, but it is if you're cutting off other airplanes.

"Had to be an east river COB, because nobody from west river would act that way ..."

Don't know of any COB east river either. Maybe the "South Dakota" part was wrong.

That was me once upon a time, but it was simply because I'd input the wrong frequency in the radio. The difference was I couldn't hear any of the evident traffic, so I boogeyed elsewhere and worked it out. Radio isn't required, but it is if you're cutting off other airplanes.
Then there was the time that I was told that it was me - the guy in the hangar across from me was in the pattern and told me that he hadn't heard any calls from me. I had the radio checked and it was fine. A while later saw the guy again and he said that he had mis-set something on his intercom and that is why he didn't hear me.

Then there was the time that I was told that it was me - the guy in the hangar across from me was in the pattern and told me that he hadn't heard any calls from me. I had the radio checked and it was fine. A while later saw the guy again and he said that he had mis-set something on his intercom and that is why he didn't hear me.
I had a local guy chew me out a few weeks ago for not making any calls. I had called every thing I did. Someone on the ground when I got there said they heard all my calls. I got out my portable when he came back and called him - no response. He had his volume down too low.....

If you think belittling someone for filling out a logbook so they can "become an airline pilot or something" or chastising a just-solo'd student because they did not get their license in 30 days is "humor" then we have nothing more to discuss.

The COB probably had you figured for a young sensitive type and just wanted to have a little fun pushing your buttons. Obviously worked.

The COB probably had you figured for a young sensitive type and just wanted to have a little fun pushing your buttons. Obviously worked.

Ha! How litttle ye know.

Apparently in your world it is completely acceptable to be a prick to total strangers. Thankfully you are not part of my world.

Sitting in the airport lounge with a student who just got back from his first solo. He is still higher than a kite with excitment and we are discussing his three trips around the patch.

Suddenly a Cardinal pulls up and in rushes a crotchety old bastard hollaring something about "Where is the bathroom!! I almost didn't make it here!!"

Whatever...

Back to what we were doing. As I was filling out his log for the dual flight we did right before his solo, COB comes stumbling out of the bathroom and with a sneer on his face looks at me and says, "Are you really filling out a logbook? I haven't logged a flight in years! What...? Are you trying to get a bunch of licenses to become an airline pilot or something?"

With as nice a tone as I could manage I quietly explained to COB that I was filling out my student's logbook and besides, a logbook was not just a list of flights taken, it is an autobiographical record of places visited, experiences lived, and trials overcome. (Trying to keep it light and deflect some of COB's acid from getting on my student)

He then (continuing to interrupt the conversation we already had going) started to berate my student for "taking so damn long" to get his license and went on to tell us about how he got his license "only 30 days after taking my first flight".

Please, if you are a COB, keep your crap at your own home drome. I am sure they love you, and your attitude, there.
Unfortunately this is all too common.. when I got my license for the first few years I made an effort to hang out at the airport get to know the local pilots etc.. I quickly found out that about 90% of them were all crotchety old guys who hated everything that wasn't them, their piloting style, or their plane.. I was 16 - 20 then

F**k 'em. My nephew who is 18 now and a really bright kid is learning the same thing as he works his way through multi, IR, etc

... speaking of Cirrus, on my recent Tahoe flight my friend in the right seat couldn't make it! I blame the coffee he chugged two hours before.. thankfully he was able to makeshift something. Thanks to the Cirrus' class leading cabin width, 21st century ergonomics, no yoke in the way, this was an easy stunt for him to pull off. Can't imagine gymnastics like that in a narrow Bonanza with a massive bar spanwise across the cockpit, yoke, etc

I am sorry to say that the fraction of jerks in flying seems to be higher than in rock climbing or mountaineering, two other avocations I pursued seriously.
They're mostly jerks unfortunately. Too bad

Can't imagine gymnastics like that in a narrow Bonanza with a massive bar spanwise across the cockpit, yoke, etc
Yeah, those Bonanza yokes are well-known for how much they encroach on right-seat pax... :rolleyes:
pCjOKzOs3Ii1ejpY3t9LzArJAdqay_Qwj9LStXop7EWafusnC5Wevu8i4ft_LP0N4FHTn1Lsn-qAy50ghLA9zcG0PWx2MNn3s7egMDMeZNmsfTIGlP7yDFU

Yeah, those Bonanza yokes are well-known for how much they encroach on right-seat pax... :rolleyes:
pCjOKzOs3Ii1ejpY3t9LzArJAdqay_Qwj9LStXop7EWafusnC5Wevu8i4ft_LP0N4FHTn1Lsn-qAy50ghLA9zcG0PWx2MNn3s7egMDMeZNmsfTIGlP7yDFU
:D
touche!

Although it was mostly in jest. My right seater once also managed to relieve himself in a PA28.. so it *can* be done!

I am sorry to say that the fraction of jerks in flying seems to be higher than in rock climbing or mountaineering, two other avocations I pursued seriously.

Flying doesn't have the ready solution for jerks of loosening a carabiner. Stands to reason that the percentages would drift apart given time. :D

They're mostly jerks unfortunately. Too bad
@PeterNSteinmetz wanted to clarify what I meant here.. many of the people I meet when traveling "off the beaten path" to smaller airports are fantastic people. Kern, Oceano, etc. But you also come across a lot of stuffy, crotchety, and just generally unfriendly people too.. for whatever reason. Maybe I'm a little older now and things have changed, but I had a lot of disappointing experiences with pilots when I was 16-20 back on the east coast shortly after getting licensed - certainly soured the hobby to me and we've seen a fair amount of PoA posts here too about new pilots getting discouraged by either grumpy instructors or just other rude pilots

@PeterNSteinmetz wanted to clarify what I meant here..

I understand and agree. I do think I meet more unpleasant pilots than I did rock climbers or mountaineers. Also I think I only met them on the east coast. It was a rather rare occurrence actually. Might have to do with the factor suggested by @schmookeeg ;-)

@PeterNSteinmetz wanted to clarify what I meant here.. many of the people I meet when traveling "off the beaten path" to smaller airports are fantastic people. Kern, Oceano, etc. But you also come across a lot of stuffy, crotchety, and just generally unfriendly people too.. for whatever reason. Maybe I'm a little older now and things have changed, but I had a lot of disappointing experiences with pilots when I was 16-20 back on the east coast shortly after getting licensed - certainly soured the hobby to me and we've seen a fair amount of PoA posts here too about new pilots getting discouraged by either grumpy instructors or just other rude pilots

Ding ding ding ding!!!

Ding ding ding ding!!!
California gets a lot of (some deserved) flak. But it will be a cold day in hell before I get dragged back to the Northeast

The COB may have a personality disorder, which, at best, can be managed. If so, he ain't managing.

I think we may have figured out the tail number. There are only two pilots listed in the Airmen Registry with his First MI Last combination. If he is either of these two guys, a lot has been explained.

Screenshot_20200717-141058_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200717-141125_Firefox.jpg

The first entry doesn't make sense. Medical of 5/1994, but private issued in 2011

Unless that request was to get a plastic cert which resets the issue date. And he's been flying without a medical for 26 years?

The first entry doesn't make sense. Medical of 5/1994, but private issued in 2011

Unless that request was to get a plastic cert which resets the issue date. And he's been flying without a medical for 26 years?

One of his many "brags" was that he has issues with his medical. Neither of those two above have a valid medical.

I had a FR candidate last year that claimed to have been a pilot for four years, even though the database said her Private was issued in 2019. Turns out when she submitted an address change from Texas to NoDak, they changed the date of issue on her certificate.

It the "date of issue" of the certificate. New piece of plastic, new date.

Odd thing is that mine did not change when I did an address change five years ago. It still has the original issue date of my last Commercial certificate. So I guess sometimes an address change results in a new issue date?

Odd thing is that mine did not change when I did an address change five years ago. It still has the original issue date of my last Commercial certificate. So I guess sometimes an address change results in a new issue date?
Did you get a new piece of plastic?

My issue date is from when I requested a new plastic when the said paper ticket were expiring Before that, it was dated for my ME ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Are you really filling out a logbook? I haven't logged a flight in years''!

''I'm sure your mother must be proud....''

''Are you complaining or apologizing....''

''Never learned to write, Ok....''

Quick comebacks is a curse. I have learned to keep my thoughts to myself as I get older. On the other side, I really enjoyed Don Rickles...

Reactions: smv
Back