S-Tec STC

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
I'm looking at buying a used S-Tec autopilot. My understanding is that it cannot be installed in my plane without a new STC. Assuming that's correct, can anyone tell me what's involved in having S-Tec issue an STC for installation into my plane?

Thanks!

I only know from reading on the internet. I've heard the cost of having one removed and re-STC'd for another aircraft is expensive. I believe that's why most used units are sold to experimentals.

I've heard it's expensive, too. That's why I'm trying to get some accurate info...

I have an S-Tec 60, and I'm looking at a 60-2 (with altitude hold). The advantage of that system, for me, is that half of it is already installed. If I were starting from scratch, I'd be looking at some of the new digital systems on the market today.

My understanding is that it cannot be installed in my plane without a new STC
Technically you don't need a new STC rather a new Permission Letter to use the STC for your aircraft S/N from the STC holder. Put together a list of details for your installed system (with existing permission letter) and details of the used equipment you intent to buy (the more the better) then contact the current STC holder. Who knows, maybe they already have an EO out that allows you to simply upgrade your existing system with different parts. Also, might have your mechanic go over your detail lists before you call the STC holder.

That's all you typically get with the STC anyhow. The STC is issued to S-TEC. They just give you permission to use it.

That's all you typically get with the STC anyhow. The STC is issued to S-TEC. They just give you permission to use it.

I badly worded my question, but that is my understanding as well.

I only know from reading on the internet. I've heard the cost of having one removed and re-STC'd for another aircraft is expensive. I believe that's why most used units are sold to experimentals.

What about used units being used as spare parts? I assume that’s legal, it might be cheaper than having parts overhauled by STEC.

What about used units being used as spare parts? I assume that’s legal, it might be cheaper than having parts overhauled by STEC.

I can certainly buy the parts (as a whole system). The question is how to legally install them. I have an S-Tec 60 in the plane now, and adding the components for an S-Tec 60-2 would be, essentially, changing my installation from a 60 to a 60-2. My understanding is that requires paperwork beyond a simple repair sign-off.

Last edited:
I badly worded my question, but that is my understanding as well.
FYI: In my experience, a new permission letter is usually part of the STC data package, i.e., drawings, ICAs, etc. which the holder is required to furnish as well.

Last edited:
I'm looking at buying a used S-Tec autopilot. My understanding is that it cannot be installed in my plane without a new STC. Assuming that's correct, can anyone tell me what's involved in having S-Tec issue an STC for installation into my plane?

Thanks!
I would contract S-Tec, they will know what fits where and will know which STC you need.

FYI: In my experience, a new permission letter is usually part of the STC data package, i.e., drawings, ICAs, etc. which the holder is required to furnish as well.
For a different aircraft you need a new packet, doesn't matter if the parts are used or not.

What new parts does it take to get a 60-2 out of an existing 60? Is the 60 different from a 60-1?

Thanks!

You send the box there along with $1500 and they send it back to you with the gain and inputs set for your avionics setup and a snazzy looking STC.

Make sure the box you buy has all the bits and pieces required for it to do what you need it to do. We left the purchase up to the avionics shop. He only charged some nominal markup and that way he could sort out whatever needed sorting out with genesys. Ours was a 55X from a 24V SR22 that had to be converted to work in a 12V A36 with a NSD360 HSI.

Last edited:
60 to 60-2 upgrade is a new controller and some harnesses (and of course, the paperwork) Runs just under $10,000. The 60-1 IS the conversion kit.

I can certainly appreciate the importance of saving money where possible, and I can look into this for you if you are able to provide the part numbers of the units (including all parts) being used, and the N-number of the donor and new aircraft, then we can see what additional equipment is required. I get this call daily, in fact about 5 different versions of it yesterday...

The first issue is that a 60-2 is not a 60-2, it is a collection of parts specific for one make/model/variation of aircraft. Most all of the major component part numbers and hardware kits are different for different aircraft models, it has nothing to do with the parts being new or used, it has to do with the fact they may not be the correct part numbers for your specific aircraft model. Each different model aircraft has different flight characteristics so the computer and servos require settings and gains specific to model of aircraft they are designed to go in, autopilot computers/controllers and servos are not “standard,” they vary by airframe. For example, if the Autopilot System was coming out of 340A and going into a 340A then it MAY be possible with typically just needing a re-install kit. Going from one model aircraft to another though this is not typically the case. In either case typically a used AP system will NOT include a complete hardware kit or serviceable cables which is why you would need the re-install kit (hardware kit, cables, and the install documentation paperwork). The re-install kit is available for 50% of the list price of a new system.

The difference in part numbers is reflective of the differences in gains and settings on these components. The computer and servos will each need to be returned to the factory to be reconfigured for your aircraft make/model and have the part numbers changed to reflect those required by the STC if they are not the correct part number. The price of sending back each servo and controller to be reconfigured for your aircraft, and purchasing the re-install kit for your aircraft will likely be near the cost of a new system, it would likely make more financial sense to purchase a complete system

You should also find a dealer who is willing to install the system as some dealers may not want to perform this service, and we are only authorized to sell the necessary components and paperwork to an S-TEC dealer who will be doing the install. You can find a list of dealers in your area on this link:
https://genesys-aerosystems.com/dealer-locator

I have an S-Tec 60, and I'm looking at a 60-2 (with altitude hold). The advantage of that system, for me, is that half of it is already installed. If I were starting from scratch, I'd be looking at some of the new digital systems on the market today.

The 60 series came as a 60-2 (dual axis system), 60 PSS (single axis pitch control), or the uncommon and not longer available 60-1 (single axis roll control). We do have an upgrade path from the 60 PSS to the 60-2 (Mid Kit Sixty 1, i know the name can lead to some confusion) which is a list price of $9,989 and includes all the necessary components/hardware (programmer, roll servo, hardware/mounting kit, cables, roll flight guidance computer, turn coordinator). Alternatively, we have an upgrade path from the 20, 40, 60-1, or 60 PSS to the 3100 fully digital attitude based system for the 182 series. This is $12,495 if you already have an S-TEC electric trim installed or $13,995 if you do not. This would give you all the benefits of a new digital system a 2 year warranty on the new equipment AND a fresh 1 year warranty on your existing servo(s) regardless of age.

If you have any questions or if i can be of any assistance please let me know! Thank you and have a great day!

If anyone is interested, I am removing my 60-2 autopilot from a Socata TB20. It is fully functional and has an altitude preselector and also a GPSS converter.

While the new system will cost me north of $22,000 installed, it would make sense for someone that doesn't have an autopilot at all to install this, if the paperwork is about $1,500 as stated above.

Definitely check with Stec before you purchase a used unit. In my experience, you need to purchase a unique install kit for your aircraft, get the part numbers verified as being applicable or they may need to be updated, ideally have the parts verified by Stec that they meet standards, and purchase the install package. You can probably save $ if install a used unit, but not always. Check it out before you buy.

Back