PPL and UAS cert. theoretical enforcement action question

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
Trying to weigh the risk of using my UAS cert. at work where I would not be compensated outside of my normal salary. Not sure how this works but not sure I like the idea of risking my PPL for work related drone flying.

So lets say a person has a PPL and UAS cert. The person has an accident or other issue with the drone and some enforcement takes place. Does enforcement risk their PPL cert. as well? Are they linked in anyway?

I believe there was an enforcement against a UAS certificate holder where they also took action against his pilot certificate, but the pilot certificate action was overturned, as it was a separate license.

I'm guessing here but I would imagine they would be separate and that is why they don't simply add it to your manned aircraft pilot certificate.

I don't know the answer, but my UAS certificate is a separate certificate from my PPL. I'd be more inclined to be concerned about that if Remote Pilot was just another category rating on my FAA license.

I'm also curious if non-paid UAS operation would impact your 107 cert. Since you presumably are not conducting commercial use of the drone.

@overdrive148 probably has some opinions to share.

I'm also curious if non-paid UAS operation would impact your 107 cert. Since you presumably are not conducting commercial use of the drone.

So, like, if I fly through the restricted airspace over the White House in a 152 for my own enjoyment, it won’t count against my ATP certificate?

So, like, if I fly through the restricted airspace over the White House in a 152 for my own enjoyment, it won’t count against my ATP certificate?

More like, if I get my drivers license suspended for driving 110mph in a school zone, is the there an impact to my ATP certificate.

More like, if I get my drivers license suspended for driving 110mph in a school zone, is the there an impact to my ATP certificate.
Driving a car and flying an airplane are two different things. Flying a UAS is still flying a UAS.

The FAA has authority to revoke certificates based on any FAR rule. There's no hair-splitting as to whether the particular certificate was used in the violation. You're obliged as a holder of ANY certificate to obey the regs.

I have seen the FAA do an emergency revocation of all the certificates (Pilot, instructor, flight engineer, aircraft dispatcher, and A&P).

Last edited:
Driving a car and flying an airplane are two different things. Flying a UAS is still flying a UAS.
Get busted for drunk driving on a bicycle and you can bet the various entities will go after your pilot certificate and your (automobile) driver's license.

If you're not getting paid, and the drone flight's purpose has nothing to do with the furtherance of a business, then you could be flying as a model aircraft under Public Law 112-95 rather than under part 107?

The risk is pretty low and I have no intention of not following all the rules but stuff happens...

It is commercial because the videos are used for marketing purposes for the college I work for and I am getting paid (Director of IT also manage college AV) but just my normal salary. These flights would take place during work hours. I am just not paid additionally for use of my commercial drone license. My point I guess is what am I risking for something that isn't part of my normal job, at no additional compensation, for a certificate that I hold that my employer did not require or compensate me for but I am the only one on campus currently with a cert.

But flying a drone is not flying a plane. Else every UAS pilot would be jumping in their Cirrus, right?

But flying a drone is not flying a plane. Else every UAS pilot would be jumping in their Cirrus, right?
So we circle back to my first example of flying a plane is flying a plane, because flying a UAS is flying a UAS.

Last edited:
The FAA has authority to revoke certificates based on any FAR rule. There's no hair-splitting as to whether the particular certificate was used in the violation. You're obliged as a holder of ANY certificate to obey the regs.

On any FAR rule? Sure about that?

Cite your reference please.

The risk is pretty low and I have no intention of not following all the rules but stuff happens...

It is commercial because the videos are used for marketing purposes for the college I work for and I am getting paid (Director of IT also manage college AV) but just my normal salary. These flights would take place during work hours. I am just not paid additionally for use of my commercial drone license. My point I guess is what am I risking for something that isn't part of my normal job, at no additional compensation, for a certificate that I hold that my employer did not require or compensate me for but I am the only one on campus currently with a cert.

I guess it depends on your commitment to your job, the value of the drone footage to your employer, the level of enforcement risk such a drone flight would impose, the nature of the flight and whether or not you need some kind of waiver. In my circumstances, I have several drone flights and a LOT of footage of my workplace for promotional stuff and placement in Powerpoints as well as a TV commercial or two, taking off and landing from the helipad (hospital). For me, the risk is very low and the value/risk ratio is very high. I do it with little concern for my PPL.

Last edited:
An ATP rated friend that also flys model jets is part of a group and they are always crossing the T's and dotting the I's because he believes that the FAA would come after his ratings because, as he states, "they know that you know better" and you shouldn't be screwing up.

With my Sport Certificate my license is my medical so any suspension or revocation of my driver's license means my pilot's license is not valid even if it were to be suspended for a lapse of insurance coverage.

An ATP rated friend that also flys model jets is part of a group and they are always crossing the T's and dotting the I's because he believes that the FAA would come after his ratings because, as he states, "they know that you know better" and you shouldn't be screwing up.
f7FdEdG.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but nothing in prior conversations/stories I have heard has made me believe that the FAA would come after your other tickets - unless you did something egregiously out of line and put lives in danger.

I've been flying drones professionally around the public eye for almost 3 years now and no one has asked me for my cert or registration just for flying and I have had no accidents or incidents either. I would fly the sUAS for them as long as you verify it is insured by the company.

The ones I've heard about were the FAA alleging that ratings were fraudulently obtained (or fraudulently obtaining the medical) and the FAA revoked ***ALL*** the certificates. Some of the particularly egregious episodes ended up being poster children in congressional hearings for PBOR.

Back