Where to camp?

Tommar98

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tommar98
So after spilling the beans to my wife on massive cost of recent repairs to gear and upgrade of 430 and troubleshooting autopilot she said “well we need to head off somewhere and use this thing!!” I live in Mass. looking for some ideas in southeast, Midwest to fly and camp. Plane has 90 gallons of fuel so we can go longer than bladders. Looking for some suggestions of cool places to fly and spend weekend. Maybe camp at airport or nearby. Your help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at KHSP in Bath County Virginia. Camping on the field, $4 AVGAS, friendly FBO. Also one of the most beautiful airports on the East Coast.

Take a look at KHSP in Bath County Virginia. Camping on the field, $4 AVGAS, friendly FBO. Also one of the most beautiful airports on the East Coast.

tell me more........

I'll pitch Rough River state park in Kentucky (2I3). I heard a bunch of pilots were planning to go there BC.

I wasn't aware camping was permitted there. That's cool, it's a neat spot. Regardless, make sure you have everything you need; it's an expensive and long trip to civilization front the top of the mountain.

Petite Jean state park in AR, they have a runway in the park KMPJ

Moontown in AL, 3M5

Nice drone footage of KHSP:

yeah I actually watched a few videos. looks like there is absolutely nothing anywhere near that airport. so u basically go there only to camp and stay at the airport.......

W99 (Grant County, WV) is another one with camping on the field. They actually have bathrooms and showers with hot water (call ahead and they will turn on the hot water) which is a bonus if traveling with a girlfriend or spouse. The South Branch of the Potomac borders the north of the airport, and is stocked with rainbow and brown trout. We caught our dinner in under 2 hours last fall.

That's it for my fly and camp experience.

Back