Spondylolisthesis

A

Anon

Hello everyone. I am unfortunately having to report something to the FAA on the Mental Disorder side of things, which is going to cause them to also see a diagnosis of spondylolisthesis, which is basically where a vertebrate is misaligned. I forgot I even had this, as I’ve had no pain or range of motion issues since I was diagnosed (only prescribed PT and core exercises). Is the FAA likely to make A mountain out of a mole hill on this?

I don't think that falls into the mental disorder. You're talking about misalignment of a vertebra bone, right?

http://faa.gov/about/office_org/hea...guide/app_process/exam_tech/item43/amd/spine/

Looks like it requires a deferral and current report from the treating doctor, but is issuable. Check with your AME on what the report should state and when it becomes non-issuable. Any permanent damage has to be evaluated.

Is Basicmed an option for you? Flight restrictions are less than 6000 lbs gross, <=5 passengers, below 18,000, less than 250k? Good for 4 years and requires that you have a physical with your doctor.

I don't think that falls into the mental disorder. You're talking about misalignment of a vertebra bone, right?

http://faa.gov/about/office_org/hea...guide/app_process/exam_tech/item43/amd/spine/

Looks like it requires a deferral and current report from the treating doctor, but is issuable. Check with your AME on what the report should state and when it becomes non-issuable. Any permanent damage has to be evaluated.

Is Basicmed an option for you? Flight restrictions are less than 6000 lbs gross, <=5 passengers, below 18,000, less than 250k? Good for 4 years and requires that you have a physical with your doctor.

Thanks. This is my first medical, so I can’t do BasicMed yet. I wouldn’t have even mentioned it, but I’m one of the lucky ones that got caught up in the ADHD fad years ago, so I have to get deferred anyways. They’ll see it in my history.

Highly recommend consulting with a knowledgeable AME prior to your medical. The consult makes sure that you understand what the FAA is going to require of you. A lot of people like to get all the testing done, ensure they pass it and then submit the tests with the medical. It makes the process run faster when they get the deferred medical and already have the medical data showing that you're good. But your AME has to know what the FAA is going to ask for.

Agree with above. Go visit an AME well versed in orthological and spinal Issues as well as ADHD and do a CONSULT visit to see what you need to obtain from what doctors to get the ducks marching in the same row. Ask him to be specific so you get all the proper documentation the first time. Also ask him/her if they are willing to be your coach and later advocate during the process. If they say unwilling, then seek out a better AME.

Then get busy being examined by those doctors who will document your case.

Once documentation in hand, provide a copy to your AME coach to see if what the treating doctor wrote will meet the standards and not require sending to the small number overworked doctors in OKC. Can the submission go through at the lower reviewer level.

If the AME says “it won’t” then find out what is needed and get the doctor to fix the letter.

In the end, the objective is to get all that is required in the proper wording, format, etc so once submitted to the FAA, there isn’t any delays because what was written isn’t quite what the FAA wanted to read. Causing them to send you a info demand letter with a super short deadline and instructions saying “go chase your tail”.

Whatever the mental disorder is is most likely a bigger issue that the Spondylolisthesis.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back