NA// Aftermarket Car Stereos??//NA

wilkersk

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
KennyW
Man, I thought all the fancy new avionics was complicated. A new glass panel install looks pretty straight forward to me, compared to installing an aftermarket Pioneer 2DIN infotainment system in my 2018 RAM!

I bought a used RAM with the basic 5" 2DIN stereo system. I hate the way it only has a tiny digital clock in the upper right hand corner, only when the radio is turned on. I hate the bluetooth interface, I hate the hoops you have to jump through to connect the iPhone. And mostly, I hate that the rearview camera is in the review mirror. Can't see whats behind me in the mirror because the video screen takes up too much realestate. Can't see whats in the video screen because the mirror is essentially a backlight and the screen is too small.

So, I bought a Pioneer AVH1550NEX from Crutchfield. I was assured it was "the bee's knees" for my low budget and specific application. ----But, holy cow!

....I had no idea how complicated it is to install an aftermarket stereo in a newer car. I have an adapter wiring harness, a digital interface, and 4 sets of instructions to follow. I spent most of the afternoon just jumping through the hoops necessary to flash the PROM on the digital interface module so that it would indeed work with my specific vehicle and communicate with my specific radio (by serial number). ---Jeez Louise!

As much as it pains me, I am paying to have a new Bluetooth unit installed in my Ram. I am done with DIY radio installs.

As much as it pains me, I am paying to have a new Bluetooth unit installed in my Ram. I am done with DIY radio installs.

I hear ya. I had to make a bunch of mods and deletions to the "T" harness that will connect the new stereo to the factory wire harness and interface adapter. I made about 15 Western-Union splices to connect the stereo to the "T" harness; mind numbingly tedious work.

If I'd had the right tools, I think I'd just have re-pinned the connector, rather than splice all those wires.

Oddly enough, I'm looking at doing this to a 2012 Camry.

It looks "easy" on YoutTube. the two problems are adding a backup camera, and that I'm mechanically inept.

[Note: If you didn't know I am mechanically inept, you haven't been on PoA very long]

It was a quick plug-n-play operation until about 10 years ago when the stereo became integrated into the "infotainment" system. Now the radio is just a small portion of the whole interface. Makes swapping in an aftermarket unit difficult if not impossible in some vehicles.

For my Mazda6, Crutchfield actually says “we don’t recommend replacing the head unit.”

installing a powered subwoofer - four speaker wires, power, and ground - has so far stumped me and their (very helpful) tech team.

Last edited:
You're lucky it was a 2018. I don't think you can legally change it in my RAM truck. Too much of the vehicle safety features is embedded in the "entertainment" system.

So, this is what I found when I opened her up (Still not installed, stuck now. Waiting for a tech assist from Crutchfield):

50076847286_6c1ef210fc_c.jpg

50076847266_de9ab28ac6_c.jpg

Wow... that's a cluge of a panel. The left picture shows a single DIN slot, whereas the right photo shows a proprietary slot for the radio. You may not be able to get past that unless you want to swap out the bracket.

Alternatively, you may be able to use a Pioneer radio (6.8" touch screen) with a separate display from the body of the radio. I plan to use one of these in my project Porsche 944: Pioneer DMH-C2500NEX

That may simplify your installation a bit as the display face won't require you to change the bracket, and you can push your connectors behind the bracket and down.

Here's a YouTube video that may help to answer some questions you may have on installing an aftermarket radio...

....Here's a YouTube video that may help to answer some questions you may have on installing an aftermarket radio...

Thanks for that! All my searching failed to turn up that video for some reason. So, one of 2 questions probably answered. I suspect the other question on CAN buss connectors will be affirmative.

I think i'll just go ahead and hook it up and test it out before cutting the bracket. If that works, I'm cutt'n that sucka out!

Thanks to @rtk11 and a little more research, I got this stereo thing installed and the backup camera does work the way I want it. In fact almost every works very well. I'm really impressed with the sound. The EQ works great, even the OEM speakers sound 100% better. And, Apple CarPlay is very cool.

The only problem is the hands free/voice recognition function isn't working. Im pretty sure its either a "settings" issue, or the firmware in the Maestro RR interface needs to be re-flashed.

Its crazy how much time I've spent researching this. the actual install only took about an hour.

Pictures, or it never happened.

Back