Remos GX

Todd82

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd
Anyone got one? Pros? Cons? Saw one for sale and became intrigued but honestly know nothing about them.

Almost bought one of the demos a few years ago to work with a nonprofit school. I’ve got about 5 hrs in one. Nice airplane, wings fold back by removing the huge safety pin. Otherwise, it’s an LSA. Rotax engine. I like it much more than the Cessna 162, as a high wing LSA. I don’t remember who the USA dealer is. But it flies like the LSA it is.

i've got a few hours in a G3 and a few more in a GX.

pros:
- great glide. virtually every landing was power off from abeam the numbers
- useful load is excellent for an LSA. fill the tanks and two 200+ pound adults czn still go up.

cons:
- did not like the hand brake.
- not much room for a flight bag, jacket, etc. IMO this makes it less suitable for longish XC.
- i got really used to the integrated G-300 GPS in the Skycatcher. the Remos i flew had a small GPS attached to the windscreen. hard to see and use.

I saw the one Michael Cooms (sp?) flew around the USA. Very nice looking airplane.

Sorta wish there was more of them around.

Local flight school has a Remos. It rents for $105 an hour wet and the six other 172SP’s rent for about $170 an hour. They got the Remos as a low-cost alternative for price sensitive students. The irony is almost no one rents the Remo’s.

it’s not a very pretty looking aircraft, but it’s probably very practical.

I trained in a Remos GX. Nice flying plane, not one of the faster LSAs, but very predictable, stalls benignly, and generally flies quite nicely. The seats only have 3 positions for adjustment, but that works for most people. The parcel shelf behind the seats is small (even smaller if you have the BRS there) but can hold knick-knacks. Cargo goes in a cubby that's not very wide or tall, but deep (think golf bag). That's behind the pilot's seat. Behind the right seat is the 20 gallon fuel tank. Be sure to use 100LL or non-ethanol fuel. The flight school's plane ended up having some of the fuel tank delaminate by using MOGAS and switched to 100LL to ward that off. Fuel level can be visually checked via a sight tube, but you'll have to mark-off the levels to know how much is left in the tank (there are no printed indicators to fuel level.)

The folding wing capability of the Remos seems like it would come in handy. The flight school never folded the wings, but an owner could if so desired.

I found that the flight school plane would run hot (higher Cylinder Head temps) as the cowling is pretty tight. But that was in SoCal summer days. Most of the time it flew fine.

The aforementioend hand brake was interesting. My Sportcruiser has toe brakes that I like better. But the hand brake was generally a non-issue.

Outward visibility was quite good. Fueling up was always fun as the fuel fill is on the right side fuselage behind the passenger door. So fueling from a fuel jug required using your shoulder as a shelf as you dispensed fuel.

The carbon fiber construction was very strong and the flight school's planes took a lot of abuse from students landing hard and it held up nicely.

Hopefully that helps?

I got my PPL in one. It started to get a little hot (hot day) on initial climb-out with the DPE, but I just lowered the nose and all was fine. Only time it ever did that.

Also, one crashed in Westminster, MD (KDMW) after pilot hadn't made sure rear elevator coupling was secure and it came undone in flight. He made it back to the airport, but was killed when he reduced power near the threshold and the nose dropped.

Our flight school took a hole saw to the back fairing so you could inspect the coupling closely. You can bet the DPE looked it over closely when we went for the check ride. The accident had happened about a week before.

It was a fun plane to fly. Ours had a glass panel and an autopilot.

not much room for a flight bag, jacket, etc. IMO this makes it less suitable for longish XC.

The parcel shelf behind the seats is small (even smaller if you have the BRS there) but can hold knick-knacks. Cargo goes in a cubby that's not very wide or tall, but deep (think golf bag).
Thanks for the input folks especially about baggage room. Just the wife and I but she can't pack lightly. "New" appeals to her more than the 1978 spam can you get for the same money and she's all about a BRS but we don't have Cirrus money so that's why I was intrigued.

What's a real world cruise speed?

Thanks for the input folks especially about baggage room. Just the wife and I but she can't pack lightly. "New" appeals to her more than the 1978 spam can you get for the same money and she's all about a BRS but we don't have Cirrus money so that's why I was intrigued.

Newish, baggage, and BRS <> cheap

A used Cirrus is probably the cheap option for those specs.

Newish, baggage, and BRS <> cheap

A used Cirrus is probably the cheap option for those specs.
Most Cirruses under $200k that I've seen are timed out engine and/or chute. For the cost of the engine and the chute repack alone you can almost get into half decent LSA's of the same vintage.

If it was up to me it would just be a Cherokee 180 with some panel upgrades, but if I want my "copilot" to get in it for trips and stuff I need to compromise a bit. Not much fun to take weekend trips alone.

Remos... Probably around 100 knots at 4.5 gph. Maybe 110 knots if you're at 5,500 RPM on the Rotax 912.

There are other LSA with good payload if desired. My Sportcruiser has a good sized baggage area, but limited weight can be put back there. There are two wing lockers that hold 44 pounds each as well. Just note that with a BRS, you'll lose about 65 pounds of useful load on any LSA.

Back