GTN VNAV Option Not Present

Timothy Burchett

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I just installed a GTN 650 loaded with 6.70. When I looked at the Flight Plans settings, there is no option for VNAV anywhere as there should be per the instruction manual, and I couldn’t find VNAV anywhere. Any ideas why the options simply aren’t there?

Do you have the iPad simulator? Try it on there to see if you have a setting that needs to be enabled vs just knowing which menu to follow.

If you don't have VNAV on the GTN you probably have VCALC...which if you don't have an autopilot capable of flying a VNAV profile I find to be more useful anyway. If I recall correctly, VCALC and VNAV is a setting that can be toggled in the super secret Garmin menu that your avionics guys get into.

I just installed a GTN 650 loaded with 6.70. When I looked at the Flight Plans settings, there is no option for VNAV anywhere as there should be per the instruction manual, and I couldn’t find VNAV anywhere. Any ideas why the options simply aren’t there?
Did you go to the Utilities menu and enable it there? That's where it's turned on and off. Go to the home page and scroll to the bottom. Utilities is a pane there, VNAV should be on the top left.

Thank you all for the input. Yes, I compared the trainer app to my unit, and the options aren’t there. The same is true for the Utilities Menu. It says VCALC with no option to toggle to VNAV.

There's a setting in the "dealer" set up screen to switch to VNAV. The dealer should have enabled that as part of the install.

There's a setting in the "dealer" set up screen to switch to VNAV. The dealer should have enabled that as part of the install.
Anyone know where the setting is placed in the huge setup menu? I know how to get into the configuration menu and this seems like an easy option to toggle.

Second configuration question: if I change my Default Nav on the GTN, it doesn’t automatically change on the GI-275, and I need to manually change it on that too. Is there a way to link these functions so changing the default nav on the 650 also changes it on the 275? Thanks.

Follow..I had VNAV and the setting on my GTN650. The installer messed with a couple settings in the G5 and now the VNAV option is gone in the GTN650. I looked in the G5 setting and VNAV is still selected. I have software version 6.5 in the GTN.

Garmin is useless because they always say to take it too dealer as if it’s like going to Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took mine to the HD service counter. They gave me a 3# sledge.

Follow..I had VNAV and the setting on my GTN650. The installer messed with a couple settings in the G5 and now the VNAV option is gone in the GTN650. I looked in the G5 setting and VNAV is still selected. I have software version 6.5 in the GTN.

Garmin is useless because they always say to take it too dealer as if it’s like going to Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There shouldn’t be anything that one could change on the G5 that would disable that on the GTN. It might not display properly on the G5, but should still be there on the GTN unless they disabled the option. You can check the setting by booting the GTN to config mode (hold home while powering on the unit) and scrolling to and tapping ‘Navigation Features’, then tap on ‘Options’ next to ‘Vertical Naviation’ and seeing what is selected there.

Following as I have a GTN 650 and do not have the VNAV option either.

What else do you have in your panels? VNAV requires more than just a GTN...

Vnav requires a baro corrected altitude input to the gtn

This! I have a GTN 750, GTX 345, etc but I still have my six-pack. VNAV is not an option, nor should it be with my setup. The GTN does not know what your barometric altitude is, thus it cannot do VNAV. It needs to be connected to a source of baro-corrected altitude data, like a G5, GI 275, G3X Touch, or G500 (TXi or otherwise). There are other options - I could get a King air data computer that would interface my altimeter with the GTN - But I'm getting a GI 275 installed in a couple weeks which is a much better idea. :D

Back