My new bird

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
So finally my quest for a helicopter is concluded. proud owner of new R44 Raven I
Now during ordering process I skipped almost all the options and went with the pretty much bare bottom flying machine. I figured since I will be flying VFR only I will install after market horizon and use tablet for GPS. After flying several hours on cross countries I felt that its nice to have an installed GPS. I am thinking about a used 430 without WAAS . Any idea how easily its available and cost ? Also for how long Garmin is going to provide support ?
Tried uploading picture but it says file size is too large.
I will try later

Last edited:
Wow... cool!

Last edited:
Congratulations! That'll be a lot of fun.

Garmin 430s are plentiful on eBay and other sites that sell used avionics. As for support, Garmin's current policy for the GNS series is:

"...Repairs will be available for the non-WAAS 400/500 series 28v units with 16W COM Transmitter and all 14/28v non-WAAS 400/500-series units. These units will not be able to be eligible for the WAAS upgrade after May 29, 2020, but repairs will continue to be available after this date."
The GNS 430/530 is a great IFR navigator, but not sure why anyone flying VFR would prefer one of those in a panel compared to a good app, like Foreflight on a tablet or large screen phone?

The GNS 430/530 is a great IFR navigator, but not sure why anyone flying VFR would prefer one of those in a panel compared to a good app, like Foreflight on a tablet or large screen phon

Extra radios
Mounting on windscreen is perilous if it falls on pedals
Reliability and extra GPS

How long have you been flying rotor wing?

Maybe got bare bones base model to keep it affordable, when taking operating and maintenance costs into account.

If you get a used Garmin, your main expense will be in the installation cost. You can later upgrade to a new Avidyne and it’ll be a slide-in.

Congrats on the new bird!

Congrats, looks great. Is the R-44 considered experimental?

IF all you want is a mounted VFR GPS something like this is a much better and cheaper option.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/airgizmos11-14552.php

11-14552a.jpg
10-06025a.png

I agree that a panel mount GPS is a good idea in an R44. An iPad will overheat pretty often in the summer months in direct sunlight. My opinion however, the 430 is a terrible gps in a helicopter. In an airplane the knob twisting is annoying. In a helicopter it can be downright dangerous as it forces you to spend lots of time looking inside doing something that should take a few seconds with a touch screen. My opinion again.... for me something like a 650 would be a better choice if it’s an option. I’ll likely upgrade to a 650 in my 44 for this reason.

When I consider the value of a new R44 and the cost of installing an old Garmin compared to a new Garmin it seems unreaso

I agree that a panel mount GPS is a good idea in an R44. An iPad will overheat pretty often in the summer months in direct sunlight. My opinion however, the 430 is a terrible gps in a helicopter. In an airplane the knob twisting is annoying. In a helicopter it can be downright dangerous as it forces you to spend lots of time looking inside doing something that should take a few seconds with a touch screen. My opinion again.... for me something like a 650 would be a better choice if it’s an option. I’ll likely upgrade to a 650 in my 44 for this reason.

Good thoughts
considering all options right now
Trying to keep cost down
Thanks both of you

If you won’t be shooting approaches, there’s just no need or advantage to a panel mounted navigator. Assuming that You can put an iPad in your lap in the helicopter, an iPad and Foreflight or Garmin Pilot will probably serve you better. If it won’t fit in your lap, there are a number of mounts for it and I am sure you can find one that will serve you well.

If you won’t be shooting approaches, there’s just no need or advantage to a panel mounted navigator. Assuming that You can put an iPad in your lap in the helicopter, an iPad and Foreflight or Garmin Pilot will probably serve you better. If it won’t fit in your lap, there are a number of mounts for it and I am sure you can find one that will serve you well.

I have flown with an iPad in my lap since 2011 and have never experienced an overheat. Just don’t leave it in the direct sunlight.

I have flown with an iPad in my lap since 2011 and have never experienced an overheat. Just don’t leave it in the direct sunlight.

Have you flown with an iPad in your lap while flying a helicopter and in particular an R44?

Congratulations on your new R44! I worked at at Robinson in the 80’s as a newly minted A&P and was always thinking of the Johnny Cash song “One piece at a time” when a shiny new R44 rolled out the door. You’re living the dream!

Have you flown with an iPad in your lap while flying a helicopter and in particular an R44?

That’s why I predicated “assuming that you can put an iPad on your lap in a helicopter.” You apparently did not read all of my post. I also said that if not there are any number of mounts available.

How about reading the entire post before criticizing?

BTW, congratulations on the new helicopter!

Last edited:

I got your point. Tablet on lap is a viable solution although one lap is occupied by a clipboard. I can certainly use other lap for tablet and that will be fine but I would like to have redundancy of radios and GPS

That’s why I predicated “assuming that you can put an iPad on your lap in a helicopter.” You apparently did not read all of my post. I also said that if not there are any number of mounts available.

How about reading the entire post before criticizing?

BTW, congratulations on the new helicopter!

Wasn’t criticizing. I was asking a legitimate question. I’ve had mine overheat quite a bit in sunny conditions, usually when I’d need it most (busy airspace, etc.). I’ve heard from other helo pilots that overheating is pretty common given the size of the bubble.

blueskyMD, congratulations on the purchase. You’re going to love your R44.

what is your primary mission with this new bad boy of yours?

as i have posted before, a new install of a 430 in anything is a waste of money.

I got your point. Tablet on lap is a viable solution although one lap is occupied by a clipboard. I can certainly use other lap for tablet and that will be fine but I would like to have redundancy of radios and GPS

in that case a 430 non WAAS might be a good choice. It would be less expensive than a WAAS and would give a radio that would have frequencies for destinations.

what is your primary mission with this new bad boy of yours?

My new contract job is about 80 NM from home.
I will try to fly home 2-3 times a week. Of course wx permitting.
other than that just to have fun. I went this route mostly because of challenge of flying this machine and its really lot different than flying the Lance

If you want redundancy then go with a battery powered portable GPS in a proper mount. Garmin makes a wide range of sizes, the displays are light years ahead of nearly 25-year old 430 technology, and you are independent of the aircraft electrical system. Same with a good portable radio, which can be wired in through your audio panel, or just use a headset adaptor. Both together, brand new, will cost you far less than an installed 430 and be far more functional with superior redundancy.

Don't misunderstand, I think the GNS 430/530 are great devices for what they were intended to do, but putting one in your VFR helicopter for comm & nav backup is sort of like putting an AM tube radio in a Tesla.

Last edited:
I have a tablet that I mount to my panel and have a dual USB port to power my ADS-B in and my tablet. It's a dedicated tablet with AVARE and FlyQ. I wouldn't install an old Garmin in anything.

doesn't that wooden pallet landing skid setup add a lot of drag? :D

Congrats!

Interesting. I don't have much time in a heli (3 hours?) but in fixed wing I like having the tactile feel of the knob. I find it difficult in turbulence/chop to get my finger to go where it needs to on a touch screen. I would have thought it would be similiar in a heli.

Interesting. I don't have much time in a heli (3 hours?) but in fixed wing I like having the tactile feel of the knob. I find it difficult in turbulence/chop to get my finger to go where it needs to on a touch screen. I would have thought it would be similiar in a heli.

The issue is the amount of time it takes to get the information you need from the unit or to enter information into the unit. For example, entering/editing a flight plan that has a few waypoints could easily take minutes.

Back