Why are people still buying stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m referring more to the extra $600 a week for unemployment.

but do you really believe that the government isn’t going to recoup that money at a later date?

Bottom line for me, though, is that regardless of how much money is poured into the economy, any incentive not to go back to work will delay recovery.
I don't know the taxable status of that extra unemployment money, hence my question. I don't believe the government will recoup the money due to deficit spending, but that is a whole 'nother discussion, and probably not for this board.

How do you define "recovery"? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but consider that this thread started because people noted there's a lot people buying stuff while we are supposed to be in a recession, and the stock market seems to be fairly high. Based on those measures, I wonder if things haven't already recovered on a macro scale. Do you consider number of unemployment claims decreasing to be recovery?

I'll be sure to update my books at work to remove vehicles and other depreciating assets since they "aren't assets", lol.
Or you can trade your vehicles that depreciate for vehicles that don't depreciate. ;)

I've been spending more money since these shenanigans started, but it's all on been on gas and flight lessons. :D I am still working normal hours, and haven't got any government money (not even that $1200 we were promised). If I were on unemployment instead of working, I'd be making twice as much as I am making now.

Also, I've been going to church, work, flight lessons, and even travelled a few places, too. I don't make a habit of coughing or sneezing on people, though, so I highly doubt I am contributing to the spread. Which, state-wide, has had declining numbers so far even after everything is starting to open up. I am not sure why people are still freaked out about this. Last I saw, which admittedly was a while ago, it is not as transmissible as it was assumed to be, and not as deadly. I am all for people being hygienic but I don't care for people being hysterical.

How do those people know they didn't have it, but were diagnosed as being positive? This sounds like the story that was floating around about the MD who gave hydroxychloroquine to all his patients and they all recovered the next day. someone on the Blue Board claimed they knew the doctor. That same "doctor" must have practices all over, since the same story is "sourced" from different cities;)

Well, they weren't even tested for it, but marked as positive anyway. One case, cut on the hand requiring stitches. Discharge papers said reason for visit: COVID. Except he was never tested, yet he was thrown into the pile of positives.
Another case: Death from (more or less) old age. Hospital marked it down as a COVID death. Family had autopsy done, and the autopsy showed it wasn't. These aren't cases pulled from the news, these are people I know (well, one I knew personally, the other was a brother of someone I know.)

I don't watch Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc...nice try though.

Or you can trade your vehicles that depreciate for vehicles that don't depreciate. ;)
Doesn't make one an asset more than the other. One is just fully depreciated to market. Both of my personal vehicles are 12-yr old trucks which were paid in full 7 years ago. They hold their value pretty well these days.

People are stupid for buying stuff?
In general people are stupid. People on unemployment buying stuff are Certainly stupid.

I bought an airplane. I am stupid.

Well, they weren't even tested for it, but marked as positive anyway. One case, cut on the hand requiring stitches. Discharge papers said reason for visit: COVID. Except he was never tested, yet he was thrown into the pile of positives.
Another case: Death from (more or less) old age. Hospital marked it down as a COVID death. Family had autopsy done, and the autopsy showed it wasn't. These aren't cases pulled from the news, these are people I know (well, one I knew personally, the other was a brother of someone I know.)

I don't watch Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc...nice try though.
Well, you and FOX are copying it from someplace, since Fox has been claiming the same things, sometimes word-for word.

How do you define "recovery"? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but consider that this thread started because people noted there's a lot people buying stuff while we are supposed to be in a recession, and the stock market seems to be fairly high. Based on those measures, I wonder if things haven't already recovered on a macro scale. Do you consider number of unemployment claims decreasing to be recovery?

I've been questioning that some too.

But a good kind of stupid

(can I post that within the rules of conduct?)

Reported. :D

Well, you and FOX are copying it from someplace, since Fox has been claiming the same things, sometimes word-for word.

I'm not copying it from anywhere. These are people I know. Well, knew since it was one of my best friends grandmother than passed away. I suppose you'll just claim I'm a liar since it doesn't fit your narrative.

I'm not copying it from anywhere. These are people I know. Well, knew since it was one of my best friends grandmother than passed away. I suppose you'll just claim I'm a liar since it doesn't fit your narrative.
Gentlemen...be careful ..The Ted is watching

When I hear the same stories from different places, with only the names changing, I do get suspicious. I hear, almost word-for-word, the same things from Fox, and other places on the internet, so it does dilute what you say. Maybe Breightbart is the source.

When I hear the same stories from different places, with only the names changing, I do get suspicious. I hear, almost word-for-word, the same things from Fox, and other places on the internet, so it does dilute what you say. Maybe Breightbart is the source.

Yeah, Breitbart caused the death of my friends grandmother (who I also knew personally) for a news story. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Just call me a liar and get it over with.

It's funny how most people on here pick a moderator whose fault everything is. :)

It works in a big family, too. :) I've come home from work and been blamed (by the ones under 10...) for stuff that happened while I was gone. If only I knew how I was 30 miles from myself so I could do it on purpose!

Reactions: Ted
Yeah, Breitbart caused the death of my friends grandmother (who I also knew personally) for a news story. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Nope. Just when the same stories circulate , with only the names changed, it becomes a bit incredulous.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...are-hospitals-inflating-covid-19-death-count/
https://www.clickondetroit.com/heal...als-reporting-all-deaths-as-covid-19-related/
https://www.9news.com/article/news/...icial/73-bf02452f-4615-4efe-9413-a4826a8105b2

Plus all the facebook allegations

I don't know the taxable status of that extra unemployment money, hence my question. I don't believe the government will recoup the money due to deficit spending, but that is a whole 'nother discussion, and probably not for this board.

If the government is “giving” people money specifically for the purpose of stimulating the economy (which in my mind is what the extra $600 a week does) the economy is not self-sustaining. And while there will always be some level of unemployment, I don’t think 10 or 11% is a “recovered” economy.

I'm paying off the house, ETD 3 months from now. Why 3 months and not pay it off today? Because I'm stashing cash in savings for the anticipated and expected crash, which I forecast to be either 4Q this year or 1Q next year. After 3.5 yrs of part-time teaching, having a full-time, well paying gig, replenishing the savings and adding more is highest priority. As a contractor to the Feds, I'm considered essential but I don't bet on anything these days.

Purchases since this started? Nothing over $150. Annual on the cherokee comes up this month, so that's probably going to be the big purchase for the year. Had already decided to get a car instead of the GPS for the cherokee. Now I've decided to hold off on the car until next year. We'll see what happens.

If the government is “giving” people money specifically for the purpose of stimulating the economy (which in my mind is what the extra $600 a week does) the economy is not self-sustaining. And while there will always be some level of unemployment, I don’t think 10 or 11% is a “recovered” economy.
That's a good answer. I only wonder how much of that 10-11% unemployment is due to companies letting the government pay their employees. As others have noted, some people are getting more take-home pay from the combined unemployment, so they are getting a paid vacation without using their vacation time. Likewise, the companies reduce their payroll for a short time with no consequences.

I note that some resort hotels (post 58), are crowded, but business travel is down, and the airlines seem to be down, too, so not all of that 10-11% is from companies taking advantage of free money. It's complicated.

I'm paying off the house, ETD 3 months from now. Why 3 months and not pay it off today? Because I'm stashing cash in savings for the anticipated and expected crash, which I forecast to be either 4Q this year or 1Q next year. After 3.5 yrs of part-time teaching, having a full-time, well paying gig, replenishing the savings and adding more is highest priority. As a contractor to the Feds, I'm considered essential but I don't bet on anything these days.

Purchases since this started? Nothing over $150. Annual on the cherokee comes up this month, so that's probably going to be the big purchase for the year. Had already decided to get a car instead of the GPS for the cherokee. Now I've decided to hold off on the car until next year. We'll see what happens.

I think you're doing the right thing, and you should convert that Cherokee to cash. How much do you want for it?

Too bad Fox and friends say the same points as you have.

I've never watched Fox and Friends. What's your point?

I know for a fact that there are cases where it was reported incorrectly - whether an outright lie or a mistake is up for investigation/debate. But when I know there are multiple cases where it is blatantly wrong because I personally know the family, not just some hearsay from some place I've never been, why should I believe all the other numbers?

My guess is September/October for the economic downturn. I think it's pretty telling that the banks are aggressively changing their lending requirements. This indicates they believe home prices are going to drop substantially and they want security. Around that time the unemployment will have run out, and the mortgages in forbearance will start being a major issue leading to more properties on the market.

I think you're doing the right thing, and you should convert that Cherokee to cash. How much do you want for it?
I like my cherokee. Even without a job, I could (kinda) afford it. Same with the house. I bought well under what I could qualify for, because I knew I wouldn't always have a full-time job. Parent taught me to 1) pay cash (except for the house) and 2) live under your means. Has kept me out of trouble for decades.

Part of the reason to stash the cash...probably 1Q or 2Q 2021 I expect a crash and real-estate will be a good bargain again. I'll get out of this house, which is far too big (I bought knowing my parents would spend the summers to get out of the Phoenix heat). Even with the market in the dumps, I'll still clear 3x-4x what I paid for it. Already looking for either land or land w/ house in south (SW of Pueblo) or north central Colorado (Granby area) that's near an airport. Not interested in an airpark.

I've never watched Fox and Friends. What's your point?

I know for a fact that there are cases where it was reported incorrectly - whether an outright lie or a mistake is up for investigation/debate. But when I know there are multiple cases where it is blatantly wrong because I personally know the family, not just some hearsay from some place I've never been, why should I believe all the other numbers?
Well, you believe it to be true. That doesn't make it so.

Well, you believe it to be true. That doesn't make it so.

Fact: The hospital reported it as a COVID death.
Fact: The autopsy showed it wasn't.

Fact: Patient went in to get stitches for a laceration.
Fact: Patient was listed as COVID being the reason for admission.

What part of that is a belief? Facts aren't beliefs. Facts are facts.

The fact is the numbers are off by at least two. That's a fact, and cannot be debated, or dismissed. So why should I trust the other numbers?

Fact: The hospital reported it as a COVID death.
Fact: The autopsy showed it wasn't.

Fact: Patient went in to get stitches for a laceration.
Fact: Patient was admitted as COVID being the reason.

What part of that is a belief? Facts aren't beliefs. Facts are facts.
You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. You only have hear-say. Someone told you, so you believe it.

If you're going to sell, now is a good time. My son and his wife just moved 3 doors down... got essentially the same house, with all the improvements they were planning already done and a walkout basement. Their place sold for nearly 30% more than they paid for it 3 years ago. It's nuts.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. You only have hear-say. Someone told you, so you believe it.

Not the case. Even if I scanned copies of the autopsy and hospital records you'd say I photoshopped them. But whatever, anything else I say at this point would get me banned.

Not the case. Even if I scanned copies of the autopsy and hospital records you'd say I photoshopped them. But whatever, anything else I say at this point would get me banned.
Yeah, the hospital gave you the autopsy reports, I'm sure HIPAA rules allowed that. Again, you are only repeating what someone told you.

Yeah, the hospital gave you the autopsy reports, I'm sure HIPAA rules allowed that. Again, you are only repeating what someone told you.

The family has them you ****tard. Why would I go to the hospital for them. And why is my best friend going to lie to me about this? You are a ****ing idiot.

The family has them you ****tard. Why would I go to the hospital for them. And why is my best friend going to lie to me about this? You are a ****ing idiot.
Maybe he misunderstood. All I'm saying is that it strains credibility, when you've been repeating what is said all over the internet. Not just the death, but repeating other things which are false. Maybe you got the one wrong report, out of hundreds of thousands. Maybe you are just credulous .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back