new beacon cost for 1969 Cherokee?

jmarine225

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jmarine225
Well I went to take the bird out for a night flight this evening and while preflighting, I observed the 50 year old fat, rotating beacon, lighthouse style, had a bulb out. It was still spinning but the light wasn't working. I've been looking into replacing the whole unit anyway to something a bit more modern as it can barely be seen at night when it is working. With that being said, I'm looking for a regular strobe type beacon to replace it with. Anyone have any suggestions and costs? I have one estimate here for a used beacon but I'm thinking of putting something new in it for a bit more money.

I've considered it but the prices are ridiculously higher. I'm only using this aircraft to build hours, though I want to visible as much as I can. I can't see dumping $1000 into an LED, just to sell the plane in two years.

raise your selling price a $1000 bucks then ;)

raise your selling price a $1000 bucks then ;)
Hahaha.....yeah I wish. I'm sure I put more money into this than I'll get back. I have a new exhaust pipe and magneto overhaul lined up for next week. SMH

Whelen Orion 360. It’s not $1000. The price difference between it and a new strobe is pretty small.

Just buy a pair of bulbs for your rotating beacon... They are a lot brighter than they look. $30 plus install...

The affordable option (Aeroflash) for new strobes went out of business a few years ago. Now the only game in town for strobes seems to be WAT, and they cost almost as much as a new AeroLed LED beacon.

YMMV!

I can't see dumping $1000 into an LED, just to sell the plane in two years.
FWIW: from a mx perspective, if your main intent is to sell, and it is only burnt bulbs, replace the bulbs as mentioned above as this would be the best bang for buck. 2nd bang would be installing a used strobe system.

How’s $229 for a new strobe and likely slightly more with colored lens.
Call Chief aircraft and ask about the UN FS4400.
It will require a 337 for your aircraft. I’ve been using it on my Archer for years. There is a bit of the metal can that remains visible, but otherwise the price is right.

Your welcome.

How’s $229 for a new strobe and likely slightly more with colored lens.
Call Chief aircraft and ask about the UN FS4400.
It will require a 337 for your aircraft. I’ve been using it on my Archer for years. There is a bit of the metal can that remains visible, but otherwise the price is right.

Your welcome.
Yeah something Gleim this is what I’m taking about. I’ll send to my ap for review. Thanks.

Well I went to take the bird out for a night flight this evening and while preflighting, I observed the 50 year old fat, rotating beacon, lighthouse style, had a bulb out. It was still spinning but the light wasn't working. I've been looking into replacing the whole unit anyway to something a bit more modern as it can barely be seen at night when it is working. With that being said, I'm looking for a regular strobe type beacon to replace it with. Anyone have any suggestions and costs? I have one estimate here for a used beacon but I'm thinking of putting something new in it for a bit more money.

Aircraft Spruce has an out of box sale on a beacon. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/whelen_99-01267.php

I went will all LEDs for the plane just to avoid a surprise of being grounded all of a sudden. To me, that's worth it.
the tail beacon can be as lows as $300 plus install for an LED one if I recall correctly

Back