GNX 375

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
Anyone have one? How do you accomplish the database updates? My co-owner and I are putting one in the plane, and I am not sure how the logistics of that works out. Can each person update it as needed when they go fly, or do we need to rely on one person who makes the trek out there faithfully each month? The web site says that it has Connext. Does that mean we can skip the Flight Stream 510?

Anyone have one? How do you accomplish the database updates? My co-owner and I are putting one in the plane, and I am not sure how the logistics of that works out. Can each person update it as needed when they go fly, or do we need to rely on one person who makes the trek out there faithfully each month? The web site says that it has Connext. Does that mean we can skip the Flight Stream 510?

Since the 375 already has Connext, the only additional feature you get with the $1500 FS510 is wireless database updates.

Updates are done with an SD card and through the Garmin website. With FS510, you could download the updates to your Garmin Piliot App on the iPad and then update the 375 wirelessly from the Garmin Pilot App. Is that worth $1500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congratulations on an excellent upgrade. You will need the FS510 for wireless DB uploading and WiFi radio. The built-in Bluetooth radio allows iPad app connectivity for flight plan transfers and ADB-B In.

Last edited:
Why does it need the FS510 if it can connect to my mobile device via bluetooth?

FS510 is a special SD card format that also has WiFi, which provides the database sync from garmin pilot functionality. If you are happy with pulling the SD card and updating the databases via a computer, you don’t need it, the built in Bluetooth will stream traffic and weather to your portable as-is.

Well, you have two options:

1) Get a FlightStream 510. That allows you to do wireless database updates. My airplane partner and I both use ForeFlight as our primary EFB, so we just share a Garmin Pilot subscription on our respective iPads so that either one of us can do the database updates. Very handy.

2) Both of you have your own SD cards. Unlike certain other vendors, Garmin ties their database updates to the unit you're updating rather than an account and how many times you download it. So, I think you should *both* be able to download the same updates if necessary and not get in each other's way. This method is a little more clunky than the wireless updates, but it should work and will save you a bit of money.

Why does it need the FS510 if it can connect to my mobile device via bluetooth?

FS510 also has WiFi, which is what is used for the Database Concierge. Bluetooth transfer of all that data would take forever.

Well, you have two options:

1) Get a FlightStream 510. That allows you to do wireless database updates. My airplane partner and I both use ForeFlight as our primary EFB, so we just share a Garmin Pilot subscription on our respective iPads so that either one of us can do the database updates. Very handy.

2) Both of you have your own SD cards. Unlike certain other vendors, Garmin ties their database updates to the unit you're updating rather than an account and how many times you download it. So, I think you should *both* be able to download the same updates if necessary and not get in each other's way. This method is a little more clunky than the wireless updates, but it should work and will save you a bit of money.

FS510 also has WiFi, which is what is used for the Database Concierge. Bluetooth transfer of all that data would take forever.

Thanks. That answered the questions that I had.

I'd like to keep up the questions, one more cycle.

I haven't any interest in spending another AMU just to enable updating. The unit has to be updatable without blowing more money.

Do we download updates to our laptop and use the Garmin SD adapter to blow over the card with new data?

Do we download updates to our laptop and use the Garmin SD adapter to blow over the card with new data?

Yes.
I've got one...
I pop out the SD card and take it home.
I acquire the update through flygarmin.com, and push it to the card with an SD adaptor and an app that garmin will make you download to do this.
Then I go out to the plane and pop 'er back in. (Be sure to do this before powering up the 375.)
Then good to go.

Yes.
I've got one...
I acquire the update through flygarmin.com, and push it to the card with an SD adaptor and an app that garmin will make you download to do this.
Then I go out to the plane and pop 'er back in. (Be sure to do this before powering up the 375.)
Then good to go.

Thank you very much, Kath.

That was clear and easy to understand. Even I got it!! WOOO!

Yes.
I've got one...
Then good to go.
You don't have to leave it in, do you? After it's done updating, you can pop the card back out?

You don't have to leave it in, do you? After it's done updating, you can pop the card back out?
From the laptop? Yes, you can remove the SD card from the laptop as soon as the update is done, which is very quick.

Then put the card in a very very very safe place. :)

From the laptop? Yes, you can remove the SD card from the laptop as soon as the update is done, which is very quick.

Then put the card in a very very very safe place. :)
I meant the 375. Does the SD card need to stay in the 375 for flight? I thought perhaps the 375 copies the update from the SD card to internal memory and once that's done, the SD card does not need to stay.

I meant the 375. Does the SD card need to stay in the 375 for flight? I thought perhaps the 375 copies the update from the SD card to internal memory and once that's done, the SD card does not need to stay.
Ah! I think it does not need to stay in the 375, but I am only saying this because of one time I took it out to update it at home, and forgot to stick it back in before starting up the plane, and the 375 started up just fine (didn't yell "where's my card??" or anything like that). But that was just one time, and I remembered after just a minute and put the card in...
I'm still learning this techie stuff m'self. :)

Ah! I think it does not need to stay in the 375, but I am only saying this because of one time I took it out to update it at home, and forgot to stick it back in before starting up the plane, and the 375 started up just fine (didn't yell "where's my card??" or anything like that). But that was just one time, and I remembered after just a minute and put the card in...
I'm still learning this techie stuff m'self. :)

And for what it's worth, anyone considering a different Garmin device should check on that device specifically. Some units and some databases do require the card. For example, GNS and G1000 units store the nav data to internal memory, but things like obstacles are read directly from the card.

If you Google around, you can usually find instructions for creating an identical card for a particular unit so that you can still just swap them out at the right time of month, rather than taking the one card home and possibly forgetting it for your next flight.

Unlike those $200 nuggets for the GNS, the GTN/GTX use SD cards that can be read with any SD reader.

I couldn't find the cost associated with the database updates and/or subscriptions on the Garmin site. If, by chance, I end up w/ a GPS175, how much does it cost to keep it current and useful?

The nav database only for US is $299/yr for the GNS430. Don't know if it's different for other navs. A lot cheaper than Jepp, which was over $300 for the Eastern US only.

Database updates are easy enough without shelling out for FS510. Just take your computer to the plane, tether it to your phone, hook up the SD reader, pop out the card and do the update. It takes maybe 3 minutes for the GTN and 5-8 for the GNS, though you need a different reader for that.

Yes, and thank you. Not sure why I couldn't find it..all I had come across were instructions to log into my account, chose the device I owned, and then the subscription I wished to purchase to see the price.

Ok.. now that I've seen the pricing... do all manufacturers of panel gps navigators approach data updates with similar price structures? Probably showing my ignorance, but virtually all of the same data is available free directly from the faa, or from within FltPlan Go, or for a lot less through iFlyGPS, or even ForeFlight...why is it so expensive? I know, I know....because TSO for certified aircraft, IFR flight... but you're already paying a premium for those things when you buy the box. Is there really a need for Garmin to charge hundreds of dollars, at MINIMUM, for data updates because they put it in a proprietary format?

The usual comments stating "If you don't have the money, you shouldn't own an airplane or fly...this is only for rich people who like to spend money" are unhelpful, inaccurate, and false; to those who wish to make them, trust that I heard you twice the first time. Additionally, I've got the money for anything necessary... my questions are IS this what it costs to stay current regardless of whose navigator you purchase, and WHY is it necessary for the data subscriptions to cost as much as they do?

Ok.. now that I've seen the pricing... do all manufacturers of panel gps navigators approach data updates with similar price structures? Probably showing my ignorance, but virtually all of the same data is available free directly from the faa, or from within FltPlan Go, or for a lot less through iFlyGPS, or even ForeFlight...why is it so expensive? I know, I know....because TSO for certified aircraft, IFR flight... but you're already paying a premium for those things when you buy the box. Is there really a need for Garmin to charge hundreds of dollars, at MINIMUM, for data updates because they put it in a proprietary format?

Well, to be clear, most manufacturers don't sell the data for their own products, they just relied on Jeppesen for that. One other exception was BendixKing, who apparently decided that Jeppesen wasn't enough of a pain in the ass, so they did their own.

Garmin's prices have actually put some significant downward pressure on the market, and the trend continues. This year, I paid about $100 less for my data subscription than last year, even though we added charts to the subscription.

As for why it's so expensive: Well, you have to develop software to convert the FAA's data in the format needed by the navigator... And then you have to pay for liability insurance. The nav data on an IFR GPS is pretty much expected to be perfect. All of those portables you mentioned can get away with being a bit less stringent about their processes and don't have the liability exposure because that expectation isn't necessarily there for the portable device.

Congratulations on an excellent upgrade.

It looks like our AI is starting to fail. So, I'm pretty sure 2 G5s will be going in, too. Looking forward to that. Should make our machine a pretty capable IFR platform.

Yes, and thank you. Not sure why I couldn't find it..all I had come across were instructions to log into my account, chose the device I owned, and then the subscription I wished to purchase to see the price.

The usual comments stating "If you don't have the money, you shouldn't own an airplane or fly...this is only for rich people who like to spend money" are unhelpful, inaccurate, and false; to those who wish to make them, trust that I heard you twice the first time. Additionally, I've got the money for anything necessary... my questions are IS this what it costs to stay current regardless of whose navigator you purchase, and WHY is it necessary for the data subscriptions to cost as much as they do?

You should see the bills for running a business jet. They'd make your eyes water.

It took a long time to get them installed. We got pushed back twice, and then the shop had labor issues with Covid. I guess they couldn’t get workers to come in. It was in the shop from mid March until July 1. And that was after being pushed back from October, to November, and then March.

We didn’t need the extra expense of the GI 275, and they only have a one hour back up battery as an add on, whereas the G5’s have four hour standard back up.

Attitude and HSI I suppose?

Went flying with my CFII the other night with the new set up. I hadn't flown since March, and was not too familiar with the G5s and the GNX 375, but was able to hand fly GPS approaches and nail them to well within ACS standards. It certainly is a nice, economical (relatively) combo. The GNX is so much more user friendly than I recall the Garmin 430 was that was installed in the DA-20 I learned to fly in.

I had one installed in January. While it was in the shop, I bought a 32GB SD card, thinking I needed to keep one in the unit. I wanted a spare, so I could swap cards for an update, take the card with the expired databases home and use that for the next cycle - essentially leap frogging cards. As someone had mentioned, and little did I know at the time, the 375 reads the card and saves it to internal memory.

So, what you could do - use the card that comes with your 375. Download updates at home, bring the card with you to the plane, pop it in, power up the 375z the 375 will store the updated database, power off the unit, pull the card and it's ready to repeat the dance in 28 days.

Side note- databases expire next Wednesday. The next cycle is available to download now. You can load it on the 375 and it will use the current database until the 15th. Fast forward to the 16th, it will switch over to the next cycle you loaded up "last week." They've really made this super easy.

As far as databases- I pay $524 a year ($25 of which is for my frequency database for my GTR 225 Com). I believe I have the "north american" bundle. I thought it was the cheapest option. Someone mentioned $299? Maybe I have to sift through the options (or maybe they have cheaper databases for the 430?).

Additional note - you will love the 375! Super easy to use and much cheaper than, say, GNS 625 and GTX 345, combo which would be the functional equivalent. So far (and I'm only about half way through my IR training), the only difference other than screen size, is the 375 doesn't have the "default nav" page, which shows you our course deviation, distance to way point, ground speed, etc. I can't say I miss it, since I have all that displayed on my iPad. And even without an iPad, between my G5 HSI and the "4 corner" configurable data fields, I have all the information I need. Very happy IR student here and my VFR partners love it to.

I had one installed in January. While it was in the shop, I bought a 32GB SD card, thinking I needed to keep one in the unit. I wanted a spare, so I could swap cards for an update, take the card with the expired databases home and use that for the next cycle - essentially leap frogging cards. As someone had mentioned, and little did I know at the time, the 375 reads the card and saves it to internal memory.

So, what you could do - use the card that comes with your 375. Download updates at home, bring the card with you to the plane, pop it in, power up the 375z the 375 will store the updated database, power off the unit, pull the card and it's ready to repeat the dance in 28 days.

Thanks. I ordered my own SD card and reader so that I can download the database and take it out there myself when I go flying in case my co-owner hasn't update the database yet when I want to go.

thought it was the cheapest option. Someone mentioned $299? Maybe I have to sift through the options
I realized what I wrote earlier (since deleted) may a little confusing. I'll try to make it a little more clear.

The 375 has 5 pieces of information:
1. Navigation (updated every 28 days, $299/yr for USA)
2. Basemap (updated randomly, $100/yr)
3. Terrain (updated randomly, $150/yr)
4. Obstacles (updated every 56 days, $195/yr)
5. SafeTaxi (updated every 56 days, $215/yr)

You can buy a la carte and spend $959/yr ($299+$100+$150+$195+$215) or you can buy their bundle and pay $499/yr. However if you want to take the trouble to evaluate your needs every few months, you can look at it this way:

#1 (Navigation) is mostly used for IFR so if you're going through instrument training then you'll need this. It also has airspace that may be of use for VFR but how often does that change?

#2 (Basemap) is mostly used for VFR but it's updated only every 1-3 years. You can simply buy a 1-time update for $100 whenever that happens rather than paying an annual subscription for something that doesn't change annually.

#3 (Terrain) is mostly used for staying out of the rocks. You can simply buy a 1-time update for $150 whenever rocks move. According to Garmin, the last time this happened was in 2016.

#4 (Obstacles) is mostly used for staying out of antennas and skyscrapers. You can simply opt not to fly near them or buy a 1-time update for $50 whenever antennas and skyscrapers move. According to Garmin, this happens every 56 days.

#5 (SafeTaxi) isn't that great on a 2inch high screen. My personal opinion is that a tablet does a better job at this. Or you can ask for a progressive if at a towered airport. Or you can hope that the airport layout hasn't changed since the last time you bought an update.

... So out of #1 through #5, you can probably get away with only subscribing to #1 for $300/year and do #2-#5 on an as-needed basis.

#1 above is what we do with the GNX 375. Keep the plane IFR legal with navigation maps updated every 28 days. Beyond that will update the Obstacles maybe occasionally. I have and use ForeFlight for safe taxi and not real worried about rocks moving enough to matter.

The only item you MUST have to fly IFR is #1, the nav data. The others can be updated on a one-time basis if you believe the safety enhancement is beneficial enough to justify the expense. None of them is required or necessary to keep you separated from terrain while IFR, although they may be nice to have for VFR flight or general situational awareness.

Personally, I update the navdata every 28 days to keep it current for IFR. The terrain and obstacle data gets updated every couple of years.

the only difference other than screen size, is the 375 doesn't have the "default nav" page, which shows you our course deviation, distance to way point, ground speed, etc.

May not be exactly for what you are looking, but there is a CDI on the map page with navigation active and you can get all that same important data on the Map screen by customizing the four data fields displayed.

20200709_234832.jpg

Absolutely not. I use a cheap one from Best Buy

I just bought a 32 GB SDHD UHS-I SanDisk SD card. Do have to do anything to format it to fat32, or can I just use the card straight out of the packaging?

Back