Turbulence

Daz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Daz
Guys,

Having recently got my ticket, I’m trying to integrate myself slowly into IMC conditions. I’ve been going up on days with high ceilings (6000+) and just climbing into them, but always seem to encounter turbulence which is unnerving and I usually end up requesting a descent after 2 mins as I don’t know what the tops are. What do pilots usually do if they encounter a turbulent cumulus overcast layer where you cannot determine the tops? Trying to establish a sensible next move........

D

Summertime cumulus are turbulent...it the updrafts that form them, and somewhere between the updrafts there are always downdrafts. I always found that my passengers preferred bumps below the clouds where they could see that they were right side up instead of in the clouds where they can’t determine orientation.

Congrats on the instrument rating...unfortunately there are times when taking full advantage of it isn’t the best idea, as you’re finding.

Summertime cumulus are turbulent...it the updrafts that form them, and somewhere between the updrafts there are always downdrafts. I always found that my passengers preferred bumps below the clouds where they could see that they were right side up instead of in the clouds where they can’t determine orientation.

Congrats on the instrument rating...unfortunately there are times when taking full advantage of it isn’t the best idea, as you’re finding.

Thanks! Good to know on the summertime cumulus. I guess I just wait for fall and look forward to battling the wintertime icing instead ;-). Sigh.............

I like this instructor's disposition as he's teaching a student to fly in some pretty serious bumps. It gets good about two minutes into the flight:

I've never been fond of the bumps.

Some thoughts (in no particular order):

For some people, part of the problem is the unknown. The more familar you get with the bumps, where they are, when they happen, the less anxious and less uncomfortable you might become.

Tolerance of turbulence can be built up ... for some (most?) people. At least some tolerance.

Don't launch into turbulence on a full stomach or an empty stomach.

How are you in the bumps while VFR?

What is it about turbulence that scares people? Fear of wings breaking off? Getting motion sick? Losing orientation? Losing control? Or is it just uncomfortable

Planes, when flown competently, are very safe.. and the number of planes losing wings or otherwise breaking up in flight is extremely low

But yes, I tend to do my best to avoid cumulous.. even the large commercial jets can get a good walopping

What is it about turbulence that scares people?

If I'm anticipating the bumps it's much less of a concern and more of an annoyance. I just slow down and let it rock & roll along until I've arrived where I'm going or had enough that I want to land and stand still for a few minutes. :D

Usually once I get up high enough there is some smoother air to be found ... but when coming back down and just about pattern altitude it gets to be time to go to work again and fly the airplane. I don't have an autopilot and this aircraft has neutral stability so you have to fly it all the time. After a couple of hours of bumping around I'm ready for a break.

What airplane do you fly. I have bounced around in my Little rag wing Tail dragged for years and got used to it a little, but once I got in a heavier plane, it was a relief by comparison. Sort f like banging your head against the wall because it feels good when you quit. Even a slightly heavier plane will feel like an improvement.

Failing that, just keep flying and you will get used to it.

Well I started this post with full intention of posting a video of this turbulencephobe on approach in a nasty turbulent situation and got it on the ground. Point being if I can get used to turbulence anyone can, but when I post the video it only posts as a photo.

Last edited:
Not all summer weather is turbulent. Remember your written- Low stratus stable air low vis and rain. Have to wait for right weather to find it. But it’s out there.
I think the best advise id have is get up with your CFI in some actual.
I was very fortunate that I had a CFI that would call me to fly on crappy days just to get the IMC in. We keep telling me that learning in the crud will save your life one day. My goto safety pilot is IFR rating and has a lot more hours then me in the muck as well.
I recently had a longer XC that I launched in some building cumulus. I was able to see and penetrate the smaller ones and the real tall ones I asked for some course deviations. Some of those big ones will really give you some pause.
so you have any automation? While it’s not good to always rely on an autopilot- it can be a life saver when you start getting task saturated.

Turbulence never bothered me. But extended time in cumulus is not fun nor prudent in GA piston aircraft, even if IFR capable. Boeings and Airbuses don’t hang out in cumulus for extended periods, so Cessna/Pipers/Beech etc probably shouldn’t. I avoid If possible, even on an IFR flight plan. I’m also a claims investigator so I see the smoking craters of the bold and young.

I am VFR and I do not like bumping around for no reason , what has worked for me thus far is learning where I can expect the bumps. When I expect it, it’s less uncomfortable. I have been trying to predict this for a while now and I usually go by winds aloft at various level when I am planning the flight, then at altitude , I compare the wind aloft at various levels and compare that with the surface winds. For example, a few days back I was flying at 2500, winds were 320 @21 , surface winds were 180 @8, so I knew when it cross that layer of changing winds, it would be bumpy. Similar example, surface winds 12G19 @170 and wind aloft are lined up ain’t same direction, I can more or less be sure there won’t be much bumps , apart from mechanical turbulence over the city. Going into the clouds or crossing a front is usually bumpy, I have done it a few times in my training and I am not well versed enough to predict those

Guys,

Having recently got my ticket, I’m trying to integrate myself slowly into IMC conditions. I’ve been going up on days with high ceilings (6000+) and just climbing into them, but always seem to encounter turbulence which is unnerving and I usually end up requesting a descent after 2 mins as I don’t know what the tops are. What do pilots usually do if they encounter a turbulent cumulus overcast layer where you cannot determine the tops? Trying to establish a sensible next move........

D

I personally don’t just enter into cumulous clouds without having a good idea what their heights might be or how long I’ll be in them. It’s usually a transitional phase, not an unknown. So, if I don’t have a clue about the height and I’m in a low performance airplane, I’d rather not get stuck in them with MEA issues below them or service ceiling issues above them. Knowing types of clouds and what is associated with them is something you’ll continue to learn and respect and you may never grow found of the bumps of a summer cumulous. Your body may adapt to some degree, but you may never like them.

When flying passengers for a living the idea is to get out of the cumulus (bumps) soon. When possible ask for vectors around build ups. Passengers don’t care much for it.

Last edited:
Cumulus clouds are bumpy. Towering cumulus clouds can be dangerous. Nothing wrong with flying through cumulus clouds that aren't towering, or aren't producing rain if you don't know if they're towering, but you'll get some bumps.

A better plan is to climb through the cumulus to the smoother air above. If you don't know the tops, ask ATC for a tops report then request an altitude above them.

What is it about turbulence that scares people? Fear of wings breaking off? Getting motion sick? Losing orientation? Losing control? Or is it just uncomfortable

Planes, when flown competently, are very safe.. and the number of planes losing wings or otherwise breaking up in flight is extremely low

But yes, I tend to do my best to avoid cumulous.. even the large commercial jets can get a good walopping

I saw a post from a CFI (don’t remember what site, it was a few years ago) regarding a student who was scared of turbulence. The CFI velcroed a G meter to the panel and showed the student that what he was perceiving as very uncomfortable, dangerous turbulence was less than 2G. The student then understood that it was well within the plane’s limits and he was fine after that.

Cumulus clouds are bumpy. Towering cumulus clouds can be dangerous. Nothing wrong with flying through cumulus clouds that aren't towering, or aren't producing rain if you don't know if they're towering, but you'll get some bumps.

A better plan is to climb through the cumulus to the smoother air above. If you don't know the tops, ask ATC for a tops report then request an altitude above them.

Yes. This. ^^^^^ On many summer days you will not be able to out climb all of the scattered or broken cumulus. In that case I will ask for deviations around the big buildups if possible. Normally, it's more comfortable to fly above or below the cloud layer, or between layers. On top is best if practical. But if cumulus is building, you don't want to get swallowed up on top, as it will be very uncomfortable in the tops, you can't see anything, and there is the bonus of icing even in summer. With any chance of embedded scattered weather it's better to see with your eyes where the weather is. From above or below. Your weather briefing should include learning forecasted tops along your route of flight. That will help you file the correct altitude before getting in the system.

Back