FNG

FightingJioux

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FightingJioux
Hey Everyone!

I’m new to this forum and I wanted to introduce myself. Aspiring airplane owner near MSP who gets his fix by driving 737s around. Looking forward to gaining insight into owning my own flying machine!

Welcome. We live on the west side of the Twin Cities.

What kind of plane are planning to buy?

Welcome. We live on the west side of the Twin Cities.

What kind of plane are planning to buy?

Hey! Someone local, that’s awesome! I’ve always had a thing for Comanches. I’d like to get something that’s got 4 seats that I can fill ideally 3 of and top the tanks and go. Do you own?

O M G a three letter airport code AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH how am I ever going to figure out where this is AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH if only there were dozens of tools easily at my disposal to help me figure out this AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

sorry OP, just bustin some people's chops. there are people ("pilots") here who have a hard time looking up airport codes. anyways, welcome.

Hey! Someone local, that’s awesome! I’ve always had a thing for Comanches. I’d like to get something that’s got 4 seats that I can fill ideally 3 of and top the tanks and go. Do you own?
Yes we own...high wing though so we get looked up to :)

Friends I know have Archer 180, Cherokee 180 and a Dakota. Our Cherokee 180 guy is now slowly searching for a 6/300.

Other question is what will be your home field for ownership?. Might get some good help here as well.

Other question is what will be your home field for ownership?. Might get some good help here as well.

I live about 5 minutes from Crystal but I’m not thrilled with the hangar rental prices I’m seeing there. I’ve heard Buffalo is booming...

We have an old 182P.

Cardinals are very nice. Nice big doors and sits a bit lower. We have a 180hp Cardinal on the field too. I thought I saw a 4-share listing for a nice Cardinal out of Flying Cloud.

I live about 5 minutes from Crystal but I’m not thrilled with the hangar rental prices I’m seeing there. I’ve heard Buffalo is booming...
They're probably worse at FCM and STP.

Dont know much about Buffalo. But they usually have excellent fuel prices!

Serious or kidding...I can't tell.

I'm guessing @EdFred owns a Comanche :)

Guess: correct.

Ed has a very nice tip-tanked Comanche 250.

Comanches are excellent airplanes; I fly a Bonanza, love it, but the Comanche has better interior room, and that's a fact. When I was airplane shopping, my "short list" was Bonanza and Comanche, but I ended up with a Bonanza because (1) the plane I liked came up, and (2) my wife likes it better.

Hey, it matters!

In any event, @FightingJioux , been awhile since I flew with your carrier, but was well-treated then. Plus, the whole Braniff heritage thing (thin thread, I know); growing up, Braniff was the deal in Dallas.

Guess: correct.

Ed has a very nice tip-tanked Comanche 250.

Comanches are excellent airplanes; I fly a Bonanza, love it, but the Comanche has better interior room, and that's a fact. When I was airplane shopping, my "short list" was Bonanza and Comanche, but I ended up with a Bonanza because (1) the plane I liked came up, and (2) my wife likes it better.

Hey, it matters!

In any event, OP, been awhile since I flew with your carrier, but was well-treated then. Plus, the whole Braniff heritage thing (thin thread, I know); growing up, Braniff was the deal in Dallas.

A history buff in our midst! Glad you’ve had favorable experiences in the past. They’ve treated me really well and the QoL for me living in the Twin Cities is wonderful. I’m a bigger guy so interior room is high on my list of important features.

A history buff in our midst! Glad you’ve had favorable experiences in the past. They’ve treated me really well and the QoL for me living in the Twin Cities is wonderful. I’m a bigger guy so interior room is high on my list of important features.
Find a Commander 114 and be in hog heaven with 2 doors!

Hey Everyone!

I’m new to this forum and I wanted to introduce myself. Aspiring airplane owner near MSP who gets his fix by driving 737s around. Looking forward to gaining insight into owning my own flying machine!

Owning an airplane is different than renting one or flying someone else's plane for a living. Depending on what you are intending to do, airplane selection based on the flying mission and past maintenance is a good path for a used bird. I look for a well maintained example of the type that has more than half of TBO time remaining on the engine. Get a good AI to do a pre-buy inspection with a good review of the logs, it is worth every penny especially if a problem is found. Read a copy of Buying and Owning Your Own Airplane by James E Ellis to get a good feel of the types available. There are a lot of good birds out there, and it is hard to beat any well maintained airplane of the Piper Cherokee series for good value. They also have a wide selection of capabilities over the Cherokee Family including the retractable Archer and Lance. Fixed gear and fixed prop are the least expensive to keep flying, followed by fixed gear and CS prop. Get one with good grass strip performance if you are just flying for fun. Take your time deciding what type you want and need. Then start looking for birds that are available that meet your needs. One Miracle at a time!

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Welcome to this goofy place.
I would check out fuel and hangar prices at ANE and CFE, I can't help you there as I haven't bought fuel in a while.
As someone else said, Buffalo might a be a good option for you, good luck.

O M G a three letter airport code AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH how am I ever going to figure out where this is AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH if only there were dozens of tools easily at my disposal to help me figure out this AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Ok smarty, where is KFNG?

Welcome to the zoo, from another Minnesotan ... my family's roots are from Little Falls (Pierz) and Grand Marais areas.

You may want to reach out to @Kristin if you're shopping for Comanches. She's based in the Twin Cities and did the prepurchase inspection and initial transition training when I bought my Twin Comanche in Minnesota a few months ago.

Here are the latest fuel prices around MSP (Minneapolis/St.Paul)

(CFE) Buffalo show at $3.87 is always a bit lower, nice airport.
(21D) Lake Elmo is at $3.33.
(FCM) Flying Cloud showing $3.99 but that is at the self serve pump by Modern Avionics.
(ANE) Anoka is showing $4.24 so pretty that is a self serve but I don't know where the self serve is?

FuelPrices.jpg

Welcome to POA...lots of good info and resources here....along with some foolish arguing on the internet of course

Hey Everyone!

Welcome to POA

(ANE) Anoka is showing $4.24 so pretty that is a self serve but I don't know where the self serve is?

Best choice, call the FBO and ask. The Airport Services section of Airnav does not indicate self serve, but does say fuel is 24x7 without a callout fee.

If you want to get a hangar in Buffalo (KCFE)... email the airport manager now. It takes a few years for the waiting list to get to you!

Great location, loved flying out of Buffalo. Got my private at KFCM (expensive to hangar there), and instrument out of KCFE.

Back