Flying in Argentina

camel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Camel
In 2018 I flew from Texas to Argentina in a Columbia 400. Recently I've been putting that old footage & ATC audio together into videos. Here are the first 3, covering our trip from central Argentina down to Ushuaia:

Wow, this is awesome. Would LOVE to do this one day. Thank you for posting.

Camel, just wonderful footage! Looking forward to more episodes. Many thanks! Wayne

Cool! I've spent time in Ushuaia and wondered if you landed at the large airport or the small one. You landed at both! Really enjoyed the few days I spent at the end of the world.

Cool! I've spent time in Ushuaia and wondered if you landed at the large airport or the small one. You landed at both! Really enjoyed the few days I spent at the end of the world.

The island of Tierra del Fuego* is a "special customs zone"... so we had to land at the international airport first, go through "customs", and then we flew 0.7 miles to the aeroclub. The Aeroclub is actually the old main airport (before they built the new one). Same thing when we left (next video) -- we had to fly back to the international airport, go through the normal airport police check, and then depart. I didn't mind so much, but the people from the Aeroclub told me they have to do that process every time they go on a cross country flight to the mainland! What a pain.

* Technically the island is "Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego"... while Tierra del Fuego is an archipelago.

Very good video. That is wild terrain to fly over.

I rented a Piper Tomahawk at the Aero Club, and flew up and over the high mountains near Ushuaia. I had intended to fly into Chile so I could log another country flown in, but after admiring the nature of the terrain, decided against it.

The lakes fed from different glaciers, with their widely different colors was fascinating. I had a high overcast, with no wind, so a perfectly quiet flight. My wife was sick, or I would have rented an Archer and taken her with me.

The Aero Club organization is very efficient, and maintenance of their planes outstanding. I flew with an instructor to keep me legal, and assure correct communications with ATC, but I flew the plane except when taking pictures. The instructor was 18 years old, and had fairly good English, which he used exclusively in the air, as required by the manager.

I rented a Piper Tomahawk at the Aero Club, and flew up and over the high mountains near Ushuaia.
If the Tomahawk was orange, I might have seen it, or one like it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 17.11.05.png

Very cool. Great videos. I’ve spent a decent amount of time climbing in a number of those peaks. Too bad you had overcast skies out of Calafate and missed my favorites in the el Chalten massif. Worth a return flight for ya ... and some more epic aerial footage. When are you goin back? =)

edit: not to imply you didn’t catch a ton of beautiful footage of one of my favorite places on the planet. Really a cool video blog.

2C664CCE-9A59-4DBE-97F7-8391C8486410.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool. Great videos. I’ve spent a decent amount of time climbing in a number of those peaks. Too bad you had overcast skies out of Calafate and missed my favorites in the el Chalten massif. Worth a return flight for ya ... and some more epic aerial footage. When are you goin back? =)

I've visited El Chalten and did the day hike, catching a view of Mt. Fitz Roy, and we may have seen it on the flight to Calafate but we weren't sure. It's amazing that no human climbed Mt. Fitz Roy until 1952: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitz_Roy

In any case, I hope to get back to Argentina this year (we'll see)... but probably not with my plane. In fact, here my 2014 time lapse of Mt. Fitz Roy from Laguna de los Tres:

Ha! I’ve got a matching hyper lapse of Fitz from the other side. You captured yours from one of the best viewpoints anywhere. Amazing isn’t it?

The scary part is sometimes the winds up there almost seem to make a hyperlapse look slow! =) I’ve been blown off my feet there before. Good days to not be in an airplane I guess...

I just published the next video, where we fly from Ushuaia up the east coast to Buenos Aires, Argentina. Hope you like it!

Back