Don't try this at home!

Something something should've tried a treadmill :D

Interesting - but problems that I am unlikely to ever face. Camera work in the first video left something to be desired.

I rode in an amphibious floatplane once (for a very short flight) - and that was not without problems. It had a sticky brake on landing,
with taxiing requiring a helper to push on that side to avoid unwanted turning. It was being operated in salt water.

Dave

Notice the turn signal on the truck as it exits the runway. Nice touch. :D
Well it is consistent with FAR 91.125 which says that blinking red means "taxi clear of the runway".

There was a thread about this a while back. Apparently a common practice for floaties coming out of maintenance.

But still fun to watch.

Cool video.
Imagine the guy in the truck hearing on the radio "we have a problem and need to return"...

Chris

After first decent snowfall remove from lake/river by landing on the snow beside runway at airport you are using for MTX/storage and then use trailer for launch after spring thaw.

How do you time when to go full throttle while the plane is on the trailer?
Don’t know why you can’t from the start. As long as the towing vehicle accelerates briskly, I don’t think the airplane would “overtake” it.

Otherwise, since throttle response is almost instantaneous on a recip, one could go to full throttle at normal rotation speed and be fine, I would think.

I’m sure there is a procedure for this.

Don’t know why you can’t from the start. As long as the towing vehicle accelerates briskly, I don’t think the airplane would “overtake” it.

Otherwise, since throttle response is almost instantaneous on a recip, one could go to full throttle at normal rotation speed and be fine, I would think.

I’m sure there is a procedure for this.

I read the article accompanying the linked video above. If I understand correctly, I think the issue is that the plane could lift off earlier than it should because the airspeed is artificially helped by the power of the towing vehicle; if the plane's throttle is not manipulated and timed correctly, it could lift off prematurely and settle back down with insufficient lift if suddenly flying only under it's own power too early.... something like that. The article made it sound like a fairly delicate dance.

I would also suspect that the plane on trailer is already out of ground effect, or right on the margin anyway.

Not exactly an operation for the newbies.

I read the article accompanying the linked video above. If I understand correctly, I think the issue is that the plane could lift off earlier than it should because the airspeed is artificially helped by the power of the towing vehicle; if the plane's throttle is not manipulated and timed correctly, it could lift off prematurely and settle back down with insufficient lift if suddenly flying only under it's own power too early.... something like that. The article made it sound like a fairly delicate dance.
All of that MAY be true. I will defer to those who have actually done it to explain the process. But that sounds like a plane on a treadmill type of exercise.

Ok, I read the article.

If I understand correctly, I think the issue is that the plane could lift off earlier than it should because the airspeed is artificially helped by the power of the towing vehicle; if the plane's throttle is not manipulated and timed correctly, it could lift off prematurely and settle back down with insufficient lift if suddenly flying only under it's own power too early.... something like that. The article made it sound like a fairly delicate dance.

I think the issue is more along the lines of the propeller producing more acceleration thrust than the acceleration of the tow vehicle. IOW, the airplane trying to overtake the tow vehicle.

But again, I will defer to someone who has actually done it.

Back