RIP Grant Imahara

Yeah, this one is a shocker. Stars burn out from drugs and stuff, but geeks usually persevere.

I'm sad to hear the news. I attended one of the last Punkin Chunkin events held in Delaware, and Grant, Tory, and Kari were there with a crew filming for their annual Thanksgiving Punkin Chunkin Mythbusters Special. It was fun to watch them work.

Whoa! Seriously? I really loved watching him and the rest of the team on Mythbusters. RIP Grant.

One of my favorite people in my college group of friends died to an aneurysm that burst while driving back from visiting his parents.

From what I was told, it was as quick as having your power switch flicked to off.

One of my favorite people in my college group of friends died to an aneurysm that burst while driving back from visiting his parents.

From what I was told, it was as quick as having your power switch flicked to off.

Same. I had a friend that had one at age 21.
At a bar talking with friends and just gone in an instant.

While that is one of the ways this can present, more commonly it presents with a severe headache, vomiting and stroke like symptoms and patients do make it to the hospital. Depending on the severity of the bleed, patients often require surgery or a cath-lab procedure where the anurysm gets plugged up from the inside using small platinum coils, stents or crazy-glue.

Those aneurysms have a genetic component to them and having a first degree relative with an aneurysm increases the odds far above the (low) baseline. Also, they grow over time and the risk of rupture goes up as they grow (bigger balloon, thinner wall, higher wall tension). Frequently patients experience headaches during the phase when the aneurysm grows. So if anyone has persistent headaches, it is important that they see someone who knows how to work this up. The good news is, an unruptured aneurysm detected at either screening, by chance or during a workup for headaches can in most cases be treated via endovascular treatment rather than open surgery. If they rupture, even though the majority people these days survive, the patients are frequently left with some type of neurologic impairment. When treated in a elective fashion, the risk of the procedure, when done in the right hands, is reasonable.

Back