Help from the wise!

Dustin Reoch

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dust8713
Hi, I’m new to the forum and hoping to get some help. I have been wanting to get my pilots license for a long time. I live in Indianapolis and have a couple training/school options in my area. However, as most know they are pretty expensive. Are there alternatives? I guess I’m wondering/hoping for opinions from all of you for the following- Knowing what you know, if you had to go back and start from the beginning, would you pay to go through an actual course? Are there better or less expensive routes? I know this is probably a pedantic question. I just feel like I’m forced into only one option. Can I learn from another pilot, obtain flight ours, and then just take tests and check rides without going through “the system”? Thank you for any and all help/opinions.

The most cost effective in my area is a private club - assuming you've got time and money to use it! I've been through 3 clubs now, but each was the most cost effective way to learn to fly at the time. Cheaper plane rental, multiple (mostly) planes, multiple instructors to choose from (not hopping around, but finding one who you gel with) plus a relatively low fixed monthly fee. I don't know if there's one in Indianapolis or not. The fixed monthly fee (and possible buy in) will burn some money so if you're not able to fly often this may not be the best route. But if you can fly 2-3 times a week and can schedule that in advance, a club can be very cost effective.

Having let the last couple of sentences of the original post penetrate my brain: You have to have a minimum number of logged hours of instruction which must come from a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI). Learning from another pilot (assuming you meant a non-CFI) is possible though potentially risky-they may be a fine pilot but teach poor stuff and/or poorly. But you'll still need the required hours logged by a CFI and CFI sign offs for solo hours, etc. I really doubt you'd save much if any.

Last edited:
Can I learn from another pilot, obtain flight ours, and then just take tests and check rides without going through “the system”?
If (and only if) that another pilot is an instructor. You need to log specific instruction, only an instructor can sign you off for the required solo flight, etc.

What I'm about to say will be unpopular, but it's my opinion.

If there's a glider operation near you - I'd start FIRST with gliders, and get a PPL Sailplane rating.

THEN transition to PPL Airplane.

Might cost a lot less in the long run, and you'll be a "better stick".

You spend the expensive $ in the airplane - learning to handle the power - vs. learning airmanship as much.

Don't know - I didn't do this myself, and I don't know many that chose this path. But in retrospect it seems really, really sensible.

You will see the terms Part 141 and Part 61 as you do your research....if you are all out of sleeping pills, go to www.faa.gov, select Regulations, and scroll down to read these Parts in their entirety. Part 141 schools are required to use an FAA-approved syllabus, and to meet specific requirements for classroom space, etc. They are called "approved" flight schools and, in spite of the fact that fewer flight hours are required to complete the course, are usually more expensive. Ground school is required. The school may have an approved text that they want you to use, and your graduation certificate from the 141 school is your approval to take the written exam.

Part 61 is not as structured as Part 141. Your instructor can and should use a syllabus but is not required to. This is the type of training you get when you go down to the airport and look for a sign that says "flight training." If they use the word "academy" it is most likely Part 141. Ground school is not required but there is a small industry devoted to publishing test prep courses and books. You will have to pass a knowledge exam, which is the test they prep you for, and in order to take the practical test (checkride) you must submit a passing grade.

Once you have your private pilot certificate in your hot little hands, how you got to that point, 61 or 141, is irrelevant. To a prospective employer, if you advance to a commercial pilot certificate, all that counts is flight hours and how you accumulated those hours...500 hours at your local airport doing touch-and-goes is not as meaningful as one 500-mile trip landing at more than one airport: experience, in other words.

Good luck on your adventure.

Bob Gardner

@jsstevens - has the best suggestion. Seems like you are from a populated enough location that clubs should be a good option.

So if you don't mind risk, this approach would probably be about half the cost of a standard training program. It also means needing a chunk of money that you can tie up for 2-3 months:

Get your medical first
Buy a online ground school course, complete it and take the written.
Find a local and available CFI (not at a FBO). Come up with the hourly cash rate agreement (ideally $30..40/hr or so).
Get to know a good mechanic (A&P, IA)
Find a Cessna 150 in "just good enough shape". Have the mechanic check it. Then buy it. Probably around $12K..$15K
Park it on the ramp (not preferred but is often free in many small airports).
Fly at least 4 times per week out of your small un-towered airport which will minimize taxi and wait times.
You will probably solo in under 15hrs and finish in about 55hrs but lets use 60hrs.
Sell the plane for a $1000 loss.

You will burn about 360gal of fuel. At smaller airports this might be $4.50/gal ==> $1650.

The plane will need 1 oil change ==> $50

There is usually some ground instruction before and after a flight. Of the 60hrs above lets say 15 are solo. So that means 45hrs of actual flight instruction and probably another 20hrs or ground before/after so a total of 65hrs of CF time at $40/hr ==>$2600.

The medical, online ground school, written exam, flight exam, cheap headset, stuff, etc will probably be around $1000.

So you are now at $5300 of money you will not get back.

Then sell the plane.

So PPL training in your own plane, which ensures you get all the hours you want when you want, would cost you about $6500. But you would need $20K in advance to pull it all off.

I don't really advice this approach. You would need a good flying mentor to assist with ownership stuff. You would need to be someone who takes things very seriously and listens. If you are in the klutzy forgetful crowd this is not for you. You should be mechanically inclined (eg oil change). And good insurance only covers so much. So you could be out the entire cost of the plane for many reasons. However there are many people that buy a 150/172/Archer and go from zero to PPL in it. They save some money. But the fuel and CFI time will cost you no matter what.

@jsstevens - has the best suggestion. Seems like you are from a populated enough location that clubs should be a good option.

So if you don't mind risk, this approach would probably be about half the cost of a standard training program. It also means needing a chunk of money that you can tie up for 2-3 months:

Get your medical first
Buy a online ground school course, complete it and take the written.
Find a local and available CFI (not at a FBO). Come up with the hourly cash rate agreement (ideally $30..40/hr or so).
Get to know a good mechanic (A&P, IA)
Find a Cessna 150 in "just good enough shape". Have the mechanic check it. Then buy it. Probably around $12K..$15K
Park it on the ramp (not preferred but is often free in many small airports).
Fly at least 4 times per week out of your small un-towered airport which will minimize taxi and wait times.
You will probably solo in under 15hrs and finish in about 55hrs but lets use 60hrs.
Sell the plane for a $1000 loss.

You will burn about 360gal of fuel. At smaller airports this might be $4.50/gal ==> $1650.

The plane will need 1 oil change ==> $50

There is usually some ground instruction before and after a flight. Of the 60hrs above lets say 15 are solo. So that means 45hrs of actual flight instruction and probably another 20hrs or ground before/after so a total of 65hrs of CF time at $40/hr ==>$2600.

The medical, online ground school, written exam, flight exam, cheap headset, stuff, etc will probably be around $1000.

So you are now at $5300 of money you will not get back.

Then sell the plane.

So PPL training in your own plane, which ensures you get all the hours you want when you want, would cost you about $6500. But you would need $20K in advance to pull it all off.

I don't really advice this approach. You would need a good flying mentor to assist with ownership stuff. You would need to be someone who takes things very seriously and listens. If you are in the klutzy forgetful crowd this is not for you. You should be mechanically inclined (eg oil change). And good insurance only covers so much. So you could be out the entire cost of the plane for many reasons. However there are many people that buy a 150/172/Archer and go from zero to PPL in it. They save some money. But the fuel and CFI time will cost you no matter what.

This works if all goes well. But with only one plane, you can be down for days or weeks for some small airworthiness item that can't be deferred. That's why a club with more than one training plane (in my opinion) is better. Also, with a club you don't have a chunk of money tied up in the plane. You may have a smaller chunk tied up in a club share-depends on the club. That said, having your own plane has other advantages: it's just how you left it. You can take it places (with your CFIs permission as a student) more easily.

What's your end goal as a pilot?

Another alternative to consider is Sport Pilot. https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/sport_pilot/ You can save the cost of a medical exam, which depending on your situation might be $100 or $10,000. The required number of hours is half that of Private Pilot; you won't actually get finished in that amount of time, but it still will likely be fewer hours than a Private just because you won't have to do night flying and the cross-country is shorter.

A Sport Pilot certificate will limit you to light sport aircraft (LSA). These are small, two-seat airplanes, but they're still real planes and quite capable. You'll be able to fly yourself and one passenger anywhere in the US and the Bahamas during daytime, visual flight rules (VFR) conditions. LSAs have limited load capacity, so if you take a passenger your baggage will need to be pretty light, but people do tour the country in them.

Also, many older, legacy aircraft qualify to be flown as LSAs. Cubs, Ercoupes, Luscombes, Taylorcraft, etc., and these can be inexpensive to purchase.

And, if you later decide to become a Private Pilot, all your Sport Pilot training hours will count toward it.

BTW, medical - spend some time surfing the POA medical forum. You really should see a medical examiner for a consultation prior to the exam. Lots of things can trip you up. If you were ever diagnosed with ADHD, or with depression or anxiety, or if you ever had a DUI, or got caught with a joint, or any number of oddball medical conditions, the medical can become very lengthy and VERY expensive. Tread cautiously!

if you are all out of sleeping pills, go to www.faa.gov, select Regulations, and scroll down to read these Parts in their entirety.

Nooooooo! Don't do it!! Don't look into the time vortex!... Aaaaauuuuugghh! :)

All you need to know right now is:
Part 141 is lingo for a "formal school", where things are structured and will feel like "school".
Part 61 is less formal, where your instructor can structure things however he or she chooses.
Neither is better or worse than the other. Think about what style you prefer as a learner -- do you crave the structure, or are you happier taking learning into your own hands?
In both styles, you'll have to pay for the rental of the aircraft** and the instructor's time. So there aren't really any low-cost alternatives or shortcuts.

** This is the biggest line-item in the cost breakdown spreadsheet, so if you're renting and there are options, choose the smallest/cheapest plane you can fit into comfortably and still get off the ground in when there's an instructor on board. There are other options than renting, as others have pointed out, such as joining a club or buying your own plane. These still involve expense, just different expense!

Coming to terms with the expenses of things, and not cutting corners, is one of the hardest things about learning to be a pilot...

Ground school is not required but there is a small industry devoted to publishing test prep courses and books. You will have to pass a knowledge exam, which is the test they prep you for, and in order to take the practical test (checkride) you must submit a passing grade.

Even in Part 61, there is still required "ground training". In addition to things like online courses, CFI's are expected to record the details of any ground training they do in students' logbooks these days, and examiners do scrutinize them to make sure it's been done. (This is new; they didn't used to!) So one cannot do a "purely self-study and then just show up for the test" style thing.

The most important thing is to find an instructor with whom you communicate well. Only way to know this is to "test-drive" a few of them. It's totally "socially acceptable" amongst CFI's to do this.

Good luck!

CFI's are expected to record the details of any ground training they do in students' logbooks these days, and examiners do scrutinize them to make sure it's been done. (This is new; they didn't used to!) So one cannot do a "purely self-study and then just show up for the test" style thing.

Kath, when did that change? Is it very recent?

It's only been a year since I went from SP to PP, and my instructor didn't log any ground instruction and the DPE didn't look for it. I did self-study for the test, showed my CFI several high scores on practice exams, and he endorsed me for the written. That was about it.

It's only been a year since I went from SP to PP, and my instructor didn't log any ground instruction and the DPE didn't look for it. I did self-study for the test, showed my CFI several high scores on practice exams, and he endorsed me for the written. That was about it.

I learned this in summer of 2018 when going for my CFI certificate, from my instructor at the time. "The FAA really wants to see this these days," he told me, "ground stuff not just done, but actually *logged*". He recorded all of his ground training of me in my logbook, with hours and everything. Unrelated to endorsements for the written.
When I went for the CFI checkride, the DPE *definately* scrutinized that section carefully. The following summer (2019), I sent a student to the same DPE, who looked for it in my student's logbook too.

I learned this in summer of 2018 when going for my CFI certificate, from my instructor at the time. "The FAA really wants to see this these days," he told me, "ground stuff not just done, but actually *logged*". He recorded all of his ground training of me in my logbook, with hours and everything. Unrelated to endorsements for the written.
When I went for the CFI checkride, the DPE *definately* scrutinized that section carefully. The following summer (2019), I sent a student to the same DPE, who looked for it in my student's logbook too.

Hmmm..... Interesting. Must vary by region and by CFI / DPE folks. There's not an AC or anything about it, is there?

I didn't get any significant amount of ground instruction for either SP or PP anyway, so I don't know what they would have logged. AFAIK, there's no minimum requirement. I did self-study using the PHAK and the AFH, reviewed sample questions from an ASA book, and then did a bunch of practice tests using Study Buddy.

BTW, @Dustin Reoch , the only study materials you really need are the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge ("PHAK") and the Airplane Flying Handbook ("AFH"). Both are available as free pdf downloads from the FAA. Courses such as from Gleim or King might be helpful depending on your personal learning style, but they're not really essential and they do cost a few hundred bucks.

BTW, @Dustin Reoch , the only study materials you really need are the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge ("PHAK") and the Airplane Flying Handbook ("AFH"). Both are available as free pdf downloads from the FAA. Courses such as from Gleim or King might be helpful depending on your personal learning style, but they're not really essential and they do cost a few hundred bucks.

And toss in the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) and the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) for references. Also available for free download from the FAA.

And toss in the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) and the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) for references. Also available for free download from the FAA.

Agreed! Since sleeping bills are verboten the night before flying, I just read the FAR.....

Agreed! Since sleeping bills are verboten the night before flying, I just read the FAR.....

As long as you don't drop it on your face when you fall asleep. That sucker is heavy.

Dustin,

First, you need to determine what type of flying you want to do. Do you want to become an airline pilot? Instruct? Fly banners? Do you want to travel? Or, do you simply want to putz around just simply enjoying the fun of flying.

There are several different ratings based on what you're wanting to do. First, there's the light sport rating. For this, you need a valid driver's license for your medical, then 20 hours minimum instruction. Minimum is the key word here as many pilots take more time that the bare amount required - for any rating. At some point you will be able to solo and get your license after a minimum of 25 hours (5 solo plus 20 with the instructor). Again, the word minimum is the issue. This rating is great for those who want to just putz around their home turf. It does limit you to 2 seats though, so you can only take one person with you. Depending on the aircraft and instructor, it can be a stepping stone to the next level.

Next would be your private pilot rating. There are 2 types of medicals you need for this - either a basic med or a 3rd class medical. Basic med has a limit on the size of aircraft you can fly, but for most flight training, it will do just fine. You can fly for personal business, but can't fly for hire with this rating. It's good for travelling.

After that, you could go for a commercial rating, but without the instrument rating, you're limited to daylight hours within 25 miles of the airport.

There are more ratings to be acquired if you want to fly for the airlines. Google an organization called AOPA for more info on the ratings. You can also go to the FAA's web site for info on the ratings.

If you want to go the light sport route, simply google Light Sport Indianapolis and you should find some options.

Good luck!

Steve

Dustin,

[snip]

Next would be your private pilot rating. There are 2 types of medicals you need for this - either a basic med or a 3rd class medical. Basic med has a limit on the size of aircraft you can fly, but for most flight training, it will do just fine. [snip]

Steve

One correction: To use Basic Med you must have had a valid Class 3 or better medical with in the last 10 years. So you cannot simply proceed to Basic Med for your private cert.

Great catch! Thanks for the correction. I forgot you had to have a valid class 3 or above before you qualify for a basic med.

61.105 (a) for private. Similar requirement for commercial.

Back in the day, when I was a DPE, I saw hardly any ground training logged...but I did not send anyone home for that reason. It seems to be a given in the industry that passing the written checks that block. Intellectually, I know that there should be a ground session before each lesson: ("This is what we are going to do today...let's review what the syllabus calls for and what the completion standards are.") and a debriefing after each lesson discussing what was accomplished and which goals were not met. The instructor gets paid his/her hourly rate. What is more likely to happen is a walk from the office to the airplane, start engine/Hobbs, land at home base, walk to office, log and charge for Hobbs hours.

Bob Gardner

61.105 (a) for private. Similar requirement for commercial.

Back in the day, when I was a DPE, I saw hardly any ground training logged...but I did not send anyone home for that reason. It seems to be a given in the industry that passing the written checks that block. Intellectually, I know that there should be a ground session before each lesson: ("This is what we are going to do today...let's review what the syllabus calls for and what the completion standards are.") and a debriefing after each lesson discussing what was accomplished and which goals were not met. The instructor gets paid his/her hourly rate. What is more likely to happen is a walk from the office to the airplane, start engine/Hobbs, land at home base, walk to office, log and charge for Hobbs hours.

Bob Gardner

Don't forget that 61.105(a) contains an "or" statement.

A person who is applying for a private pilot certificate must receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor or complete a home-study course on the aeronautical knowledge....

Nothing to log if the student does home study.

And 61.105(a) isn't really addressing a pre-flight or post-flight briefing. (a) points to (b) which is all the knowledge areas covered by the written test.

Let me add M2C having recently completed flying. (Lots of good advice already given BTW)

1) What is your ultimate goal? Private Pilot or doing this as a career? I ask that because that will force you to think either beyond PPL or just PPL at the moment. Me? This is a hobby, so I did Part 61 so it was flexible to work around my full time job. As I wan't going "pro", I wasn't fitting the job around the flight training, it was the other way around.

2) What is your current situation?
I ask because a PPL will cost $12-$15k or so. Don't start until you're financially able to spend that within a 6 month to 1 year time frame. Don't borrow money. Don't start and stop, dragging it out over years and taking weeks / months between flight lessons. It won't stick, and you'll pay a lot more in time and money. Eat beans and rice, cut way way back and save until you have the entire amount. You don't want lack of money to stop you right before the finish line.

3) Don't do Sport Pilot. I started that way, but the reality is that there are no Sport planes to rent.

4) Can you pass a 3rd class medical? IF yes, as soon as you've saved the $ for lessons, get it. If after reading the requirements you don't think you can pass, ask for confidential assessments from other smart people if it is possible to get one. IF you can't, then you will have to kick over to Sport and deal with plane availability.

5) Don't buy a plane. You have enough going on with out having to deal with a broken plane, etc. A school can offer multiple planes and CIF's so you can switch if one is down, isn't working, etc.

6) Then do the written test. That will put you a little further ahead, not have to pay for as much ground school, etc.

7) Then do your flight training. A club can be a great choice. Interview all of the clubs, schools in your area and see what works the best.

8) An odd sounding point - but for me it was the biggest "I wish I would have". Get an high level noise cancelling head set. Bose or Zulu 3. Try both on and go with one that fits the best. You'll be much more comfortable, and be able to learn more quicker.

If there's a glider operation near you - I'd start FIRST with gliders, and get a PPL Sailplane rating.

THEN transition to PPL Airplane.

Might cost a lot less in the long run, and you'll be a "better stick".

You spend the expensive $ in the airplane - learning to handle the power - vs. learning airmanship as much.

I agree completely. The only reason I did not learn gliders first is that I heard the training is slow in glider clubs. Which is true.

BUT there are lots of commercial operations where you can do your private in about 2-3 weeks of full time training and these weeks can be split up like 1st week to solo, then come back and work to nearly ready for checkride. Take the written then come back and brush up and do the checkride.

Major operation here in Phoenix AZ and in Moriarity NM if you like the southwest. Others around the country.

Flying gliders first is what I usually recommend to new students these days. You really learn how a set of wings and controls handles in the air. This is how the Wright brothers first learned to fly.

Hi, I’m new to the forum and hoping to get some help. I have been wanting to get my pilots license for a long time. I live in Indianapolis and have a couple training/school options in my area. However, as most know they are pretty expensive. Are there alternatives? I guess I’m wondering/hoping for opinions from all of you for the following- Knowing what you know, if you had to go back and start from the beginning, would you pay to go through an actual course? Are there better or less expensive routes? I know this is probably a pedantic question. I just feel like I’m forced into only one option. Can I learn from another pilot, obtain flight ours, and then just take tests and check rides without going through “the system”? Thank you for any and all help/opinions.

Yes, there are other options. You can rent a plane or buy one, hire an instructor, and take the tests without a formal ground school program, and probably do it cheaper and just as well.

I am in Indianapolis, and hangar my plane at Eagle Creek. I did my private at Indy Metro-- the FBO there is now Tom Wood. My experience there was fine, but it is all going to depend on who you get as a CFI there. I did my IFR through a freelance instructor using my own plane. I actually started my IFR using the same CFI that I did my private with and hired him directly because I liked him so much, but he went off to the airlines and I found an alternate freelance instructor. He does do some instruction through the FBOs at their flight schools, but I just went to him direct and cut out the middle man.

There is also a pretty reputable flying club with several airplanes at multiple airports with CFIs that I believe can instruct in their planes. You might reach out to them to see if that is a viable option. https://www.sky-vu.org/ I am not a member, so I can't tell you much about them from personal experience, but their reputation is pretty good. It's been around a long time.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for all of the information. So, from what I have gathered, it sounds like I need to start with Medical and "interviewing" CFIs - including any local clubs I can find? I have actually already read the PHAK and AFH (the PHAK twice). This has been something that I have wanted to do since my grandpa took me flying when I was a kid. Its really been on my mind for the last five years, which is why I have done a lot of studying and actually purchased a few testing apps to keep my knowledge somewhat fresh. I would have committed sooner, but my wife (fiance at the time) really wanted to go to nursing school. So, I held off to support us both while she has been in school full time. We are now married (as of April 25th - in our living room due to the pandemic) and she graduated nursing school in December. She takes her board exam in a couple weeks and will finally be able to go back to work. So, I'm not letting my opportunity slip by anymore. My goal as a pilot would be probably best described as hobbyist. I'm a huge DIY'er and really love learning new things (most of which is via forums and research). I know I already want to work towards an IFR, and probably further beyond that point for multi-engine, etc. It just never dawned on me to look into Pilot Forums for help. I am really happy I did, as you all of have very generously answered my questions so well. So, thank you again. I have the money saved up- slightly more than what it sounds like I need, since we had to cancel our destination wedding. I have a good job in the medical device industry, but I do work a lot (60 hr weeks is not uncommon for me, as I work in the operating room assisting surgeons with elective and trauma surgeries). So, it sounds like the part 61 approach would be ideal for working around my work schedule? For those of you that live in seasonal areas, is there a good or a bad time to start this process? In other words, is there any reason why I should or should not start school in the middle of summer? That's probably a pedantic question, but I wasn't sure if for any reason I might find myself saying "man, I wish I would have waited a little longer, to learn from someone more experienced during winter". As far as the medical aspect goes, I think I will be fine? One of the posts was a little concerning where it described the "set backs" from the medical exam. I have somewhat regular physicals and am required to stay up to date with pretty much every vaccine known to man, given my job.

Again, thank you all so much. I can't say how much I appreciate you're willingness to help out a beginner.

And the airman certification standards (ACS)

Hate to say this, but there is no cheap way to get your private. Or any rating, really. Fact of the matter is it is expensive. And from my limited knowledge, sometimes trying to cheap out on the training makes it more expensive in the long run.

Recommendations from someone who went through this recently - get a good online ground school kit. I used King. Others are good too. Get your medical out of the way to make sure there are no surprises. Link up with a CFI who you bond with. Someone who's teaching style matches your learning style. Then dedicate as many weekend days/nights a week as you can. If you do this piecemeal where you are taking a lesson once ever few weeks, your training will drag on. Twice a week was good for me.

Most important maybe - dive in and be engaged in every minute of it. If you are passionate about learning to fly and really understanding how it all works, then you will not only get through training more quickly and cheap-ly, you will enjoy more of it. I enjoyed every minute of it right down to the checkride with the DPE... well ok reading the PHAK was a bit dry.

good luck!

Regarding your medical, be certain that there will be no issues before you submit an application. A consultation with an AME is highly recommended before you start the exam and application process.

Lots of people have screwed up here and torpedoed themselves.

As far as the medical aspect goes, I think I will be fine
90+ percent of people pass without a problem, but don't confuse good health with the ability to pass the FAA medical. They are looking for things like past mental related diagnoses - ADHD, Depression, etc., past DUI, past loss of consciousness, a "bad" (in the FAA's eyes) medication. Stuff your regular doctor likely wouldn't consider significant. The form linked here is obsolete (all on line now) but the questions are relevant - anything that pops up as a yes in 17,18,19 should be something to be looked into before any actual FAA medical exam...
OTOH, If nothing pops up, chances are you are good to go.

1) Congrats on the wedding!
2) Well done that you have the cash in hand and won't go into debt.
3) Half Fast is spot on - consult with an AME before you schedule your 3rd class medical. I'll guess that you're under 40, so your 3rd class will be good for 5 years.
4) If medical is good to go, then get the Sporty's or King's PPL written test app/material and dig in.
5) Since you have the cash in hand, start setting this up as soon as you can find the time. You'll be able to train more in summer than late fall / winter because of less daylight. Don't know how flexible your job is, but at that time of year you'll have to fly during work hours. It is doable - just a not as convenient.

Oh, almost forgot - if you'll be renting a plane during training, renter's insurance can be a good idea. You can get it through AOPA at a slight discount if you're a member.

60 hours a week work is going to make it tough. In order to make your best progress through the private, you are going to want to fly twice a week. That means scheduling three times a week, and expecting at least one of those is going to get canceled due to weather. You can do it on one time a week, but that is really going to drag it out. Less than once week, and you are just treading water, and not progressing. You can fly in the winter months, but less often than during the summer. Trainer aircraft are hot on the ground during the summer months. Pre-flighting during the winter can suck. Storms and low ceilings will ground you while training for your private. No reason to delay if you need to. You're going probably going to encounter it all from start to finish here in Indiana. I started in January, and finished in August.

Oh, almost forgot - if you'll be renting a plane during training, renter's insurance can be a good idea. You can get it through AOPA at a slight discount if you're a member.
My insurance guy can get a slightly better deal than the AOPA brokerage. Anyone wanting his info can send a PM asking for it. Happy to share.

If your trying to save over the long run and don’t mind an initial investment I like the idea someone mentioned about purchasing an airplane. I’ve owned a number of airplanes used to obtain ratings. Yeah, you might have it down for airworthiness situations occasionally, but that’s not the norm and it’s normally not very long. Usually you can find a way to schedule it to fit you training scheduling. Maybe work on ground school if happens to be in maintenance. I like to keep my planes simple due to cost. Mostly Cessnas have been my choice but now the 172s are going for outrageous money. A C150 would probably be ideal to start with. You’ll likely get all your money back from your initial investment once you sell it. It’s so much cheaper when your just paying for gas. Once your signed off for solo you can just go out and fly around at your convenience without having to deal with a tight flight school rental schedule.

Back