Furniture for the poor CFI

The pictures are funny. You can just imagine the girl saying, "If you can't afford a real couch, you can't afford me." And the guy smiling back saying, "You're funny Darling." And her saying, "No joke!"

I wasn’t sold till I saw the cup holders.

True story in 2018 I lived in a 1br apartment with an air mattress, a tv on the floor, and a few pieces of cookware. I eventually moved my mattress away from the wall and sprayed bugspray around it every few days cause roaches lol.

I would have loved to have the sofa.

True story in 2018 I lived in a 1br apartment with an air mattress, a tv on the floor, and a few pieces of cookware. I eventually moved my mattress away from the wall and sprayed bugspray around it every few days cause roaches lol.

Hey, I went through a divorce like that also.

BTDT too. Long ago. Luckily the roaches stayed mostly in the kitchen. The couch was someone’s third hand me down. When I moved out of the place we threw it off the third floor balcony.

BTDT too. Long ago. Luckily the roaches stayed mostly in the kitchen. The couch was someone’s third hand me down. When I moved out of the place we threw it off the third floor balcony.

Yep - good times! I had a similar experience after moving 1200 miles to the coast for my first jet job. Other than a futon cushion I used as a bed, I had nothing. Found a hand me down sofa that only vaguely smelled like cigarettes. The next purchase was my TV, which I put on top of a couple of milk crates I took from behind a nearby grocery store. Didn't have the roaches, though!

On the plus side, I was within biking distance to the beach and my apartment complex was right next to a local university. I was still in my mid-20s so it wasn't creepy to hang out with the girls, and because it was a middle of the road school, the girls didn't have too much self respect to hang out with a dips*t like me! I was also excited to have a shiny new ATP and type rating in my pocket.

It's funny how money can make things more comfortable, but certainly some of the best times in my life were when I was flat broke.

Some of these posts remind me of the Yorkshiremen sketch

I slept on one of those for three years while I was moving every six months...

Being an old man of 34 when I started flight school, I had a few dollars tucked away so I rented a garage apartment just for myself. I was able to buy a small kitchen table, 2 mis-matching chairs, a recliner, a tv cabinet, a couple art deco end tables and a single bed for a total of about 42 dollars at a storage unit auction. I got a Tv from a motel that was replacing their Tvs with newer ones.

The reason I spent so much is because there was an A hole that thought it was funny to run up my bids, until I let him buy a few things he was running up the bids on. I was no newbie at auctions.

When I finished training, I gave everything away to the flight instructors apartment. There was something like 10 guys staying in a 1 bedroom apartment, all sleeping on the floor.

It's funny how money can make things more comfortable, but certainly some of the best times in my life were when I was flat broke.
Absolutely. Money buys security, but other than that mostly it buys stress and complexity.

My college apartment was just barely livable but we didn’t care as the rent was only $500.

The only furniture we had was a tv stand, a broken couch, a plastic 8’ fold up table, and computer desks in our bedrooms. I slept on the floor on a blowup queen air mattress.

It was an awesome three years and sometimes I’m amazed how cheaply we lived.

Absolutely. Money buys security, but other than that mostly it buys stress and complexity.

I slept on the floor of my apartment after moving away to take my first job. Bought cookware and furniture one piece at a time as I saved money from each paycheck. As fondly remembered as those times are, being poor is a ***** and I doubt many of us would want to return to those days to live that way indefinitely. :eek:

Too much money buys stress and complexity. I know a lot people with a lot more wealth than I have, and damn few of them are very happy. :(

I've long been a subscriber to the view that I don't want to have too much money; just enough to be able to have control over how I spend my time, and not have to worry about paying next weeks bills (the security part).

Last edited:
Years ago we found an inflatable sofa at Walmart that was the same color as the Navion. We'd inflate it and tie it down under the wing of the Navion at Oshkosh back in the days we actually camped right at the plane.

I know several folks that make a very good living. That is they don't work for money, their money works for them. And they all are very happy with that. Most of them do volunteer work to keep busy, when they are not out flying their plane.

Just because taking things out of context is so much fun...
:D

Don’t tell my girlfriend that!! :D

Sounds a little uncomfortable, but a nice dedication to aviation.
:D

Well she’s been rode hard and put up wet in the back 40.

True story: Our fraternity hazing consisted of pushing an abandoned Queen Air down the 5000’ parallel taxiway and back. It unfortunately stopped along with the tarmac parties after the university gave up control of the airport. The back side of the airport was an awesome place to “park”. :D

Back