CA airplane taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, meant BOE....Board of Equalization...EDD is an entirely other worthless state government department.
It's hard to keep up with all the TLAs!

The high taxes in California must be worth it. I mean, the government there provides its serfs with nearly ideal weather year round.

Why, it's so wonderful there, you can spend 365 days a year in a tent. Or a cardboard box, or wrapped in a tarp on the curb. You can defecate wherever you want. And nobody can make you move. And the "beauty part" is that if you choose to live "outdoorsy" like that, all those other people will pay exorbitant taxes to protect your right to do so...

Sorry you have to pay taxes on hangars you don't own, property tax on personal property, and sales tax on planes that were sold to you elsewhere.

I guess you can keep your ideal weather... I like seasons anyway.

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

Setup an LLC in Delaware. It'll save you thousands.
Won't save you anything over PERSONAL ownership in California. It might (and this is a big might) save you the franchise tax on a California LLC if you really think LLCs are important.

Yeah, they don’t care what you want if you’re renting. They can enter your hangar anytime they please, it’s not a private residence. Don’t like it, they’ll just give it to the next person on the waiting list.

Cool, never had that issue. I’m in CA and CA has no idea my plane is kept in CA.

LLCs can limit liability, they don’t save money except maybe sales taxes if in a partnership and changing partners.

They only limit liability if you aren't the one flying the plane. You can still be held liable for your actions regardless of whose name is on the paperwork.

They only limit liability if you aren't the one flying the plane. You can still be held liable for your actions regardless of whose name is on the paperwork.

Yes, in addition if you do maintenance on the plane you still can be held liable, even if you’re not the pilot.

I was being facetious. The state is doing better than it was a few years ago. In fact, you can argue that the tax situation is what they need to be doing. They were hurting pretty badly with initiatives like prop13 in the past.
Prop 13 doesn’t affect state budgets since it is a local property tax cap. We were hurting pretty badly in the 90s and early 2000s because one political party was resistant to good governance. We had multiple years when the state had to delay payments to vendors because one party wouldn’t allow the budget to pass. We voted for a prop that repealed the 2/3 rule for budget changes and voted most of the obstructionists out of office. We also benefitted tremendously from the boom economy that occurred after the 2008 crash.

There are multiple ways to legally mitigate this tax liability, which isn't very high anyway.

The sales tax and the personal property tax are two different taxes. Yes, you owe them both. Welcome to living in a bankrupt state.

You know, you can feel free to send us our money back.

Sorry, meant BOE....Board of Equalization...EDD is an entirely other worthless state government department.

Yeah, cause it is totally worthless to assure people who are disabled or out of work end up in the gutter.

Prop 13 doesn’t affect state budgets since it is a local property tax cap. We were hurting pretty badly in the 90s and early 2000s because one political party was resistant to good governance. We had multiple years when the state had to delay payments to vendors because one party wouldn’t allow the budget to pass. We voted for a prop that repealed the 2/3 rule for budget changes and voted most of the obstructionists out of office. We also benefitted tremendously from the boom economy that occurred after the 2008 crash.

Most folks in here don't want to hear what party that was...

Most folks in here don't want to hear what party that was...
If the conversation continues along these lines, the thread will be locked and warnings given.

Update: Because of the reply (now deleted) this thread will stay locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back