Lynx NGT-9000 and Foreflight

write-stuff

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
write-stuff
I recently installed the L-3 NGT-9000 transponder and have been testing with it. Still a few glitches. One involves Foreflight.

My iPad recognizes the Lynx wifi signal, but Foreflight doesn't. I'm on the latest version of Foreflight and my iOS is current.

My iPad works fine with my Stratus.

Any suggestions beyond adjusting my flux capacitor or things like that?

Do you have to manually select the connected device type in Foreflight? I'm not a Foreflight user, so not sure how that works.

On your ipad, remove all programs running in background, clear browsing history under Safari and see if that helps.

Since the connection is WiFi, make sure you don't have a VPN running that is blocking the 9000.

I don’t run FF, but our planes have the Lynx. No problems current or past.

To which "Application" does the L-3 Lynx NGT-9000 WiFi Dongle need to be set to work with ForeFlight?
The L-3 Lynx NGT-9000 can be set to communicate on one of two ports; this setting of the "WiFi Dongle Application" is made by your avionics shop using the PC-based setup software. Beginning with ForeFlight Mobile version 8.2, ForeFlight Mobile can communicate with the Lynx using either port.

IIRC, what is required is to connect your PED to the Lynx wifi network, open your EFB program, and select either port 43211 or 4000 in your ADSB config settings. One of those ports should work if you have current EFB software. That's how it works in Droid EFB or FltPlanGo.

Works fine for me. Is it selected as a device in FF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works fine for me. Is it selected as a device in FF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's kind of my question. I don't see in FF where to select. The Lynx wifi shows up in the iPad wifi settings, but I have not found anywhere in FF to select a source.

When I'm on my Stratus wifi, it automatically works in FF.

Bottom right on the foreflight screen select more. Then on the left of the next screen is devices. Should show up there. Hope this helps.

Bottom right on the foreflight screen select more. Then on the left of the next screen is devices. Should show up there. Hope this helps.
Ok, that was useful. I see that Stratus shows up there, but Lynx does not. Problem not solved, but it does help me zero in to the failure in the chain. Thanks!

Ok, that was useful. I see that Stratus shows up there, but Lynx does not. Problem not solved, but it does help me zero in to the failure in the chain. Thanks!

My friend has FF and the 9000 and his works fine.. Have you tried another device? Also when you connect to your 9000 what IP is it being assigned? Make sure it's not set with a static IP for some reason or shows a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address

You can connect more than one device to a wifi network, but you cannot connect one device to more than one wifi network at one time. If you disconnect from the Stratus, and connect to the Lynx wifi, the friendly manual says that FF should identify and connect to your NGT-9000.

In my plane both my passenger and I can connect EFB software to the Lynx wifi network, allowing display of traffic and weather on each device. Nice feature.

Our club plane has the Lynx and once the Lynx is up and the wifi signal going out you just go to settings in the iPad and select that wifi signal. Of course since I've connected before it connects automatically now. But I don't run a Stratus at the same time. Not sure it can connect to both of those at the same time.

Ok, problem resolved. To benefit those who may find themselves with this problem in the future, I missed part of the software setup. Did that last night and FF works perfectly.

Most people have "authorized" shops do installs like this. I did it along with my A&P. It was exceedingly complicated and now I know why the avionics shops charge so much. If you tackle a project like this without having done one before, plan on 20+ hours for the install.

Whey do we need @Martin Pauly? He sound he found the solution in the post above yours. :D
Well, you can never have too much @Martin Pauly, I guess? ;)

Glad he found the solution; I wouldn't have been any help with this one - my Lynx setup was configured by the shop which installed it, and the WIFI connection was never a problem.

- Martin

My friend has FF and the 9000 and his works fine.. Have you tried another device? Also when you connect to your 9000 what IP is it being assigned? Make sure it's not set with a static IP for some reason or shows a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address

if you do find yourself with an IP address what do you change it to? Or what should it be.

Ok, problem resolved. To benefit those who may find themselves with this problem in the future, I missed part of the software setup. Did that last night and FF works perfectly.

Most people have "authorized" shops do installs like this. I did it along with my A&P. It was exceedingly complicated and now I know why the avionics shops charge so much. If you tackle a project like this without having done one before, plan on 20+ hours for the install.

Was the problem on the software for the Lynx or your efb?

we put a Lynx in our plane and my iPad has connected fine before, but lately it has been unable to keep the signal. The Lynx seems like it is functioning properly, as there is almost always a wifi network available

Back