F******* another Utah plane down. Four on board

Sure. You can mount the W&B warning device next to the stall warning, gear warning, and low fuel warnings so the pax can see/hear all the warnings in one scan.:rolleyes:
Maybe 2 scans. I get it guys. Just frustrated on how many preventable crashes happen in GA, and wondering what we can do better. But I suppose its like driving a car. Someone wants to go 100mph in a turn on an ici road bad things will happen.

As a flight instructor I often wonder how a low time pilot can so quickly forget things and make mistakes that they should have learned in their first few hours of instruction.

I am surprised how many pilots can’t do weight and balance and performance calculations during their flight review.

This was a flight instructor who taught clients to do weight and balance and performance calculations.

I have flown around this area of Utah a lot and it is hard not to notice the density altitude and mountain winds.

Every single engine plane I have flown has an automatic W&B device on it. It was also called the front wheel.

When the front wheel is on the ground, good to go. When the front wheel is not on the ground, time to move weight forward.....

(for those who have trouble distinguishing sarcasm from reality, this was an attempt at humor. of course I have never used the front wheel to determine CG on a single engine plane....:cool:)

Someone smarter than I can come up with a scale with each aircraft type built in. You weigh yourself and all passengers and luggage. It tells you how much fuel you can have and who should sit where. If available at the FBO, would pilots use it? Unfortunately Darwinism will always prevail in these situations and the ones who should know better are going to take ones who don't with them.

Someone smarter than I can come up with a scale with each aircraft type built in. You weigh yourself and all passengers and luggage. It tells you how much fuel you can have and who should sit where. If available at the FBO, would pilots use it? Unfortunately Darwinism will always prevail in these situations and the ones who should know better are going to take ones who don't with them.
There's an app for that, but it was discovered that having everyone stand on your iPhone shortens screen life.

Every single engine plane I have flown has an automatic W&B device on it. It was also called the front wheel.
When the front wheel is on the ground, good to go. When the front wheel is not on the ground, time to move weight forward.....

(for those who have trouble distinguishing sarcasm from reality, this was an attempt at humor. of course I have never used the front wheel to determine CG on a single engine plane....:cool:)

:yikes: What??

You just eliminated a reliable technique I've been using for years...:tongue:

(Then I simplified my life buying an Aztec and graduated to "if it fits, it flies") :D

A lot have mentioned high density as well as weight and balance, but he did take off and climbed to an altitude that should of gotten him to his destination safely. During the TO and climb he should not of been surprised by the performance, but when he reached the leeward side of prevailing wind, I assume he hit a downdraft. Instead of diving to the southeast trying to get out of the downdraft, he might of continued on a course where he stayed in the downdraft. Often times, visualizing the wind direction and realizing a side step of a 1/2 mile can get one into an updraft. Like many accidents, there are many factors, but downdrafts in mountainous terrain can bring down any plane regardless of being under gross or within weight and balance. Don’t try to outclimb a downdraft, realize what’s causing it and get out of it.

Like many accidents, there are many factors, but downdrafts in mountainous terrain can bring down any plane regardless of being under gross or within weight and balance. Don’t try to outclimb a downdraft, realize what’s causing it and get out of it.

Exactly! Do any of you crucifying the pilot have any experience flying a C172 in the mountains? Believe it or not it can be done safely...

That is exactly how you load a C-207, however. The nosewheel touches only after the pilot jumps in...

That is exactly how you load a C-207, however. The nosewheel touches only after the pilot jumps in...

True, but I did not want to give too much away....

I usually asked the cargo folks for some counter balance assistance, that is hold the tail up until I get in.....

I'm never disappointed when I wonder if I'll see a news story about a GA crash that takes the ineptitude of writers to a new height of stupidity. That this one appeared on the website of an aviation magazine gives it a special award for exceptional stupidity.

It takes real incompetence to link three unrelated incidents into some sort of commonality.

A witness claims to have seen the plane “corkscrew” into the ground. The NTSB is investigating, and they’ll surely be looking to see if the crash is a low-speed loss of control in high terrain, the same kind of accident that claimed the lives of two in an Icon A5 at Lake Berryessa, California. The plane was an Icon A5 amphibian with two employees aboard. NTSB investigators said the probable cause of the crash was flight into rising terrain resulting in a stall/spin accident.

Brummett, who was originally from Mississippi, pitched in college at UCLA and played mostly in the minor leagues, making just a single major league appearance. Another former Phillies pitcher, Hall of Famer Roy Halladay, was killed in the crash of an Icon A5 in Florida in 2017.

I'm never disappointed when I wonder if I'll see a news story about a GA crash that takes the ineptitude of writers to a new height of stupidity. That this one appeared on the website of an aviation magazine gives it a special award for exceptional stupidity.

It takes real incompetence to link three unrelated incidents into some sort of commonality.

This is how good superstitions get started. Perhaps you could start a nice rumor about the underlying connections

Back