GNX 375

I just bought a 32 GB SDHD UHS-I SanDisk SD card. Do have to do anything to format it to fat32, or can I just use the card straight out of the packaging?
Are you Windows or iOS? If Windows, insert the SD card, open the control panel and click on "Create and Format hard disk partitions" (or type in Partitions after pressing the start key). Make sure the partition on the card is Fat32. If it's anything else, delete the volume and create a new volume with Fat32 and select the option for a quick format. Make sure you're doing this to the SD card and not your C: drive. Don't come crying to me if you've deleted Windows and had to reinstall :p

And FWIW - just now, I verified the Partition type on my original Garmin SD card that came with my 375. Sure enough, it's Fat32. But I also discovered it's only 8GB. Who knew...

May not be exactly for what you are looking, but there is a CDI on the map page with navigation active and you can get all that same important data on the Map screen by customizing the four data fields displayed.

That's how I run it, but every pilot for whom I run safety pilot runs their 650 on "default nav" page - it just shows the data and no moving map. Not sure why that's a thing. Still early in my instrument training. Maybe one day I'll ask the left seater under the hood. Or my instructor.. if I ever hire another one. Long story short - fired my old one last week ;)

Are you Windows or iOS? If Windows, insert the SD card, open the control panel and click on "Create and Format hard disk partitions" (or type in Partitions after pressing the start key). Make sure the partition on the card is Fat32.
Thanks. It looks like it's already FAT 32. Perfect.

That's how I run it, but every pilot for whom I run safety pilot runs their 650 on "default nav" page - it just shows the data and no moving map. Not sure why that's a thing. Still early in my instrument training. Maybe one day I'll ask the left seater under the hood. Or my instructor.. if I ever hire another one. Long story short - fired my old one last week ;)

The Default Nav page on most Garmin units (430, 530, etc) holds the most valuable information (provided the proper data fields are selected). If you have it configured properly and know how to use it, it makes it much easier to navigate the data than to follow the CDI or magenta line. By using TRK and DTRK along with XTRK adjusting your wind correction is a no-brainer. If your XTRK is zero (or very close to zero) your CDI will be centered and if you keep your TRK aligned with your DTRK, you will not stray from the centered CDI or magenta line. If your TRK varies by even a single degree from your DTRK, you will see that long before you see your XTRK change and eons before you notice yourself drifting off the CDI or magenta line.

To get the same resolution of error in TRK or XTRK on a moving map you would need to have the map zoomed in to ridiculous levels.

The Default Nav page on most Garmin units (430, 530, etc) holds the most valuable information (provided the proper data fields are selected). If you have it configured properly and know how to use it, it makes it much easier to navigate the data than to follow the CDI or magenta line.
Great. I just wish the 375 had it.

I realized what I wrote earlier (since deleted) may a little confusing. I'll try to make it a little more clear.

The 375 has 5 pieces of information:
1. Navigation (updated every 28 days, $299/yr for USA)
2. Basemap (updated randomly, $100/yr)
3. Terrain (updated randomly, $150/yr)
4. Obstacles (updated every 56 days, $195/yr)
5. SafeTaxi (updated every 56 days, $215/yr)

You can buy a la carte and spend $959/yr ($299+$100+$150+$195+$215) or you can buy their bundle and pay $499/yr. However if you want to take the trouble to evaluate your needs every few months, you can look at it this way:

#1 (Navigation) is mostly used for IFR so if you're going through instrument training then you'll need this. It also has airspace that may be of use for VFR but how often does that change?

#2 (Basemap) is mostly used for VFR but it's updated only every 1-3 years. You can simply buy a 1-time update for $100 whenever that happens rather than paying an annual subscription for something that doesn't change annually.

#3 (Terrain) is mostly used for staying out of the rocks. You can simply buy a 1-time update for $150 whenever rocks move. According to Garmin, the last time this happened was in 2016.

#4 (Obstacles) is mostly used for staying out of antennas and skyscrapers. You can simply opt not to fly near them or buy a 1-time update for $50 whenever antennas and skyscrapers move. According to Garmin, this happens every 56 days.

#5 (SafeTaxi) isn't that great on a 2inch high screen. My personal opinion is that a tablet does a better job at this. Or you can ask for a progressive if at a towered airport. Or you can hope that the airport layout hasn't changed since the last time you bought an update.

... So out of #1 through #5, you can probably get away with only subscribing to #1 for $300/year and do #2-#5 on an as-needed basis.

I'm in the #1 group as well, for my GTN650. For one year I did the full bundle. I didn't get much out of it... went back to pure nav DB.

I just bought a 32 GB SDHD UHS-I SanDisk SD card. Do have to do anything to format it to fat32, or can I just use the card straight out of the packaging?

Others will know. I just use the one that came with the units.

Using the default nav page is more accurate, but isn't as good for situational awareness. In the Tiger, I have a 650 on top of a 430W. The 430 stays in "default nav" and the 650 stays on the map page.

I realized what I wrote earlier (since deleted) may a little confusing. I'll try to make it a little more clear.

The 375 has 5 pieces of information:
1. Navigation (updated every 28 days, $299/yr for USA)
2. Basemap (updated randomly, $100/yr)
3. Terrain (updated randomly, $150/yr)
4. Obstacles (updated every 56 days, $195/yr)
5. SafeTaxi (updated every 56 days, $215/yr)

#4 (Obstacles) is mostly used for staying out of antennas and skyscrapers. You can simply opt not to fly near them or buy a 1-time update for $50 whenever antennas and skyscrapers move. According to Garmin, this happens every 56 days.

... So out of #1 through #5, you can probably get away with only subscribing to #1 for $300/year and do #2-#5 on an as-needed basis.

To me, Obstacles need to be kept up to date to really get the safety benefits of the unit. My flight planning *should* keep me out of them, but the whole point of having them and having them up to date is that if I screw up, it'll warn me.

So, $299 + $195 = $494 which is close enough to $525 that I'd go ahead and take the rest of the stuff anyway. I also never use the "FliteCharts" on the GTN 750, but I have them because the other stuff in the bundle makes the bundle worth purchasing anyway.

Back