FAA Guidance on OTC Medications

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Wow, Mike. That is a good resource. I hard copied one and have a digital on my iPad. Thanks for the reference.

Looks like this document came from late November of 2019. Good find

I've been doing some research on an article about accidents caused by impairment or incapacitation. Found this interesting quote in an NTSB accident report:

“The American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine conducted a study…on the effects of diphenhydramine [e.g., Benadryl] on driving performance. Participants had significantly better coherence after taking alcohol... than after taking diphenhydramine...” (FTW01LA168)

In other words, it affects users more strongly than alcohol. Don't know how the doses compared, of course.

Out of 87 homebuilt accidents that included some sort of substance impairment, here's the breakdown:
impairment.JPG

Ron Wanttaja

I've been doing some research on an article about accidents caused by impairment or incapacitation. Found this interesting quote in an NTSB accident report:

“The American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine conducted a study…on the effects of diphenhydramine [e.g., Benadryl] on driving performance. Participants had significantly better coherence after taking alcohol... than after taking diphenhydramine...” (FTW01LA168)

In other words, it affects users more strongly than alcohol. Don't know how the doses compared, of course.

Out of 87 homebuilt accidents that included some sort of substance impairment, here's the breakdown:
View attachment 87609
Ron Wanttaja
Crazy part is some people start out right with Prescription Drugs instead working their way up to it counter-clockwise..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Interesting. Some of the information is patently wrong. Acetaminophen isn't an NSAID (it's not anti-inflammatory at all).

"NSAIDs (non- steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs) and analgesics"

Crazy part is some people start out right with Prescription Drugs instead working their way up to it counter-clockwise..

Not sure what this means.

I rarely took anything before my major medical issue that went “straight to” prescriptions that were disqualifying for flight.

Disqualifying is disqualifying, and order of putting it in your Piehole really isn’t relevant at all, nor will make anyone healthier or smarter than anybody else.

If a doc says you need a prescription, get a prescription. Complain a little that you’d like to avoid drugs if possible if the doc tends to be a pill pusher, perhaps.

Yeah, that's all fine and dandy except when the OTC lists every freaking side effect under the sun because 1 test case out of a million got sleepy. I will continue to take my anti-poops meds after a night of bad mexican food because in all the years I've been taking it, not once have I gotten sleepy. Nyquil on the other hand....

Not sure what this means.

I rarely took anything before my major medical issue that went “straight to” prescriptions that were disqualifying for flight.

Disqualifying is disqualifying, and order of putting it in your Piehole really isn’t relevant at all, nor will make anyone healthier or smarter than anybody else.

If a doc says you need a prescription, get a prescription. Complain a little that you’d like to avoid drugs if possible if the doc tends to be a pill pusher, perhaps.
Yeah I always say negative to prescriptions unless it's going to prolong the recovery.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back