Where to fly this weekend?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
I've got an airplane from 6am until noon on Friday - where should I go? The airplane is a Cherokee 180, I plan at 110 kts departing RDU. I could leave earlier than 6 if there's a reason to, but noon is a hard return time...really before noon because I need to have the plane refueled for the next pilot

My thought right now is a 400-500 mile loop to fill in more states on my map. Routes PA-OH-WV or TN-KY-WV are what I'm thinking, depending on weather. DL-NJ is a possibility too.

Or I can just go somewhere if anyone has suggestions. There's nothing Friday on Social Flight, so where do I go?

There is an airport on the Delaware Water Gap where you can tie-down and jump on one of the hiking trails. Of course my brain will not provide me with the name of the airport, right now.
Might be a stretch for a 6 hour window.

There is an airport on the Delaware Water Gap where you can tie-down and jump on one of the hiking trails. Of course my brain will not provide me with the name of the airport, right now.
Might be a stretch for a 6 hour window.
Stroudsburg-Pocono, N53 perhaps? The runway is in poor shape, but it's closer to the water gap than is Blairstown, on the NJ side.

I’d keep it at an hour out or so, stop for a bite. If no airport diner, take a courtesy car to the local eatery.

Hatteras or Ocracoke, or both. Toes in the sand. Picnic breakfast on the beach. Back before sunburn time.

PA is probably a stretch. Looks like the closest airport in PA is 249.4nm from RDU. There and back is at least 5.5 hours (you're most likely gonna have a headwind for part of it) and in a PA28, you're gonna need a fuel stop.

Middlesboro, KY is a nifty little airport in a valley. Cheap fuel last couple times I was there.

Something like BLF 1A6 GCY gets you into WV, KY, TN...but is also 521nm.

PA is probably a stretch. Looks like the closest airport in PA is 249.4nm from RDU..
It's a mile shorter (LOL) to VVS in PA. Land, take the crew car up the mountain to Ohiopyle State Park. On the way home shoot a touch and go at MGW to scratch WV off the list.

Been to first flight. 6 hours is not enough to see the place, not with all the walking. Fabulous flight in though and landing at Kitty Hawk might be better than standing up at the memorial and looking down the hill where they flew.

I think it’s down to someplace at the beach for breakfast and a trip around the outer banks or a round robin to Bristol / somewhere in KY / Bluefield and back to Raleigh. On a longer flight, there’s no time to stop for more than gas.

Back