Coming clean on medical. Tell FAA or just apply for a new one?

G

Yes, yet another ADHD thread. I mistakenly omitted a previous “diagnosis” of ADHD when I initially got my 3rd class medical years ago. Recently when reviewing my records, I found the diagnosis and realized that I screwed up. I’m trying to get this corrected and have stopped flying. Would it be best to call the FAA and tell them or get everything done prior to getting a new medical (cogscreen, records, etc.) and just apply for a new medical?

Yes, yet another ADHD thread. I mistakenly omitted a previous “diagnosis” of ADHD when I initially got my 3rd class medical years ago. Recently when reviewing my records, I found the diagnosis and realized that I screwed up. I’m trying to get this corrected and have stopped flying. Would it be best to call the FAA and tell them or get everything done prior to getting a new medical (cogscreen, records, etc.) and just apply for a new medical?
When you sign the form, you certify that it is correct to the best of your knowledge. So if you didn't know about this diagnosis, you maybe didn't screw up. But you do have a diagnosis that may be disqualifying according to the FAA and they'll yank your medical given the chance.

You don't say whether you actually have this condition, but based on the fact that you didn't know you were diagnosed, I could infer not.

If that's the case, then before you go running to an AME or the FAA, I would suggest that you VERY CAREFULLY read and understand the requirements for flying under Basic Med, Light Sport, or no medical (gliders, LTA). Consider whether you actually need a 3rd Class for your mission.

When you sign the form, you certify that it is correct to the best of your knowledge. So if you didn't know about this diagnosis, you maybe didn't screw up. But you do have a diagnosis that may be disqualifying according to the FAA and they'll yank your medical given the chance.

You don't say whether you actually have this condition, but based on the fact that you didn't know you were diagnosed, I could infer not.

If that's the case, then before you go running to an AME or the FAA, I would suggest that you VERY CAREFULLY read and understand the requirements for flying under Basic Med, Light Sport, or no medical (gliders, LTA). Consider whether you actually need a 3rd Class for your mission.

Im just a guy that likes to buzz around and take the family on the occasional cross-country. It’s my understanding that BasicMed would not be valid, as I never disclosed my ‘Mental Disorder’ to the FAA initially. I’ve talked to AOPA and they just regurgitated the regulations. I think for my own peace of mind I should just get this straightened out instead of risking enforcement action and insurance nullification in the event of an accident.

Im just a guy that likes to buzz around and take the family on the occasional cross-country. It’s my understanding that BasicMed would not be valid, as I never disclosed my ‘Mental Disorder’ to the FAA initially. I’ve talked to AOPA and they just regurgitated the regulations. I think for my own peace of mind I should just get this straightened out instead of risking enforcement action and insurance nullification in the event of an accident.
I can't comment on what you will have to due since you mistakenly put down you don't have any diagnosis when in fact you did. As per getting an SI, its not hard at all. Its just a neuropsychological evaluation and thats it as long as you only have ADHD. It could be $2,500 to $4,000 but not too hard. Do you live in the northeast OP?

I can't comment on what you will have to due since you mistakenly put down you don't have any diagnosis when in fact you did. As per getting an SI, its not hard at all. Its just a neuropsychological evaluation and thats it as long as you only have ADHD. It could be $2,500 to $4,000 but not too hard. Do you live in the northeast OP?

I’m on the East Coast, but not the Northeast. I’ve talked to two neuropsychs near me.. One charges $4000 and requires the FAA already knowing about it, the other charges $1500, but has a poor reputation by word of mouth. I know for a fact that I don’t have ADHD, but my biggest worry is sleeping poorly and bombing the test despite my desire to do right by the FAA.

You have to use one of the FAA vetted neuropsychs. To get to them you have to go through a HIMS AME.

Just curious....how would the FAA ever find out that you were diagnosed with ADHD? Is it in your current medical record that your doctor has on you?

Just curious....how would the FAA ever find out that you were diagnosed with ADHD? Is it in your current medical record that your doctor has on you?

Yes, it’s on my record from my GP from when I was a teenager. My fear is having my records subpoenaed in the event of an accident and my insurance nullified/legal action.

It’s crazy how they can diagnose you so easily. My mother had brought me in ‘concerned’ something was wrong because I wasn’t getting straight As.. Came out of the appointment with an ADHD diagnosis after being asked a couple of questions.

How is not the operative word. The problem is that IF they find out, he'll be in for a world of hurt. The longer he spends in aviation, the more he has to lose. These things have a bad way of rearing their ugly head even though a casual application wouldn't detect them.

OP how do you know you don’t have ADHD?
I’m convince a person with Adhd can pilot a small plane. It’s the stupid faa thinks they can’t without a demonstration.

Yes, it’s on my record from my GP from when I was a teenager. My fear is having my records subpoenaed in the event of an accident and my insurance nullified/legal action.

It’s crazy how they can diagnose you so easily. My mother had brought me in ‘concerned’ something was wrong because I wasn’t getting straight As.. Came out of the appointment with an ADHD diagnosis after being asked a couple of questions.
Yup. If it's on your record, it's potentially discoverable. Sounds like you got caught in the ADHD fad from years ago where untrained and knowledgeable GP's were making that diagnosis routinely even in kids with normal, low-level performance or behavioral issues.

Best to consult someone like Dr. Chien to determine your next steps. Apparently it's a tricky landscape you're entering.

Last edited:
OP how do you know you don’t have ADHD?
I’m convince a person with Adhd can pilot a small plane. It’s the stupid faa thinks they can’t without a demonstration.
You've never seen someone with real ADHD then. They might be able to land today, but a whole flight tomorrow might be out of the question. It's rightfully disqualifying if you actually had it. The problem, as others have pointed out, was that it was far too easy for teachers to suggest, and doctors prescribe.

Dr. Bruce is definitely part of the gold standard for these issues. But if his plate is full up, then I recommend Dr. Stephan Kramer of Plano, TX (just north of Dallas) as an alternative. He is a Senior HIMS AME who is known around the region for making difficult cases move through the system like goose buttah on ice skates.

I guess you should ask yourself why you were going through those old records, and whether it was reasonable for a teenage-you to know what you were diagnosed with at the time (i.e., did you take meds for it?).

It’s my understanding that BasicMed would not be valid, as I never disclosed my ‘Mental Disorder’ to the FAA initially.
On what do you base this understanding?
I think for my own peace of mind I should just get this straightened out instead of risking enforcement action and insurance nullification in the event of an accident.
If you report this to the FAA, they will revoke your medical. Will that give you peace of mind? Why do you think this will affect your insurance coverage?

I know for a fact that I don’t have ADHD....
I'll suggest that you carefully read the basic med regulations and FAR 61.53. And act as you feel prudent.

My understanding is that the FAA can't revoke a medical certificate after it has expired. You could stay self-grounded until that time, and after that, you could do a BasicMed exam with a state-licensed physician, reveal your complete medical history to that person, and he or she can make the decision about whether you're safe to fly, without involving the FAA in the decision. My impression is that practicing physicians who have seen the applicants in person tend to be a lot more reasonable about what tests, consultations, and expenditure of funds they require, than the FAA is able to be from hundreds or thousands of miles away.

If you decide to go that route, I don't see where any purpose would be served in confessing your error to the FAA as long as you remain grounded.

Full disclosure: I have no medical or legal expertise; this is just my opinion. As others have said, you should read the relevant regulations.

Every response in this thread, except those recommending consultation with a professional, points out the necessity of a consultation with a professional...and not talking about it on social media like this,

My understanding is that the FAA can't revoke a medical certificate after it has expired.
They can revoke his other certificates if they feel he lied on the application.

My understanding is that the FAA can't revoke a medical certificate after it has expired. You could stay self-grounded until that time, and after that, you could do a BasicMed exam with a state-licensed physician, reveal your complete medical history to that person, and he or she can make the decision about whether you're safe to fly, without involving the FAA in the decision. My impression is that practicing physicians who have seen the applicants in person tend to be a lot more reasonable about what tests, consultations, and expenditure of funds they require, than the FAA is able to be from hundreds or thousands of miles away.

If you decide to go that route, I don't see where any purpose would be served in confessing your error to the FAA as long as you remain grounded.

Full disclosure: I have no medical or legal expertise; this is just my opinion. As others have said, you should read the relevant regulations.

I’ve thought about this a lot, but after consulting with my AME and AOPA legal.. nobody really knows how that would work in the event of an investigation since BasicMed is still so new. I’m just going to get it cleared up to be safe.

I’ve thought about this a lot, but after consulting with my AME and AOPA legal.. nobody really knows how that would work in the event of an investigation since BasicMed is still so new. I’m just going to get it cleared up to be safe.

What about waiting for your medical to expire and then confessing to the FAA?

:dunno:

Also, would there be any advantage in using an attorney who is knowledgeable about aviation medical issues as an intermediary?

Certainly the conservative approach. Just bear in mind what it will cost you, in terms of time and money.

I assume you will need to prove to the FAA you don’t have ADHD. Likely requiring a neuropsychologist evaluation and a forensic psychiatric evaluation. Each of those will be several thousand $. Then a 6-12 month wait for the evaluation by the FAA aeromedical folks.

I would definitely consult with the expert senior HIMS AMEs on this before taking any further steps with the FAA.

To the OP:

This one, if not connected to other co-existing diagnoses (depression, anxiety, etc) is pretty simple and can be resolved in about 6 weeks if you score strongly. If it's ONLY ADHD/ADD an none of the other items....you may even make it on the intial screening battery which is ~$1,300.

Use the link in by sign lie if you want to get me a message....

I would not reapply until you had what we know is necessary to get a favorable outcome.

Dr Bruce Chien

I assume you will need to prove to the FAA you don’t have ADHD. Likely requiring a neuropsychologist evaluation and a forensic psychiatric evaluation. Each of those will be several thousand $. Then a 6-12 month wait for the evaluation by the FAA aeromedical folks.

As a recent data point, they only had my neuropsychological evaluation for three weeks and my psychiatriac evaluation for two days before issuing my SI. I'm not sure that 6-12 month wait is as accurate now as in the past.

I think I finally figured out what he was trying to say:

"Use the link in my sig line if you want to get me a message..."​
Hehe yeah. But his occasional “loss of control” with the autocorrect can make for some humorous results. Especially this one using “lie” and us knowing how strongly he feels when airmen lie on the forms

It was an ironic auto-screw-up for Bruce. I grinned when I saw it for exactly that reason.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back