Just landed Harris Ranch (3O8) and its cool

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
We made the under 2 hour flight from San Diego this morning and it was amazing. I couldnt get a clearance theought the LA class Bravo so we flew the SVFR Van Nuys route.

I have never seen LA airspace so busy so it was probably one of the most difficult flights I have made. We even dropped down over Malibu to show my wife the coast. Once we broke free to the North it finally quieted down because through LA was alot of radio work, navigation, watching for traffic both visually and on ADS-B and flying a VOR.

Is Harris Ranch open for meals? They have, as expected, outstanding steak. In normal times we fly down there from the Bay area at least once or twice a year. Haven’t been this year

Fairly narrow runway, isn’t it?

It was super busy today. I was at my hangar and saw plenty of aircraft in the run-up area and taking off. I decided not to fly today as I expected things to get a lot busier and figured it wouldn't be such a relaxing flight, so I wrenched on the car instead.

With the airshows in the area on the 4th of July, I'm figuring that tomorrow may not be a flight day either around the LA basin.

But glad to know that Harris Ranch is serving on the patio. I have been wanting to fly up there but just haven't gotten around it to it yet. (Santa Paula was going to be my destination this AM for breakfast.)

Yeah, were departing tomorrow to the south but were going to stay to the East of the LA Basin

Yep, was there a few years back flying formation with a few other Navions. Nice lunch.

I was just thinking about going up there from San Diego. 2 hours seems like a good pace. I don't think I want to go up there until it cools off a bit though.

It actually wasnt bad at all. Once you land and tie up the hotel will send a shuttle to pick you up. The next morning I walked over and fueled the plane and did my pre-flight while it was still cool so by time we left at noon it was a basic walk around and climb in and go

Shuttle? It only took a few minutes to walk over to the Steakhouse from the ramp.

I haven't been there since they paved the runway. Used to be a cool thing to do every few months...

I send to fly In there when I lived in the Central Valley, It’s just a short walk to the restaurant.

Make sure you tell them your a pilot, they used to offer a discount

I love Harris Ranch. Although I'm not big on alcohol, I do like a glass or maybe two of Pinot Noir with a good steak, and when flying into 3O8 for lunch or dinner I'm limited to ice tea or Arnie Palmer. When I'm driving up or down I-5 and stop there to eat I allow myself a glass of wine.

We made the under 2 hour flight from San Diego this morning and it was amazing. I couldnt get a clearance theought the LA class Bravo so we flew the SVFR Van Nuys route.

I have never seen LA airspace so busy so it was probably one of the most difficult flights I have made. We even dropped down over Malibu to show my wife the coast. Once we broke free to the North it finally quieted down because through LA was alot of radio work, navigation, watching for traffic both visually and on ADS-B and flying a VOR.
Interesting. I’ve flown VFR through LA many times and was never denied the Hollywood Park Route. Always quiet, all the riff raff is below.

Harris Ranch is great. Used to have the loveliest workers at the steakhouse. As in, once she goes to Hollywood, she ain’t never goin’ back.

It's on my list of to-dos for later this year, when Nuclear Summer yields.

The runway's a bit short for my taste. But there's a REALLY LONG ONE just to the West.

Wow, I can't imagine somebody did that intentionally in a White and red C-172 in 1980 with four people on board at about 4:30 pm...

Who would do such a thing? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's on my list of to-dos for later this year, when Nuclear Summer yields.

The runway's a bit short for my taste. But there's a REALLY LONG ONE just to the West.

2820 isn't bad. The bad part is the 30 foot width, if you have a strong crosswind.

Back