<NA> Motorcycle photo thread

My Saturday ride resulted in sunburn. I lotioned up my head, neck, face, ears, upper arms. Didn't do my forearms because I already have the farmers tan going. But almost 4 hours of near cloudless riding, I burned the inside of my elbows.

Wow, I've never seen the Gap so empty during the summer..

Blount County Police doing heavy enforcement. We ran it from the west, and as we crossed the bridge to go up the hill two motor officers pulled out after us. So, we painstakingly held 30mph up to the overlook and pulled in. They backed their bikes into hiding and started lasering bikes coming the other way down the hill to the overlook. Within seconds they had a customer, he had no license plate, no mirrors, so started writing him up.

We took that as a good sign to pull out and continue on to the store. After a few cautions corners we lit it up and had a clean run to the store, very nice! But the enforcement is keeping folks away.

Blount County Police doing heavy enforcement. We ran it from the west, and as we crossed the bridge to go up the hill two motor officers pulled out after us. So, we painstakingly held 30mph up to the overlook and pulled in. They backed their bikes into hiding and started lasering bikes coming the other way down the hill to the overlook. Within seconds they had a customer, he had no license plate, no mirrors, so started writing him up.

We took that as a good sign to pull out and continue on to the store. After a few cautions corners we lit it up and had a clean run to the store, very nice! But the enforcement is keeping folks away.

Makes sense. It's become pretty drastic there over the last few years. It's a fun road when ridden briskly, but zealous enforcement has taken that away.

Now if there were a place where I would favor defunding the police,......

The nicest bonus at the Gap was seeing five Honda Pacific Coast out together. It's getting rare to see one out in the wild let alone a gaggle.

The nicest bonus at the Gap was seeing five Honda Pacific Coast out together. It's getting rare to see one out in the wild let alone a gaggle.

One of the guys in our local group had one a few years ago. Pretty neat to see one.

I suck at taking photos of my bikes, and I've had a bunch. None of the ones shown are mine, but they're close enough. Lets see:
Honda Hawk 400. Only rode it about 30,000 miles since I could walk to work most days. My first motorcycle ride was on it on the freeway.
Kawasaki KZ750. Thought I was stepping up from the Honda. Damn thing broke every trip I took on it. Had to wrench it in the middle of Yosemite valley. Mine was a different color than the one shown.
Honda Nighthawk 650. Best bike I ever owned. I could do a valve job with a screwdriver, had a fuel gauge, did I mention it was shaft drive?
Honda Nighthawk 750. Got it after the 650 was thieved for the second time. No fuel gage, shaft drive or other goodies. Rode from DC to Ohio something like 10 times on that bike.
Honda 954rr. Just had to scratch that itch, and scratch it I did. Mrs. Steingar took one look at it and said "are you out of your ****ing mind"
Honda Gl110 Goldwing. Mrs. Steingar missed riding with me and couldn't ride the death machine. Just couldn't bend like that. I bought the Goldwing to ride her around. Until I saw an MRI of her back, that is...
HondaCB1000r. My Italian Honda. Scratches that itch without destroying the rest of me.
img_RtyyiFfMdJ.jpg

1982-kawasaki-kz750-e3-sports.jpg

rsz_1rsz_honda-1_media-jpg.jpg

HECR6VCVEZM2V7INHLDVAH64WY.jpg

1016_0.jpg

HONDA%20GL1100%2081%20%20inte.jpg

2011-cbr1000r-i1.jpg

My bikes, past and present:

1975_S3.jpg
1975 Kawasaki S-3 Triple, before being modified for 410 production racing.
CB300F.jpg
2017 Honda CB400F. Fun little bike for around town...
2017_EBR_1190RX.jpg
The very last red 2017 EBR(Erik Buell Racing) 1190RX! Almost too much motorcycle for street riding!
It's all Carbon Fiber and retuned now...

Hard to believe I got this plate:
BUELL.jpg

Also a Triumph trials bike and a Vespa, but no surviving photos of those machines...

Honda-CB350-4-motorcycle-review-2.jpg

Stock photo, not the one I had.

I had one of these, Honda CB350 Four, I bought it at a garage sale in 1979 for a hundred bucks. The exhaust was rotted so I replaced it with 4 straight pipes. Man, that exhaust screamed at high RPM.

Unfortunately, I did not know what it was at the time. 2 years later I sold it to a guy for 2 hundred bucks and he made a dirt bike out of it.

Started in Hawaii. Shipped to Montana, continued from there. Nice try, Super Sleuth. :rolleyes:

Separate trips. Cool that you have ridden in all 50 states though.

So here's my first ride, a Kawasaki KLR 650 and that's me on the Dragon's Tail.
IMG_6506 compressed.JPG
Here's my next bike, a Kawasaki Vulcan S.
IMG_1177.JPG
And finally my current ride, a 2018 Harley Softail Slim.
IMG_1867.JPG

I suck at taking photos of my bikes, and I've had a bunch. None of the ones shown are mine, but they're close enough. Lets see:
Honda Hawk 400. Only rode it about 30,000 miles since I could walk to work most days. My first motorcycle ride was on it on the freeway.
Kawasaki KZ750. Thought I was stepping up from the Honda. Damn thing broke every trip I took on it. Had to wrench it in the middle of Yosemite valley. Mine was a different color than the one shown.
Honda Nighthawk 650. Best bike I ever owned. I could do a valve job with a screwdriver, had a fuel gauge, did I mention it was shaft drive?
Honda Nighthawk 750. Got it after the 650 was thieved for the second time. No fuel gage, shaft drive or other goodies. Rode from DC to Ohio something like 10 times on that bike.
Honda 954rr. Just had to scratch that itch, and scratch it I did. Mrs. Steingar took one look at it and said "are you out of your ****ing mind"
Honda Gl110 Goldwing. Mrs. Steingar missed riding with me and couldn't ride the death machine. Just couldn't bend like that. I bought the Goldwing to ride her around. Until I saw an MRI of her back, that is...
HondaCB1000r. My Italian Honda. Scratches that itch without destroying the rest of me.
img_RtyyiFfMdJ.jpg

1982-kawasaki-kz750-e3-sports.jpg

rsz_1rsz_honda-1_media-jpg.jpg

HECR6VCVEZM2V7INHLDVAH64WY.jpg

1016_0.jpg

HONDA%20GL1100%2081%20%20inte.jpg

2011-cbr1000r-i1.jpg

I loved my 954. As sportbikes go, it was fairly comfortable, and did everything reasonably well.

That's where I know you, from the races in Sears and Laguna Seca. I was a SCRAMP track worker and saw all of you guys. Pridmore and DuHamel were my heroes, though...
I also raced this at Laguna SecaSidcar Jack Morris and Vance Breese.jpg
Thank you for your service. We could not race without you.

I loved my 954. As sportbikes go, it was fairly comfortable, and did everything reasonably well.
I loved mine too, though I wouldn't say it did everything well. My Nighthawk did that. What the 954 did really well was go really really fast. It was kinda like dating a hot BSC girl. Fun to be seen with, fun to ride but hard to live with.

Do they still put kick starts on motorcycles.??

I had an '81 CX-500 that did not have a kick start. A lot of folks ribbed me on that.

I had an '81 CX-500 that did not have a kick start. A lot of folks ribbed me on that.

I think Suzuki stopped offering it in the DR650 in the mid 90s.

I've seen them on the little single cylinder 150cc things they sell at the local scooter shop. My first motorcycle had a kickstarter. Ungodly complex thing too. Helped me out when the battery died though. Can't imagine kick starting a Harley or an old Indian with those big engines though.

I've seen them on the little single cylinder 150cc things they sell at the local scooter shop. My first motorcycle had a kickstarter. Ungodly complex thing too. Helped me out when the battery died though. Can't imagine kick starting a Harley or an old Indian with those big engines though.

I rode a 1-cyl 650(? - it was 30+ years ago) with a kick starter on it. Had a compression release valve that you had to open to get it started.

With an electric starter there is no emotion. Either is works or it doesn't.
With a kick starter it feels magical if it starts on the first kick and you have a tremendous feeling of accomplishment if she starts on the tenth kick.
It is a little like hand proping an airplane although less dangerous.

My 1975 & 1976 GoldWing GL1000s had kick starters. The lever was stored in the faux fuel tank pod. They were very easy to kick start. Good thing too because the '76 could never keep the battery charged and made barely enough power to keep the motor running. Carried a battery charger everywhere I went and made sure I parked near an outlet whenever I could. :D

Let me see what digital pix I have conveniently stored:

Triumph Trophy 1200 - up and loaded for a long trip.

mUG1nwvBzQ_DFCdCmMeX_PfGzcUTDrH9dfv0wOcBKfixa5fh8yaLh6Zsvtn9-_8-RJQ_hEUOF86WpgJdjkH7KMNzMETpbxLeQUp41YaLoHv1thyWgG3yesnrE0fkfwcqomdnuPd60g

Having a pre-ride "conference" with my friend, Kevin, as we're rolling out of Tecate.

ZHDflo_k6KVPf3yevYoqnf4FDfFmbEgkXZxmnyl58Uf2axOocWpBxgqHz15kgNJhT7QcclJdz5xJlEXLBcuIyVp9zfRN_-tKmIupX7E2TNDsyw6hgwR0tGsCJPqsCsWsc3ww97iGiQ

Not enough people see Northern AZ, but my Trophy got me there.

jLTsq7wjYH0X9C4LAFflmQDw4j_azdOv77XyqbC4rxK_TEfdbBg99Kw75C5Wn9y1BJbkjEK18X_014yVkvU9LyJtN1ZTv-jN6aumOh07PvPIxrIqIpHbc4kR8t4cuMnJ1-T9QA3GGg

I've owned dozens (literally) of Goldwings, and four of them, LTDs.

If you can handle the colour, the fuel-injected GL-1200 is a cool beast!

3RrFrFtfiNdX1pnpM4kuKEphas5963RsyqN0-m5-tCpxwyDYJt9nvXqs2rgyrWB0eY3Xc4c6iDLtptTHo2j3YNz5mhhW1_kUOKWVxDYkE5L8vRtjO92McrcLcWlubj_xGWse3WfQWw

Everyone needs a fun Speed Triple in their lives:

RwZEayoA40vX1pKHMQhfWU3bSIPeWzpi13ICgv1oxUOlrHFTsivfuFkQ1bCs8LBBbMgPAPLUz6FlZxZ_cPgXkDLuWV2WlKA8vr819xjZ7115TyJN51H9ZG0dc2Pz_qA4o3Jz7QCs-w

They're fun at Palomar Mountain and Lake Henshaw:

dvT7MPfFq81q7ipP6Ps5Y7BeckR3P1yMcFEdYNPIJYsULMKHVoRKvM-t0RD0qLzZwTY_dJtEiVgisR9p3JJ3-4z1CgTX_Soq_QtLuq4VjEUrRKXGrN3p6ZkNHrwQjY4gp7kXFqR6_g

But they're not as much fun in the mud:

cxPPQODdT5_vJhiM1Ni5O1LJgAwhabmn_LvaKI9TBTaamTghWkSE-BJd6FoQT8H5UCUqBVFyzSG-JzUujR2-Xx79M3chXcEMrj2BYtW-baozMgVP4PFWBxBxEPfzZewb47cH1LwXHw

And, everyone needs something ridiculously powerful and fast:

3PnhvRFXK83ZFV1jr-kpGP78I8nzKVZshqG0IX_UvSpTdXE8cgupUZ9K59lvfDigA4efTbgVASLUuxnX8gaLpJ9ILcl_XZnvrA7kKn2R1OKTtMdT8qK8-AhY7dpNz39L8llxJBHjSA

Let me see what digital pix I have conveniently stored:

Triumph Trophy 1200 - up and loaded for a long trip.

mUG1nwvBzQ_DFCdCmMeX_PfGzcUTDrH9dfv0wOcBKfixa5fh8yaLh6Zsvtn9-_8-RJQ_hEUOF86WpgJdjkH7KMNzMETpbxLeQUp41YaLoHv1thyWgG3yesnrE0fkfwcqomdnuPd60g

The hell with the Trophy! Is that a Mk I or a Mk II hiding in the garage?

A lot of modern day scooters with electric start still have a kick start for backup.

Here's a few that I've had over the years. Still got the GSA (and a new GSA that I don't have a picture of yet).

Ben_SObike.jpg BT_corner.jpg BT_foothills1.jpg Thanksgiving_99.jpg CadwellPark.jpg IMG_2369.JPG IMG_2370.JPG

Back