Aviation Enthusiast looking to tag along on a flight!

So how about a hint? Where are these airports, or is that confidential? You gonna make me look them up?

You could always fill in the location on your profile so folks will know at least what state you’re in.

If you make it easy for me, it will make me more likely to offer you a flight if you happen to be nearby.

I don't get when people use just the airport identifier. But in this case, I guess if you're in the general vicinity, you would know that it's on Long Island. If you're not and then you wouldn't be able to offer a flight.

But yeah, come on people. Unless it's a class B airport, please include where it is.

But it's much more impressive when one throws out the identifier rather than the name of the airport. It establishes the person's bona fides as someone who has mastered the incredibly complicated skills required to point a Cherokee 140 around the sky.

BTW to the original poster, I'm not criticizing you personally. I hope you find someone to give you a ride.

So how about a hint? Where are these airports, or is that confidential? You gonna make me look them up?

You could always fill in the location on your profile so folks will know at least what state you’re in.

If you make it easy for me, it will make me more likely to offer you a flight if you happen to be nearby.
Hi I’m sorry about that, I just updated it!

Stop bagging on the guy... you either know the identifiers because you are from the area or not..

KFRG - Republic Airport (Farmingdale, NY) [Nassau County]

KISP - Long Island Mac Arthur (Islip, NY) [Suffolk County]

Is this good for you?
Hey thank you, I just updated it. Sorry that you had to do it yourself.

not to mention they'll type a paragraph long rant when they could have typed 3 letters into this helpful thing called the internet that gives u all the answers u need.

Since you're in that area, check out Bayport Aerodrome just of ISP, though fair warning, it may alter your sense of what flying is all about...

Just because you're not familiar with airport identifiers doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't. FRG and ISP are pretty busy GA airports so many people know what the OP was referring to. Stop yelling at clouds, Gramps.

You have your state in your profile. If he had his state in his profile it wouldn’t be an issue. Do YOU know all airports by their designator?

I made a request of the OP and he respectfully heeded my request, but I didn’t call him names.

You have your state in your profile. If he had his state in his profile it wouldn’t be an issue. Do YOU know all airports by their designator?

I made a request of the OP and he respectfully heeded my request, but I didn’t call him names.

Nope, sure don't, but I know most of the major ones.

Next up will be a new thread complaining about why we can't attract new people to aviation.

Welcome Jah-Christo! Not everyone in aviation sits around waiting to criticized newcomers! I am not in the NY area, but I'll bet someone there offers up a ride. If not most flight schools offer an introduction flight pretty inexpensively.

PS I do prefer when people at least include a state when referring to an airport.

I don't get when people use just the airport identifier. But in this case, I guess if you're in the general vicinity, you would know that it's on Long Island. If you're not and then you wouldn't be able to offer a flight.

But yeah, come on people. Unless it's a class B airport, please include where it is.

I don't mind the airport identifiers. I can look those up. The ones I find frustrating are the ones that only list the city. I see this for event notices online a lot. Could you help me out with which state the event is in?

I used to complain about the 3 letter ID thing, but then realized, that if I don't know the identifier, I'm not close enough to worry about it.

There has to be a way to write a browser-add on or a plug-in app for the forms that will identify airport codes when you mouse-over them. Well I know there is, I'm just too rusty and my coding experience is in the wrong language/area to just sit down and do it in an afternoon without a good deal of research.

There has to be a way to write a browser-add on or a plug-in app for the forms that will identify airport codes when you mouse-over them. Well I know there is, I'm just too rusty and my coding experience is in the wrong language/area to just sit down and do it in an afternoon without a good deal of research.

Don't even need an afternoon. I have the text file already. In php it's like 6 lines of code.

It establishes the person's bona fides as someone who has mastered the incredibly complicated skills required to point a Cherokee 140 around the sky.

FINALLY!! Someone said it, thank you. I've said it before, I'll say it again, it takes a highly skilled and handsome pilot to master a Cherokee 140. It also helps to have a rapist's wit. ;)

I used to complain about the 3 letter ID thing, but then realized, that if I don't know the identifier, I'm not close enough to worry about it.
This.Exactly this.

If you have to think to yourself "I wish they would have typed out the airport name for XXX identifier so I knew if I was close." Guess what? You're not close.

Case in point. If you were close enough to offer a ride, you would know where FRG and ISP were.

FINALLY!! Someone said it, thank you. I've said it before, I'll say it again, it takes a highly skilled and handsome pilot to master a Cherokee 140. It also helps to have a rapist's wit. ;)
I never found rapists to be that witty.

If you have to think to yourself "I wish they would have typed out the airport name for XXX identifier so I knew if I was close." Guess what? You're not close. Case in point. If you were close enough to offer a ride, you would know where FRG and ISP were.

I know a lot of people from fly-ins, these message boards, etc. I'm not familiar with the identifiers either, but if for example they give me a location like Maryland, then I would aim that OP at good ole' Gary Mascelli ... I couldn't tell you Gary's airport ID off the top of my head, but there are a lot of "Gary's" out there that are great pilots and would probably be a great ambassador for GA.

Sad... the young chap just wants to tag along on a flight, but instead the thread has drifted to bickering about the use of identifiers instead of a city and state.

Seriously, it takes 2 seconds to copy and paste those identifiers into Google and the first result has your answer.

Sorry OP! :(

Good afternoon, I am based at KFRG and KISP on Long Island, New York. if any of you are in the area, I’d like to tag along on a flight if you’re okay with that. I’m looking to begin training, I do have some experience flying but mostly in simulators such as X-plane and Vatsim

Welcome to POA, now you know what you're in for. Good luck with your search.

I think the correct term is "rapier wit".

Did PoA members wake up and snort a line to start the day off? Seems like a lot of passive-aggressive anger issues going on. The pattern thread with the 206 is another one.

Here we have a new poster that’s interested in aviation and wants a ride. No wonder pilots have a reputation of being grade A arses. :rolleyes:

I would give you a ride brother but you gotta make your way to Utah.

The use of airport identifiers is the European Way, pilots there get frustrated when you call an airport by its real name.... because pilots there commonly cannot spell or pronounce the names of airports within easy flying distance. The phrase ‘Aviation Enthusiast” is likewise European and even more so UK lingo to describe somebody who hasn’t been able to learn to fly, but who like to do so. From this I surmise that the OP might be a European based in the US, or alternately reads a lot of European websites. Anyway a ride to show how it’s done in US GA might be a nice gesture.

Last edited:

Now that I've been flying for a couple of years I feel the same way but early on as a Student pilot I would look up every code if the poster had a location in their thumbnail that was withing a reasonable distance from New Hampshire. Just my $0.02.

Back