NA - Farms

After THE war, a number of Allison engines went into the pulling tractors.

Yep, it's hard to get a city girl to go to a farm where she is an immigrant (the whole family wonders if she'll divorce the guy and split up the farm in a few years) and can be very hard to prove herself. Kind of like a Chinese daughter-in-law. Farm wives aren't keen on pre-nups.

On the other hand, as the young men go off to the city, an increasing number of young women are getting into all aspects of agriculture and generally doing quite well. They tend to outwork the men. They custom hire much of the heavy work done although there are plenty who find it's not hard to run an air-conditioned combine.

Going back to work on the farm after college can mean getting back into a "hired man" status with Dad, who is likely good for another 30 years. You're 25 but he orders you around like you were 15. I am 76 and there are plenty of farmers older than I, with auto-steer, hydraulics, etc. I'm still doing most of the farming by myself. Is it any wonder that not even grandkids see a future in the farm when there's little prospect of running it themselves? How many young city girls will add being the hired-man's wife to living in the country?

In addition, if you stick it out and Dad dies when you're 55, the rest of the kids (or their spouses) often want to cash-out like right now, and all of a sudden you find the equity you thought you were building up is gone because it was all promises and the will says "divide equally" even though you put all the work into building it up. "But Dad promised us....." Try to explain that to the 53 year old wife who bought into the dream.

As the neighbor buys up that 160, he sells off the house to a city slicker who wants the idyllic country life but doesn't care that your hog facility was there first, that you've been running the fan on that grain drier for 30 years, that he has to pull over to let your ripper by and that combining beans creates a lot of dust.

Yep, lots of dynamics to growing up on the farm.

On the other hand, I fly off my strip. When I have custom workers come in I watch to make d....d sure they don't drive on my runway. :)

The farmer I worked for when I was in/out/back in college farmed a little over 1,000 acres but also had a hog operation. When I dropped out of college for a while, I worked for him full-time. They were good folks to work for and we got along great - they trusted me to handle things on my own without oversight very quickly. I eventually started thinking there might be a way for me to parlay the experience and opportunity into an operation of my own - find a farm to rent and 'rent' equipment from him and slowly grow from there as I was able. The numbers barely made sense no matter what kind of creative cost splitting I could come up with. Then his small kids started getting bigger and I realized that as soon as they could operate the equipment, I would be gone the way of the Dodo. There really wasn't a positive outcome in sight for me - either the kid(s) would decide they wanted to farm it and boot me out or none of them would want to farm and sold everything off. Either way, I was out in the cold. I eventually went back to school, got a couple of degrees, and now sit behind a computer all day reminiscing of doing fall fieldwork until 3am to stay ahead of the rain.

Couple of the guys I follow are running 60 row air seeders and have hp to run them at 10 mph. The Welkers are running a bit over 10,000 acres and I think it took them about 8-10 days to seed it all, running two Big Buds with air seeders.

New combine will set you back about 900k plus over 120k for a 40 foot bean or corn head. A new Deere 8 series with tracks is well over 500k. Probably running close to 100k in electronics to set up a seeder, tractor, sprayer and a combine these days. Phenomenal amount of data they can collect and run by with that stuff.

Check out Mike Mitchell up in Canada. They're running multiple 84' air seeders and it took them a few weeks to get everything seeded. They have their own AT-402 for spraying in addition to their multiple ground spraying rigs. Crazy.

I eventually went back to school, got a couple of degrees, and now sit behind a computer all day reminiscing of doing fall fieldwork until 3am to stay ahead of the rain.

There are "good" jobs that pay well, and enjoyable jobs that are fulfilling. A lot of times the two don't intersect.

I really enjoyed my summers as a mechanic, and felt they taught me more than anything I learned at engineering school. I've thoroughly enjoyed (and still enjoy) my jobs today, but opening my own shop remains a backup plan if things ever go south.

Gracious. That's a lot of storage. I see a dryer too - you must take it directly from the field?

The farmer I worked for during college was a couple of miles down from a turkey grower that we delivered to every once in a while. Not sure how many roll-up grow buildings they had, but not nearly the storage you're sporting there. They were much more strict on cleanliness and moisture of the corn than the Co-Op was which caused a few headaches when we got down to cleaning the bins.

We generally do all our own buying in-house directly from the grain farmers. Both of those installations are around 5mm bushels storage with 10k/hr @ 5 points dryers, and yes, quality is very high on the list. As you know, some years those dryers sit nearly idle, and some years they pay for themselves in two weeks. Both of those installations are connected to feed mills that can run 110+ tons/hr finished feed.

I love the feed milling component of my job. Like many things, seems easy until you understand the nuances, logistics, and technical challenges.

IMG_8166[1].jpg

I was driving by some corn fields this morning (not unusual for Central IL) and saw 80 acres of farmland for sale. That got me thinking. How many acres does one need to be a solvent farmer (corn and beans)? Hundreds of acres? Thousands? I have no idea.
The guy who bought my Piper 235 was a farmer and had so many acres he bought the plane just to get around his farm to do work.

Both of those installations are connected to feed mills that can run 110+ tons/hr finished feed.
Dayyyuumm... 4 truckloads an hour! Most of the mills I pull from are lucky if they can do that much in a day. Of course we’re talking about Purina. I’ve never seen a more worthless company in my life. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Check out Mike Mitchell up in Canada. They're running multiple 84' air seeders and it took them a few weeks to get everything seeded. They have their own AT-402 for spraying in addition to their multiple ground spraying rigs. Crazy.

Will do. I saw a group up at one of the Canadian farms and they were talking about planting time. Running I think 6 tractors 24/7 to get a bit over 22K acres of wheat in. 50,000 gallon diesel tanks at the main shop for planting and harvest times.

[QUOTE="Kenny Phillips, post: 2943662, member: ] The most I'd ever do is 50-100 acres of hay, to feed the cattle on my hobby farm, 'cuz 99% of it can be done sitting on the tractor.

Having just finished 50 acres of hay, that's the funniest thing I've read in quite a while...[/QUOTE]

Right? Every time I start thinking I want to get the equipment to do it myself, I get knocked back to reality for how much work it really is. Moved 130+ squares out of my barn tonight and I'm beat.

03ad277230afcd1c97c05e3766d90342.jpg

Ranch near my house. :)

Apropos of nothing, really; the fellow who runs his cattle on our acreage recently sent me this:
FD72B0C3-C420-464C-A1DF-7AF378A273F4.jpeg

Just did some back of the envelope cipherin' with a crop farmer friend. Just inputs , seed, fertz, chemicals etc.per acre for field corn#2 around here run about $350 acre. Yields run average 175 bushels/ac. Price today is around $3.30/bu. So if you add in cost of capital and equipment, marketing and admin, not a great time to get rich farming crops, at least here. No idea what yields are in the big square states.

Our horse boarding and training business is doing fine, but the pandemic has really put a damper on competitions across the board.

Back