…….

I'm sure they can tell you hourly rates for aircraft and instructors. It is best to talk to them and get a feel for the operations.

To save money- fly as often as you can, so your memory gets refreshed often. Study as much as you can outside of flying time, and be prepared for your classes. The less time the instructor needs to explain something to you that you can learn elsewhere, the more time he can spend on new topics, and the less ground time you will have to pay them.

I trained at Heritage at KISP. Not cheap but really excellent! If you are looking to save train our at KISP. From what I’ve been told, KFRG gets insanely busy( I’ve watched YouTube videos that confirm this.). Remember you start paying as soon as that engine starts so if you are number 10 for takeoff that’s a lot of money wasted. I also know they often fly out of KFRG to other airports to practice in the pattern. That was never required at KISP—never waited more than 5 minutes to take off even during busy times.

I currently fly with Mid Island. They are good too but don’t have much experience with their CFI’s or training( just BFR’s).

If you are trying to optimize training costs, a few things outside of hourly rates must be considered, but some are really hard to assess ahead of time:

- traffic volume of the airport impacts taxi time and other factors
- quality of the instructors (it's amazing how much time a poor or inexperienced instructor can waste!)
- quaity of the aircraft maintenance (the more flights you cancel because of maintenance, the more it will cost you in the end)
- quality of the controllers (yes, there are significant differences!)
- your ability to study, prepare, fly frequently, etc.

- your ability to study, prepare, fly frequently, etc.

:yeahthat:

You will get a lot more out of any lesson anywhere if you show up on time and fully prepared. This means doing any assigned reading before you show up! And a list of questions if you didn’t understand what you read.

-Skip

There are too many schools between those two airports to determine who is the cheapest. They are all around the same price. But they all have their differences. Amount of planes, quality of planes, quality of CFIs. You Should take a day, stop at all of them, talk to them. See what kind of vibe you get. Ultimately the money you spend depends on your commitment. If you aren’t studying and taking it seriously you will spend a lot more. Many students tend to think learning to fly is like learning to drive. It’s not!

Back