Waiting 6 weeks for my PPL Checkride

Gordon Freeman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GordonF
Is it normal to have to wait this long? The DPE seems like a busy pilot (executive jet), with checkrides on the side (no shortage of those it seems). My school likes to work with him, but he's difficult to get in touch with. It takes us a week to get in touch with him, and another week to set a date. So far, the two dates we've scheduled in the past 6 weeks haven't worked out due to weather (understandable). I suppose part of me is just frustrated at the process here. We've got a family vacation coming up in two weeks, and I was really hoping to have my PPL by then. I understand weather dictates when we fly, but I've already had three extra flights with my CFI just to maintain proficiency prior to checkride. With each passing week I'm only getting rustier.

No substance here, just venting. Thanks for reading.

If you’re in westchester, there are about 6 or 7 DPE that work out of FRG.

I had to wait about that long for my CFI ride late last year, shouldn't be any reason to wait that long for a PPL one right now.

It was 6-12 weeks here prior to COVID. I have no idea what it is now.

There’s got to be more than one DPE in the area.

In some areas DPEs are more rare than hen's teeth. A two to three hour cross-country to get to the nearest DPE is not unheard of around these parts.

The demand is off the charts, at least in the NE. My phone rings non-stop. That's probably why you're not hearing back right away.

Best case, it usually takes me a couple of days to get back to most folks. I'm in a 61.58 recurrent right now, and I get anywhere from 8-10 messages per day inquiring about checkrides, so under these circumstances it is difficult to get back to everyone right away. And I'm not even close to being the busiest DPE in the area.

If it's any consolation a year ago I waited for five months in the Chicago FSDO for a private check ride. For instrument I was ready three months before the ride...

I waited a couple of months, did the oral but couldn’t fly due to winds. Took another 6 weeks to reschedule the flight portion.

My DPE was available same week. I got lucky though.

Ask the DPE what he charges, then offer to double it. He'll manage to work you in. :)

Is it normal to have to wait this long? The DPE seems like a busy pilot (executive jet), with checkrides on the side (no shortage of those it seems). My school likes to work with him, but he's difficult to get in touch with. It takes us a week to get in touch with him, and another week to set a date. So far, the two dates we've scheduled in the past 6 weeks haven't worked out due to weather (understandable). I suppose part of me is just frustrated at the process here. We've got a family vacation coming up in two weeks, and I was really hoping to have my PPL by then. I understand weather dictates when we fly, but I've already had three extra flights with my CFI just to maintain proficiency prior to checkride. With each passing week I'm only getting rustier.

No substance here, just venting. Thanks for reading.
My first checkride was scheduled about 6 weeks out. It was rescheduled so many times that I ended up actually flying my checkride about 4-5 months after my CFI told me I was ready. We have three main DPE's the school here and if your area DPE's shut down due to Covid I can see the reason for a backlog.

Wow, that's a long time. And others are saying they've waited months. Just keep flying until the ride. Maybe you could do one or two mock check rides with your CFI, so when the day comes it will be no big deal.

Back