Water leaking from panel after heavy rain

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
2E368788-117B-42D0-BEAD-A5DC85369923.jpeg
Plane 182H
Normally hangared. Today was left outside of hangar by shop after cowl flap repair as I was planning on flying this evening. Well it rained hard. Like 2-3” of rain. Got to field to go flying and noted a puddle under the plane. Water was dripping out of a small vent hole. Blunt also from this access panel. I opened it up to really let the water pour out. And it did. Left open and hangared the plane for the night.

The rivet seams are not watertight. If water poured out of the inspection cover, your drip holes are clogged and need to be cleaned out. Especially the one at the tailcone. Water trapped here will affect W&B

I had this after 4" rain outside at Flagstaff. Water got into radios. Entry point was around windshield. Cure was a bead of clear silicon around edge of windshield.

Last edited:
Left open and hangared the plane for the night.
Living in SE AK, I feel your pain. I've tied down outside for over 20 years. My plane does not leak but I have spent many hours making sure it's as water tight as I can make it. I hate the condensation that comes from humidity and temperature changes.

Good luck sealing things up.

I small bead of silicone at the top windshield strip and inboard wing root fairings usually seals it up. Use masking tape to define the bead width, apply silicone, smooth down with a wet finger, pull the tapes. Keep the beads as narrow as you can because dust will stick to the silicone and turn it gray. I always clean/dry the seams with alcohol and compressed air to make sure I'll get a good bond.

Back